Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

The Lakes Dubai advice.

The Lakes Dubai advice.

Old Nov 22nd 2010, 7:36 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Lakes Dubai advice.

Originally Posted by Ethos83
What's wrong with Satwa, darling?

I'd be tempted to go for a fancy 3-bedroom apartment for 140K rather than a smaller villa. I've warmed up considerably to apartment living after several years in a villa. 140K should get you a 3-bedroom flat on a high floor with stunning sunset views in the Fairways/Links/Golf Towers in the Greens, or sea vew in the Marina.
did three years in an apartment, not good with kids.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 7:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
the Zulal's have an upstairs landing as well as a study.
This is what we have... makes a great gym
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 7:46 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
This is what we have... makes a great gym
they aren't a bad size, much bigger than the Springs !
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 4:26 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cromptonenator
I don't see how agents are leeches - it's in their best interest to persuade the landlord to lower his price, so that they get paid faster -think about it:

Say the real market price is 100,000 AED. If the property is listed from the agent at 110,000, it will take longer for the property to go. A deal of 110,000 AED would only make the agent around 2750 AED, whereas a deal of say, 95,000 AED would make the agent 2375.

Now, if I were given the choice to get 2750 AED in 1 month's time or 2375 AED today, what would I choose? Dubai is an expensive place, and as an agent, to cover costs you want to have as much cashflow as possible.

Add to that as well advertising property is very expensive business - like all services, you have to pay a premium, but it's not totally unreasonable.
lol - well, all too often LLs (and gents) would prefer to have a place empty for months rather than lock in to a lower rent. Been there, done that. The LL finally managed to get the property rented 8 weeks after we'd expressed our interest... ooo, losing, er... ah, 15384.60, rather than take a 10k hit on the yearly rent. Dimwits.

Anyhow, we're in an apartment and really enjoy it - even with 2 toddlers. The trick is to look at the facilities, accessibility and area too, rather than get wowed by the actual flat and how snazzy the lift lobby might be. I'm constantly astounded by how cheap the bills are for it too, compared to a villa. You might find some lovely spacious places in Business Bay, for example, but if the pavements haven't yet been finished outside, then your wife won't be a happy bunny upon your return. We're in the Marina and it's really come along in the last 2 years... it's really, really nice.

Don't get me wrong, sometimes I'd love a villa with a garden, but it'd set off a chain of other costs/ events - car for me (not currently needed), bills, potential isolation, extra travel time to friends/ schools/ activities, etc.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

Dubai Blue is an unknown quantity at this point

Apartments are great for toddler age children but one you have young teenagers then you need the space and areas to cycle &c (IMO)
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 4:50 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dubai Blue
Apartments are great for toddler age children but one you have young teenagers then you need the space and areas to cycle &c (IMO)
sorry, didn't see you have teens!

I'd still suggest keeping an open mind (I came out adamant that it was villa or nothing and ended up living on the 35th floor!) and explore areas - not just by car, but by whatever means you'd use the space.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 5:52 pm
Just Joined

Ok good point. I'll have a proper look around in Jan.

Thanks for the advice.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 9:45 am
Just Joined

Just for the record and for anyone else looking , I did find a nice end villa in Zulal in The Lakes with 3 beds for 140k and without using an agent so these prices are possible. Now the family is here (and with the kids able to walk to DIA in the morning) I can see that it was the right call for us.

Did you move in the end Bluecat?
Old Sep 13th 2011, 11:06 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

She dumped her family into the middle of the desert out by Al Barsha.

Last I heard she was seen selling homemade pork terrines on the streets of...er...Times Square Centre.

Just for the record and for anyone else looking , I did find a nice end villa in Zulal in The Lakes with 3 beds for 140k and without using an agent so these prices are possible. Now the family is here (and with the kids able to walk to DIA in the morning) I can see that it was the right call for us.

Old Sep 13th 2011, 6:41 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
She dumped her family into the middle of the desert out by Al Barsha.

Last I heard she was seen selling homemade pork terrines on the streets of...er...Times Square Centre.
Class
Old Sep 14th 2011, 5:58 am
When in doubt, mumble.

Poshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud of

Blue Cat is living in my Utility room on The Springs, the most rubbish maid I have ever had !

((( Loving The Springs )))
Old Sep 14th 2011, 6:10 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poshy
Blue Cat is living in my Utility room on The Springs, the most rubbish maid I have ever had !

((( Loving The Springs )))
there is nothing wrong with the Springs, especially comparing it to the lakes..to be honest they are both shit, as is the meadows..The standard of the villa's are shocking.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 6:18 am
Just Joined

Well IMO in all cases you get what you pay for. Build quality is not good in Lakes or Meadows but from what I saw in the Springs it's even worse. But living in these areas is not about the villas, it's about the lifestyle, the community, the kids playing together safely &c &c.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 6:18 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
there is nothing wrong with the Springs, especially comparing it to the lakes..to be honest they are both shit, as is the meadows..The standard of the villa's are shocking.
i viewed a 3 bedroom (2E) in the springs the other day. it looks okay from the outside (once you get over the american suburb feeling), but inside it is just shit. small living room, tiny kitchen with rubbish cabinets, tiny bedrooms, awful bathrooms...and to top it all off it wasn't cheap! it was the first (and last) villa i will ever look at in the springs!
Old Sep 14th 2011, 6:21 am
When in doubt, mumble.

Poshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by commander
Nothing wrong or Shit ?

I like The Springs, it's alright but then we are new here and don't have much to compare it to yet within our Rent Allowance, near The School, Villa is big but a bit tired after being a rental for 7 Years, it's an end one, nice big garden, it's okay...

Hate the white tiled floors though

We have this Villa until April, don't know if we will stay another year or look for something new.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.