Knitting

Old Aug 19th 2011, 12:57 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Knitting

Oh dear, this has gone a bit pear-shaped.

Just to clarify, all are welcome here, but as per the site title the majority of people who hang out on BE are British and so the culture, sense of humour, banter etc reflects that. I believe that was what Blue Cat was trying to convey, she is not being racist.

I am sorry that some feel that the responses are abrupt and off-hand, (perhaps they could have been worded a bit differently) but please bear in mind that many have been members here for many, many years and have helped 100's over that time. In that same vein they can be a bit short when people just pop up and ask questions with no prior research, and have not searched the forums at all for similar questions etc. It can be a bit frustrating, hence the responses you are seeing here.

We try and be as welcoming as possible to new members, but in return new members need to take some time to read around the forum to get to know the way things work, get to know the other members, and above all search to see if the questions they need to ask have been asked prior.

Please don't let a few abrupt posts put you off this forum. If you stick around you will really see how much good has come out of this section. Friendships have been made, help has been given, experiences shared.

To end I just want to say that if any members get stuck on anything on the site I encourage them to privately message myself, the Moderators or Concierges if they don't want to post on the main forum, and we will do all we can to help. I know entering a new community can be daunting and believe it or not I don't like to see any new members put off from posting here. I just want us all to get along

Thanks
Old Aug 19th 2011, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by winter snow
Wow, are you like the most friendly person here! I don't know if it gets cold at night to be truthful, Algeria is a really hot country during the day and it gets cold at night,
where my parents live in Spain it can be 45C in the day but it is cardigan weather at night so pardon my ignorance,Only in the winter

I was led to believe that is the purpose of such forums to find out what you don't know. As for toys, I want to know if you bring loads because the quality in Sharjah not so good there is nothing in Sharjah that is good or do you leave them because they are amazing.

Are you always this sharp with people? Or is it you enjoy being in ME so much you don't want any more expats to come over.
Actually darling ..yes, I am 1 of the more friendly people here....trust me, you really don't EVER want to upset Mata Hari or Meow

My point is, the questions that you are asking seem, to me, somewhat daft. These are questions that you can find the answers to by allowing google to be your friend.
http://www.clubairtravel.co.uk/holid...r-climate.aspx
http://www.timeoutdubai.com/shopping...713-toy-stores
http://stitchnbitch.org/Outside-Unit...w-details.html

I don't often defend BC ( sorry darling ) but, you are completely out of order calling her racist and unhelpful.
Anyway, I truly hope you enjoy Sharjah!!!!
Old Aug 19th 2011, 1:52 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I am feeling the warmth
Old Aug 19th 2011, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I am feeling the warmth
LOl..bask whilst you can darling xxxx hahahhahahaaaaaa
Old Aug 19th 2011, 1:59 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
LOl..bask whilst you can darling xxxx hahahhahahaaaaaa
I am hoping it's not shortlived!! I was going to arrange for you to get your hair done ....

Old Aug 19th 2011, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Did that person actually say that it gets really cold here at night in the winter? Holy smoke!
Old Aug 19th 2011, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mentalist
Did that person actually say that it gets really cold here at night in the winter? Holy smoke!
No I think she said "Algeria is a really hot country during the day and it gets cold at night, where my parents live in Spain it can be 45C in the day but it is cardigan weather at night so pardon my ignorance,"

it would be "cardigan weather" at night in the winter here ..defo not in the summer :-)
Just another case of people NOT researching properly
Old Aug 19th 2011, 4:07 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

What an absolute shower these people are
Old Aug 19th 2011, 5:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Knitting

Oh my god....this thread is getting ridiculous....Keep it up and it'll get closed.

All new members, from any nationality are welcome here, but as mentioned, the name is in the game, so it is a fair assumption that one be a Brit unless they mention other wise. That still doesn't make any difference.

Anyone joining a internet forum regardless of the purpose of that forum would be expected to do a simple search of the forum and at the very least Google.

It's common courtesy. There are plenty of threads and articles in the wiki that cover a lot of the commonly asked questions, any one who does a little research on their own will get far more help than someone who wants their hand held through out, that's just the way of forums. Can't be bothered to search out the simple stuff then why expect anyone else to?

I'm not even going to approach the racist comment, that's just being ridiculous.

Now get back to your knitting
Old Aug 19th 2011, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

winter snow is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
Oh my god....this thread is getting ridiculous....Keep it up and it'll get closed.

All new members, from any nationality are welcome here, but as mentioned, the name is in the game, so it is a fair assumption that one be a Brit unless they mention other wise. That still doesn't make any difference.

Anyone joining a internet forum regardless of the purpose of that forum would be expected to do a simple search of the forum and at the very least Google.

It's common courtesy. There are plenty of threads and articles in the wiki that cover a lot of the commonly asked questions, any one who does a little research on their own will get far more help than someone who wants their hand held through out, that's just the way of forums. Can't be bothered to search out the simple stuff then why expect anyone else to?

I'm not even going to approach the racist comment, that's just being ridiculous.

Now get back to your knitting
Thanks for your comment and yes it is out of hand how a small somewhat reasonable question develops like this. However, you assume everyone has a great knowledge of how to use forums. I have used google and found shops but basically that wasn't my question, my question was really related to knitting and I think that you will agree your forum does not have much information from previous threads about this. Also it was about if there were knitters in ME do they knit for charity as I do realise it is a hot place to be, am not so silly. Thirdly, the toy aspect was a throw in question as a by the by, do you bring them with you or do you buy new? your Thread searching is time consuming and not that easy to find something relevant.

I am grateful for the comments though as I will be better informed of the expectations of a forum. I was somewhat under the impression that they were for helping newbies not for making someone feel inadequate!
Old Aug 19th 2011, 7:47 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Please don't feel inadequate, honestly the majority here are a great bunch, sometimes it just takes a little while to get to know everyone.

Please give it a try and hang about for a bit. The best thing to start is to read as many of the post as you can and I'm sure you will get a feel for things and pick up some great tips along the way.

I'm not a knitter myself, but I've heard that www.raverly.com is a great community for knitters, although I don't know if they are worldwide or not. But maybe someone there may be able to give you some pointers with regards to supplies etc for the ME.
Old Aug 20th 2011, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sue
Please don't feel inadequate, honestly the majority here are a great bunch, sometimes it just takes a little while to get to know everyone.

Please give it a try and hang about for a bit. The best thing to start is to read as many of the post as you can and I'm sure you will get a feel for things and pick up some great tips along the way.

I'm not a knitter myself, but I've heard that www.raverly.com is a great community for knitters, although I don't know if they are worldwide or not. But maybe someone there may be able to give you some pointers with regards to supplies etc for the ME.
Sue darling,
how much more helpful can I be?? I even posted these links

http://www.clubairtravel.co.uk/holid...r-climate.aspx
http://www.timeoutdubai.com/shopping...713-toy-stores
http://stitchnbitch.org/Outside-Unit...w-details.html

..what more can I do, considering that I......
a. Hate being cold...which is why I live here
b. don't have children
c. definately do not knit
Old Aug 20th 2011, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

I am hoping it's not shortlived!! I was going to arrange for you to get your hair done ....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
The day I let you do that darling is the day I take up knitting ....K1,S1, PSSO,K2tog LOL
Old Aug 20th 2011, 9:20 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
The day I let you do that darling is the day I take up knitting ....K1,S1, PSSO,K2tog LOL
expect a delivery from Dragon Mart marked wool and needles for Patsy Stoned
Old Aug 20th 2011, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

expect a delivery from Dragon Mart marked wool and needles for Patsy Stoned
LOL!!!!! Do they deliver darling???..MInd you I am still waiting for an Aramex delivery that they promised would be here by 12.30!!!!
( oh..and what colour wool sweetie..it had better be 100% wool or cotton... I don't do synthetic )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.