British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Knitting (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/knitting-728892/)

winter snow Aug 17th 2011 9:03 am

Knitting

:rofl: Hi am moving to Sharjah at the end of the month and in UK I like knitting, now I know its hot out there but does anyone knit for fun/charity and can you buy wool out there?
:cool:

Meow Aug 17th 2011 9:12 am

Re: Knitting

There are certainly a few places that sell wool and other knitting supplies in Dubai, so I imagine you can get it in Sharjah too.

winter snow Aug 17th 2011 9:14 am

Thanks for letting me know, just was thinking might not understand too much tv or even watch tv, do they have english tv, am being quite english here.

Meow Aug 17th 2011 9:19 am

Originally Posted by winter snow (Post 9564147)
Thanks for letting me know, just was thinking might not understand too much tv or even watch tv, do they have english tv, am being quite english here.

Plenty of TV in English, or American English. Several local channels broadcast in English as well as many others that show English/US/Aussie imports. What you'll get depends on the TV package you buy.

You may be surprised how Western the UAE can be, even in Sharjah. :)

Mogs Aug 17th 2011 9:19 am

Originally Posted by winter snow (Post 9564147)

all TV requires satellite connection - mostly American sitcoms/drama although you do get a couple of naff BBC channels (BBC Entertainment, BBC Lifestyle and BBC World News). Sky news is also available. All Sport is generally available although not all from the same service provider.

Local TV is so dire you wouldn't want to watch it even if you could understand Arabic.

Meow Aug 17th 2011 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Mogs (Post 9564157)
Local TV is so dire you wouldn't want to watch it even if you could understand Arabic.

You mean you don't love Egyptian soaps or watching a bearded chap reading the Koran for hours on end? You do surprise me!
;)

kittycat1 Aug 17th 2011 11:45 am

Hi Winter snow,

You can buy wool out, if you go to Fida in satwa they have some and you can also pick some up in Dragon mart. I haven't found anywhere that has amazing quality- It's ok for toys etc but certainly nothing I would put a child in unless they want an itchy neck. I've not found anything like the Debbie Bliss wools out here so I guess it depends if you just want any wool or if you want a better quality wool.

If you do find anywhere please let me know.

Kittycat
xxx

winter snow Aug 17th 2011 12:59 pm

Thanks, yes I use Debbie Bliss a lot, don't like the scratchy stuff, am into cotton knitting at the moment. What is life like out here? Is it easy to make friends? Is it child friendly?

Blue Cat Aug 17th 2011 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by winter snow (Post 9564538)
Thanks, yes I use Debbie Bliss a lot, don't like the scratchy stuff, am into cotton knitting at the moment. What is life like out here? Is it easy to make friends? Is it child friendly?

you sound like that bird on the Apprentice who said do French people like children!!

course it's child friendly it is a Country full of people some of whom are parents ....

winter snow Aug 17th 2011 7:24 pm

Ahh am fired before I begin. No no not like that poor girl, did you watch that out in the middle east? Mind you she will be a millionaire I'm sure she has a snazzy website selling vegan skin products.:confused:

Blue Cat Aug 17th 2011 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by winter snow (Post 9565335)
Ahh am fired before I begin. No no not like that poor girl, did you watch that out in the middle east? Mind you she will be a millionaire I'm sure she has a snazzy website selling vegan skin products.:confused:

not fired but parents are parents, globally we all love our kids, that is why we have schools here :)

Patsy Stoned Aug 18th 2011 6:16 am

Surely this person cannot be serious.....after all it is Thursday :D

winter snow Aug 18th 2011 6:36 am

I don't understand your comment, I really only asked about knitting if people knit here? I know the weather is hot but do expats do any charity knitting for other countries etc? :blink:

winter snow Aug 18th 2011 6:38 am

Ah, I see I didn't really explain myself, when I say child friendly I mean are there lots of things for children to do. Clubs etc and mums who meet up, and perhaps knit at the same time.

Hopefully I make more sense now.

Patsy Stoned Aug 18th 2011 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by winter snow (Post 9566268)
Ah, I see I didn't really explain myself, when I say child friendly I mean are there lots of things for children to do. Clubs etc and mums who meet up, and perhaps knit at the same time.

Hopefully I make more sense now.

I would have thought that, if you were planning to come and live here, there would be more important questions you would want to ask other than are there knitting clubs and what tv channels do they have.
I just saw your other question on the intro thread " Hi, am moving to Sharjah at the end of the month with children. Should I bring toys? Does it get cold at night?"
REALLY????
If you need to ask these questions you obviously haven't done much research!!