Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Job Offer - Kuwait

Job Offer - Kuwait

Old Mar 25th 2022, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Job Offer - Kuwait

Originally Posted by w_scott
-It was the first time in my life to see Chinese cars. I have never seen them in any country before coming to KSA.
Not to be pedantic, but Lotus and Volvo Cars are both owned by Geely. Geely are a Chinese multinational auto company, also responsible for the Polestar brand amongst others.
Old Mar 25th 2022, 2:33 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paracletus
Not to be pedantic, but Lotus and Volvo Cars are both owned by Geely. Geely are a Chinese multinational auto company, also responsible for the Polestar brand amongst others.
Geely do some great cars these days.

A lot of the Chinese brands are relatively new players in the auto market, but that's why they're offering 7 year/200k warranty.

My wife bought an MG in Thailand. I've got no complaints with it. It's a great drive.
Old Mar 25th 2022, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
Geely do some great cars these days.

A lot of the Chinese brands are relatively new players in the auto market, but that's why they're offering 7 year/200k warranty.

My wife bought an MG in Thailand. I've got no complaints with it. It's a great drive.
We've been equipped with some Ford trucks here and they are awful. In and out of the workshops constantly. And by that, I mean..who'd want to put down money for a decent car in KSA? It'll get dented and break down soon enough anyway.

I do think a lot of the Chinese products are suffering from what the Japanese, South Korean and Taiwanese were also one time suffering from..but they generally seem to be improving.
Old Mar 25th 2022, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

w_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond repute

iPhone is also made in china, but there is a big difference between it and Chinese phones. I guess what matters is the quality control. While some famous automobile companies have a sort of collaboration which Chinese counterpart, I would be very reluctant to buy a fully Chinese-made car.
Old Mar 25th 2022, 4:27 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paracletus
We've been equipped with some Ford trucks here and they are awful. In and out of the workshops constantly. And by that, I mean..who'd want to put down money for a decent car in KSA? It'll get dented and break down soon enough anyway.

I do think a lot of the Chinese products are suffering from what the Japanese, South Korean and Taiwanese were also one time suffering from..but they generally seem to be improving.
Can't speak for trucks personally, but I've been driving a fusion since 2016, regular services every 5000 km and I've done about 180k to date. Very reliable. Never had any issues with it, not has anyone else from the fleet of cars, they're all company cars anyway.

Agreed about buying new. I'd only ever buy second hand here. Some cheap Japcrap 20,000 SAR max.
Old Mar 26th 2022, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
Can't speak for trucks personally, but I've been driving a fusion since 2016, regular services every 5000 km and I've done about 180k to date. Very reliable. Never had any issues with it, not has anyone else from the fleet of cars, they're all company cars anyway.

Agreed about buying new. I'd only ever buy second hand here. Some cheap Japcrap 20,000 SAR max.
We have the Ford Explorer, which has an abysmal reliability record according to articles I found online. I guess it really is an SUV. But my employer obviously had a good deal from them when looking to build their fleet. Ugh..