Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Job Offer - Kuwait

Job Offer - Kuwait

Old Mar 21st 2022, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

roddie2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job Offer - Kuwait

I have currently started compensation discussion with a financial institution in Kuwait and the following is the offer they have .

Basic : KWD 2800
Housing: KWD 700
Guaranteed Bonus: KWD 5000
Discretionary Bonus: supposedly 15-20% of monthly total

Relocation, Return Airfare for family , Medical insurance and something similar to ESOP is part of the package
Note: No schooling allowance is part of the offer.

Background: I have about 15 years of experience all in the U.S and currently bring home $180k (take home is about $9600 after tax and deductions) . The little research I have done about Kuwait tells me Cost of Living is somewhere in between Saudi Arabia and Dubai/Doha. I intend to bring my family over ( wife and 2 kids- both under 3)

Would appreciate if anyone can provide perspective/ feedback on the offer.

Thanks in Advance

Old Mar 21st 2022, 9:00 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Offer - Kuwait

Are you a US citizen (or a Permanent Resident)?
Old Mar 21st 2022, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

Traveler20 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by roddie2k
I have currently started compensation discussion with a financial institution in Kuwait and the following is the offer they have .

Basic : KWD 2800
Housing: KWD 700
Guaranteed Bonus: KWD 5000
Discretionary Bonus: supposedly 15-20% of monthly total

Relocation, Return Airfare for family , Medical insurance and something similar to ESOP is part of the package
Note: No schooling allowance is part of the offer.

Background: I have about 15 years of experience all in the U.S and currently bring home $180k (take home is about $9600 after tax and deductions) . The little research I have done about Kuwait tells me Cost of Living is somewhere in between Saudi Arabia and Dubai/Doha. I intend to bring my family over ( wife and 2 kids- both under 3)

Would appreciate if anyone can provide perspective/ feedback on the offer.

Thanks in Advance
Is this an IB, risk, audit or finance role? What is your motive for the move? Do you fancy the role? Imo Kuwaitis are so unwelcoming, rude and racist relatively speaking - you would have to pay me double what you’re currently getting in the US to move to Kuwait.

Overall it doesn’t sound like an attractive offer imo.
Old Mar 21st 2022, 9:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Are you a US citizen (or a Permanent Resident)?
Yes
Old Mar 21st 2022, 10:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Traveler20
Is this an IB, risk, audit or finance role? What is your motive for the move? Do you fancy the role? Imo Kuwaitis are so unwelcoming, rude and racist relatively speaking - you would have to pay me double what you’re currently getting in the US to move to Kuwait.

Overall it doesn’t sound like an attractive offer imo.
It's a role in retail .Apart from better savings potential compared to here , I'm looking at using this as a pedestal to move to other locations ( e.g Dubai) at a later stage. The work is also pretty interesting.

Ive has the opportunity to study with a couple of them in school and let's just say they come in all sorts of sizes.

​​​​​​While nothing is set in stone, I'm trying to see how much more I can potentially ask for..

Thanks
Old Mar 21st 2022, 10:03 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Yes
So are you aware that of the claws that the IRS, and the state revenue department where you are currently tax resident, have sunk in to you?

For example for 2022 you would be liable for US tax on your income in excess of $112,000 to the IRS and per the relevant state rules (which might not recognize the IRS's $112k exemption) to the last state you had established tax residency in before you left to work overseas.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 21st 2022 at 10:06 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2022, 10:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
So are you aware that of the claws that the IRS, and the state revenue department where you are currently tax resident, have sunk in to you?

For example for 2022 you would be liable for US tax on your income in excess of $112,000 to the IRS and per the relevant state rules (which might not recognize the IRS's $112k exemption) to the last state you had established tax residency in before you left to work overseas.
Yes indeed ..better than the 32% bracket I'm in now
Old Mar 21st 2022, 10:23 pm
Just Joined

Traveler20 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's a role in retail .Apart from better savings potential compared to here , I'm looking at using this as a pedestal to move to other locations ( e.g Dubai) at a later stage. The work is also pretty interesting.

Ive has the opportunity to study with a couple of them in school and let's just say they come in all sorts of sizes.

​​​​​​While nothing is set in stone, I'm trying to see how much more I can potentially ask for..

Thanks
Personally speaking I don’t think it’s an attractive offer specially if you have a stable job in the US with $180k. Not sure how much time you’ve spent researching the ME market and shopping around. Consider all the expenses and risks (job security..etc) you’re taking and go from there. Take your time and don’t rush any decisions.

all the best
Old Mar 21st 2022, 11:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Traveler20
Personally speaking I don’t think it’s an attractive offer specially if you have a stable job in the US with $180k. Not sure how much time you’ve spent researching the ME market and shopping around. Consider all the expenses and risks (job security..etc) you’re taking and go from there. Take your time and don’t rush any decisions.

all the best
Thank you for your honest feedback.

I'm in consulting and the hours haven't been too kind and have taken a toll on health and family - so trying to look for some work-life balance without compromising on compensation (why has been the case in my job search stateside) . Will not be rushing into anything.
Old Mar 22nd 2022, 12:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Thank you for your honest feedback.

I'm in consulting and the hours haven't been too kind and have taken a toll on health and family - so trying to look for some work-life balance without compromising on compensation (why has been the case in my job search stateside) . Will not be rushing into anything.
As a comment on this, the work / life balance in this part of the world is not the greatest in my opinion. Not the same for all industries, positions and levels but whilst there are lots of nice things to do and see and home help etc, the work expectations are higher, in my opinion.
Old Mar 22nd 2022, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

The real reason for considering this job is to use it as a jumping stone to Dubai?

Don't underestimate the tax implications Americans still need to pay. And don't you get to deduct quite a bit for your 401k and other deductible accounts? You won't be able to do that with your overseas income, nor do you contribute to social security, nor get any employer matching. I worked with quite a few Americans and learned all the fine details that had most Americans realising they needed to be making mega bucks to justify working in the Middle East.

Kuwait isn't the easiest place to live in the Middle East. It's a dull, dreary, ugly, hot country. But if you really wanted to work in Dubai it's not a bad strategy to get as close as possible, and then jump ship a year later for a Dubai offer. And it is easier to get hired in Dubai once you're in the Middle East.
Old Mar 23rd 2022, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

w_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond repute

I have never been to Kuwait but heard from friends who worked there it is the worst among GCC!

The little research I have done about Kuwait tells me Cost of Living is somewhere in between Saudi Arabia and Dubai/Doha.
I think the above statement is outdated. Living cost in KSA is much higher than it in Qatar (except for housing it is slightly cheaper in KSA).
Old Mar 24th 2022, 4:28 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by w_scott
I have never been to Kuwait but heard from friends who worked there it is the worst among GCC!

I think the above statement is outdated. Living cost in KSA is much higher than it in Qatar (except for housing it is slightly cheaper in KSA).
I would say the opposite. I've looked at jobs in Dohell in the past, and although the money was okay, living costs were loads higher.
Old Mar 24th 2022, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

w_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
I would say the opposite. I've looked at jobs in Dohell in the past, and although the money was okay, living costs were loads higher.
How far in the past? KSA used to be 30% cheaper than Qatar 5 years ago, but now I assure you it is the opposite. Look at the cost of everything: cars, cloths, food, medical care, communications, and the list goes on.
-Cars at least 30% higher in KSA than Qatar both new and old
-All grocery items (except for very few things) are cheaper in Qatar by at least 30%. Meat, fish, vegetables and fruits. Some items like dishwasher tabs, butter, charcoal, toilet paper, chocolate, and imported food are more than 100% higher in KSA.
-Services are rubbish, yet more expensive in KSA than Qatar.
-All home appliances are cheaper in Qatar (at least 30% cheaper). You can look in internet and compare the same products. Some rubbish of brand appliances I have never seen them until I came to KSA.
-It was the first time in my life to see Chinese cars. I have never seen them in any country before coming to KSA.
-Food in restaurant is nowhere near the quality and the price of it in Qatar, whether it is 5 stars hotel or a small takeaway. In Qatar you can have dinner at Intercontinental with at least 4 open buffet of various international food for 200 QAR only. If you have entertainer you can pay the same for 2 persons. You would pay double of this amount at any hotel in KSA and the food is rubbish.
-Communication and internet is rubbish, yet much more expensive than Qatar, and they keep annoying you with loads of spam.
-Going to any clinic or medical center in KSA I feel like entering a supermarket rather than a clinic. They ask about payment upfront, less professional and all about cosmetics. I took my child the other day to a dermatologist. The clinic was full of ladies coming for Botox and filler. I was wondering when I first came to the country to see the majority of clinics are dentistry and dermatology. I was wondering why, then I knew it is about cosmetics and not medicine! I struggle to find any good doctor in any specialty, whereas in Qatar you are spoiled by choices.
These are just some of the things I can remember but I am sure there are many others....
and housing is not expensive in Qatar. You can rent a 4 bedroom villa in a semi-decent compound, semi furnished for 10k QAR only.

Last edited by w_scott; Mar 24th 2022 at 5:26 pm. Reason: adding a sentence about housing
Old Mar 25th 2022, 12:06 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by w_scott
How far in the past? KSA used to be 30% cheaper than Qatar 5 years ago, but now I assure you it is the opposite. Look at the cost of everything: cars, cloths, food, medical care, communications, and the list goes on.
-Cars at least 30% higher in KSA than Qatar both new and old
-All grocery items (except for very few things) are cheaper in Qatar by at least 30%. Meat, fish, vegetables and fruits. Some items like dishwasher tabs, butter, charcoal, toilet paper, chocolate, and imported food are more than 100% higher in KSA.
-Services are rubbish, yet more expensive in KSA than Qatar.
-All home appliances are cheaper in Qatar (at least 30% cheaper). You can look in internet and compare the same products. Some rubbish of brand appliances I have never seen them until I came to KSA.
-It was the first time in my life to see Chinese cars. I have never seen them in any country before coming to KSA.
-Food in restaurant is nowhere near the quality and the price of it in Qatar, whether it is 5 stars hotel or a small takeaway. In Qatar you can have dinner at Intercontinental with at least 4 open buffet of various international food for 200 QAR only. If you have entertainer you can pay the same for 2 persons. You would pay double of this amount at any hotel in KSA and the food is rubbish.
-Communication and internet is rubbish, yet much more expensive than Qatar, and they keep annoying you with loads of spam.
-Going to any clinic or medical center in KSA I feel like entering a supermarket rather than a clinic. They ask about payment upfront, less professional and all about cosmetics. I took my child the other day to a dermatologist. The clinic was full of ladies coming for Botox and filler. I was wondering when I first came to the country to see the majority of clinics are dentistry and dermatology. I was wondering why, then I knew it is about cosmetics and not medicine! I struggle to find any good doctor in any specialty, whereas in Qatar you are spoiled by choices.
These are just some of the things I can remember but I am sure there are many others....
and housing is not expensive in Qatar. You can rent a 4 bedroom villa in a semi-decent compound, semi furnished for 10k QAR only.
Where were you food shopping in KSA, find some of those comments unbelievable.

You may be right about appliances, I wouldn't know. I haven't bought an appliance in years. Maybe the 15% vat makes a difference.

Your comment about Chinese cars is ridiculous. You do know that Ford makes the new Taurus in partnership with Changan right? Maybe I'm wrong but I would have thought Qatar gets the same model. MG are everywhere in the UK now, and also over SE Asia. If you haven't seen Chinese cars where you've been living that's surprising.

I don't go to any 5 star hotels for food because there's no need to. There are great restaurants in KSA, whether that's Turkish, Indian, Lebanese, Italian or whatever. 50-100 SAR will get you a good sit-down meal. Less than 50 SAR for something to takeaway. Even in the provincial city of 800k where I live there are loads of options.

Re internet, I pay 175 per month unlimited. That's fine for me. I don't get any spam.

Your comments about healthcare are interesting. I've got a suggestion for you. Rather then going to a clinic that deals mainly with cosmetic treatment, why don't you go to a hospital! I've used Sulieman Habib for many years without any problems. They're probably not cheap but that's why I have insurance. The hospital I use has an app. You can choose the doctor you want when you book your appointment. And it clearly shows the nationality, qualifications, and country where the qualifications were obtained for each doctor. Many of these doctors are trained in Europe etc. What more do you want??

Your final point re accommodation is about compound accommodation only. I think you'll find that outside of that narrow world KSA is much better VFM.

I've lived off compound, on compound, and on military bases and they all have their pros and cons. I think these days in KSA if you're living in one of the big 3, there's absolutely no need to be on a compound really.

Anyways, you obviously like Qatar, so enjoy your time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.