Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Filipino maid visa for UK visit

Filipino maid visa for UK visit

Old May 1st 2013, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Filipino maid visa for UK visit

Originally Posted by Scamp
However you want to justify it, you will.
Scamp, have to say that that how it works in our household. In fact, when we go to Italy and go just as a family, our maid is really disappointed that we go by ourselves as she she's desperate to see the Vatican etc and get another stamp on her passport.

On UK trips, the amount of London branded tat that she wants to buy is ridiculous but she loves bringing back the genuine article for her friends. She also has photos of herself in front of all the sites up in her room and on facebook as, to her, travelling to Europe is a real opportunity.

Not all people who are employed in domestic work are under duress. There are plenty who have a great job, love their charges and save enough money to change the direction of lives of their relatives back home. Getting to travel can be the icing on the cake.

Obviously there are also those who have a terrible time with shit employers, as well as those who just hate the job.
Old May 1st 2013, 11:00 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abbey08
Option 2 is leave her in a compound in Doha in the middle of fifty degree summer heat on her own.

Option 1 is three weeks in a five star hotel in London, top restaurants, no cooking, cleaning, ironing, washing, a bit of spending money thrown her way, tourist attractions, and some babysitting..............

Now even you Scamp as argumentative and provocative as you try to be should really in this instance shut the f**k up.
Option 3 fly her home for a holiday?
Old May 1st 2013, 11:08 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
Option 3 fly her home for a holiday?
He said on page 1 that she did that at Christmas.

Makes sense to me that some maids would love to visit Europe and see something more of the world. Not really any different to people in the UK taking on foreign au pairs who generally get paid next to nothing.
Old May 1st 2013, 11:13 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
He said on page 1 that she did that at Christmas.

Makes sense to me that some maids would love to visit Europe and see something more of the world. Not really any different to people in the UK taking on foreign au pairs who generally get paid next to nothing.
They also said there was only 2 options, there is a third. I think its a great Idea taking her to the UK, I would in their situation and I am sure the maid would love it. Problem is the 1 year employment - There is no way around that.

Most of this thread is just people being facetious.
Old May 1st 2013, 11:24 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

BE posters playing devil's advocate? Surely not!

Old May 1st 2013, 12:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Option 2 is leave her in a compound in Doha in the middle of fifty degree summer heat on her own.
That's what I do... well, not until we have emptied the fridge of all the decent food she likes.
Old May 1st 2013, 12:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by al dente
Scamp, have to say that that how it works in our household. In fact, when we go to Italy and go just as a family, our maid is really disappointed that we go by ourselves as she she's desperate to see the Vatican etc and get another stamp on her passport.

On UK trips, the amount of London branded tat that she wants to buy is ridiculous but she loves bringing back the genuine article for her friends. She also has photos of herself in front of all the sites up in her room and on facebook as, to her, travelling to Europe is a real opportunity.

Not all people who are employed in domestic work are under duress. There are plenty who have a great job, love their charges and save enough money to change the direction of lives of their relatives back home. Getting to travel can be the icing on the cake.

Obviously there are also those who have a terrible time with shit employers, as well as those who just hate the job.
You're free to do whatever you want AD, I'm not saying that all maids are treated like crap, I just think that it's a shame people feel the need to take their maid to the UK to help them with their own kids.

Option 1 is three weeks in a five star hotel in London, top restaurants, no cooking, cleaning, ironing, washing, a bit of spending money thrown her way, tourist attractions, and some babysitting..............

Now even you Scamp as argumentative and provocative as you try to be should really in this instance shut the f**k up.
So option 2 is to leave her doing what she does anyway?

Your arrogance is beyond me. I'm sure this is just an exercise to be able to walk around wherever your home town is and act like the big swinging dick because you've got a maid in tow.

Anyway, good luck getting the visa. At least you'll be able to tell your pals back home that the trip is a nightmare because you've got to spend some time with your own kids. How the **** are you going to cope?
Old May 1st 2013, 1:24 pm
Bored liberal

Scamp, why are you being such a twat about this? It doesn't make you look big or clever and I really thought you'd be a little more tolerant and understanding.
Old May 1st 2013, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure that Scamp's parents provided the most idyllic and stress free childhood, that would be my gut feeling. He's trying to encourage an improvement in parenting, which isn't the worst sin in the world.

That said Scamp, I'd like to speak to you in 15 years time when you've had a bit of travelling with sprogs experience. Not that I actually wish that on anyone!
Old May 1st 2013, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

desert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nice

Option 2: Don't you have air conditioning?
Option 3: Is the 5 star hotel just for the maid or all of you?

I have never seen the need to have a maid in all the years I have lived in the Gulf. Maybe because we are able to do our own washing, cleaning and looking after the kids? Having a maid is a bit of a thing for the newbies who quite often rent beyond their means, buy a Hummer and a Prado and often go home leaving their debta here!
Old May 1st 2013, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by desert-rat
Option 2: Don't you have air conditioning?
Option 3: Is the 5 star hotel just for the maid or all of you?

I have never seen the need to have a maid in all the years I have lived in the Gulf. Maybe because we are able to do our own washing, cleaning and looking after the kids? Having a maid is a bit of a thing for the newbies who quite often rent beyond their means, buy a Hummer and a Prado and often go home leaving their debta here!
Rubbish. I don't meet a single one of your criteria, but don't let that chip on the shoulder get in the way of a good story.
Old May 1st 2013, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

desert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nice

Originally Posted by al dente
Rubbish. I don't meet a single one of your criteria, but don't let that chip on the shoulder get in the way of a good story.
You are not able to do your own washing, cleaning or look after your own kids? I think that was my criteria. You seem very defensive. If you want to employ a maid and pay them QAR/AED 1,500 a month then so be it. Of course if you had servants in Sydney then fair enough. It still amuses me how so many people come here and believe they have to live an image instead just being themselves.
Old May 1st 2013, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by desert-rat
You are not able to do your own washing, cleaning or look after your own kids? I think that was my criteria. You seem very defensive. If you want to employ a maid and pay them QAR/AED 1,500 a month then so be it. Of course if you had servants in Sydney then fair enough. It still amuses me how so many people come here and believe they have to live an image instead just being themselves.
No, i was focussing on your criteria of people who employ maids; I'm not a newbie loaned up etc, living a false life etc. Not at all defensive about my life, was momentarily grumpy.

Last edited by al dente; May 1st 2013 at 5:16 pm. Reason: Yep, have always outsourced what i could afford to, to free up my time to do things I enjoy.
Old May 1st 2013, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

I loved having a maid,
If I could have afforded one in oz then I would have had one there as well
Far better things to do in life than washing & ironing
No point leaving them in the villa, ours used to rifle the scotch and water it down to make up. She used to scrub and iron well though so we forgave her
Old May 1st 2013, 6:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Meow
Scamp, why are you being such a twat about this? It doesn't make you look big or clever and I really thought you'd be a little more tolerant and understanding.
Tolerant and understanding? Of what? Someone else's opinion?

You're definitely better than calling someone a twat and trying to belittle them because their opinion is different to yours or someone else's.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.