Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Ethiad Airlines & AD

Ethiad Airlines & AD

Old Dec 3rd 2007, 3:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ethiad Airlines & AD

Originally Posted by maranelloman
Many thanks for the comments on the airlines people. Ethiad will be getting my hard earned euros.

Etihad are worth using on a regular basis - and join the frequent flyer thing ("Etihad Guest"). I can't quote 'chapter and verse' but you don't have to fly very far or very often with them (compared to other airlines) to become a silver member, or whatever it's called.

Last edited by The Dean; Dec 3rd 2007 at 4:22 pm. Reason: typo
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 4:18 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

AUH really isn't bad. The lounge accessed with the Amex is far nicer than that in Dubai (though Dubai's BA lounge is better than both - when it's open). It's nowhere near as far to walk from road to gate as DXB, but neither is it as drab and unfriendly as SHJ.

Only at DXB does egate seem to work reliably, though.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 4:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by typical
AUH really isn't bad. The lounge accessed with the Amex is far nicer than that in Dubai (though Dubai's BA lounge is better than both - when it's open). It's nowhere near as far to walk from road to gate as DXB, but neither is it as drab and unfriendly as SHJ.

Only at DXB does egate seem to work reliably, though.
STOP PRESS - E-gates are being installed at Riyadh airport.

Now that is a major concession........ it's not so many years ago that I was subjected to a very unpleasant interrogation at the airport for bringing in some gifts wrapped in paper with Father Christmas on it......
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 4:30 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
STOP PRESS - E-gates are being installed at Riyadh airport.

Now that is a major concession........ it's not so many years ago that I was subjected to a very unpleasant interrogation at the airport for bringing in some gifts wrapped in paper with Father Christmas on it......
Don't hold your breath. The wood panels have been there for months.

And even if they help skip the nasty lines for immigration, they won't help you get through customs with Father Christmas wrapping paper.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 4:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Don't hold your breath. The wood panels have been there for months.

And even if they help skip the nasty lines for immigration, they won't help you get through customs with Father Christmas wrapping paper.
Well the point is they no longer search the cases unless the scanners detect something that doesn't look quite right - and there are rarely 'lines' at immigration.

Saudi is definitely relaxing the Islamic attitudes (I feel more comfortable there than in any of my three previous tours of duty dating back to 1992).

And do any other Saudi-based Bored members know what has happened to the mutawas? They're becoming known for their invisibility.......
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 4:36 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

is this were I tell people about my love for Egate....I love it
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 4:41 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

Originally Posted by The Dean
And do any other Saudi-based Bored members know what has happened to the mutawas? They're becoming known for their invisibility.......
They're around. A colleague of mine was accosted by one just yesterday. Still, I'm a newbie here, so I don't know what it was like before...

The customs authority seem pretty progressive, I have to say.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 4:43 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

Originally Posted by MataHari
is this were I tell people about my love for Egate....I love it
Yes... I wish the UK's Iris system were as easy to register for.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 4:48 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Yes... I wish the UK's Iris system were as easy to register for.
oh yeah....this is just a 2 minute job thingy and Bob's your uncle....love it when I see the massive queus and we just sail through with 3 kids in tow...
pitty then you still have to wait for your luggage...
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
Are you looking for eating or shopping? Zari Zardosi at the Meridien does nice new-age Indian/Japanese fusion, or if you're longing for something more authentic the Ibrahimi restaurant does great N. Indian/Pak food, but is low on luxury...

I'm the wrong man to ask about shopping, I'm afraid.... I go, I buy, I leave... if I have to.Glad to know that your wife is on the road to wellness, good luck to both of you in KSA!
Good choice SYB, ZZ is excellent, especially now the weather is good. Have you tried Indigo at the Beach Hotel yet?

Where is the Ibrahimi restaurant ?
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Not looking to shop to be honest. Plenty of time for that in Saudi. Just looking to pass a few hours by getting some food. Well I get plenty of pak food, so probably give that a miss. Does Gordon Ramsey have a restaurant in AD? Or else ZZ sounds good.

Any other restaurants that should not be missed?
Vascos at the hilton always good or Amalfi at Royal Meridien.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

I fly Etihad about once a month currently (lots of airmiles ). I then to fly business and find it very good, the one time I flew coach was great flying out to AD but a nightmare coming back.

I think row 32 in coach is good for leg room, right by the exit doors if I remember right.

I have also flown BMI to Riyadh on a few occasions. Again business was pretty good, but at the time the aircraft was looking very tired. They have recently received a newly fitted out airbus which apparently is the dogs nuts.

If I am going to Riyadh I would use BMI (or Swissair or Lufthansa - avoid Air France), but if I am going to Bahrain/Dhahran then I prefer Etihad. I suppose if you are flying to Jeddah the BMI makes more sense, give it a go as it is not too bad.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

maranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to all

Cool. Thanks ppl.

Dean talking about changing Saudi. I was sent a CV for someone we are interviewing to join my team. Guess what. Its a woman! What the hell has been going on there since I was last there? Next thing you know they are gonna let them drive!
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

maranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to all

Originally Posted by benzonar
I fly Etihad about once a month currently (lots of airmiles ). I then to fly business and find it very good, the one time I flew coach was great flying out to AD but a nightmare coming back.

I think row 32 in coach is good for leg room, right by the exit doors if I remember right.

I have also flown BMI to Riyadh on a few occasions. Again business was pretty good, but at the time the aircraft was looking very tired. They have recently received a newly fitted out airbus which apparently is the dogs nuts.

If I am going to Riyadh I would use BMI (or Swissair or Lufthansa - avoid Air France), but if I am going to Bahrain/Dhahran then I prefer Etihad. I suppose if you are flying to Jeddah the BMI makes more sense, give it a go as it is not too bad.
I've been flying BA every week for a year now but on a Brussels Airlines ticket. I've got a ton of miles that are useless. The only good thing is I get lounge access. I've not been able to use it on a flight.

How is BMI club compared to other airlines? Does it give that budget impression like the rest of the plane? We get two club tickets per year to use on any airline, so when I travel with the family Im going to use the club tickets on a direct flight. So that will be either BMI or Saudia and at the moment its looking like saudia.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 6:01 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

How is BMI club compared to other airlines? Does it give that budget impression like the rest of the plane? We get two club tickets per year to use on any airline, so when I travel with the family Im going to use the club tickets on a direct flight. So that will be either BMI or Saudia and at the moment its looking like saudia.
No idea about club class, but the frequent flier program is awesome.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.