Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Ethiad Airlines & AD

Ethiad Airlines & AD

Old Dec 3rd 2007, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

maranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to all
Default Ethiad Airlines & AD

Im gutted. British Airways dont fly to Saudi at the moment and I dont fancy flying on BMI. Decided to fly to Jeddah via Abu Dhabi on Ethiad Airways. Any good? I've flow Emirates and liked that, but never on Ethiad.

Also I land in AD @ 20:20 and leave at 01:50. Is there anything for me to do outside the airport or should I just max my credit cards in the airport. Im assuming its as good as Dubai Duty Free?
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ethiad Airlines & AD

Originally Posted by maranelloman
Im gutted. British Airways dont fly to Saudi at the moment and I dont fancy flying on BMI. Decided to fly to Jeddah via Abu Dhabi on Ethiad Airways. Any good? I've flow Emirates and liked that, but never on Ethiad.

Also I land in AD @ 20:20 and leave at 01:50. Is there anything for me to do outside the airport or should I just max my credit cards in the airport. Im assuming its as good as Dubai Duty Free?
Ethiad have been getting some good reviews, some better than EK, they are up and coming and always looking to improve service so I don't think that you will any problem.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

incidentally, what's wrong with BMI? They've taken over all the old BMED routes from LHR to various ME and Caspian destinations...
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

maranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jvr20
incidentally, what's wrong with BMI? They've taken over all the old BMED routes from LHR to various ME and Caspian destinations...
Thanks PTP!

Not a fan of BMI. I've flown with them a few times from Brussels to London and hated it. Everything about the airline shouted out budget. From the seat covers to the air staff. A bit rough round the edges if you know what I mean. I would prefer to pay the extra or travel indirect to avoid it!

Think Ryan air, but Long Haul. You can stand it for an hour but after that you wanna get off the plane!
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks PTP!

Not a fan of BMI. I've flown with them a few times from Brussels to London and hated it. Everything about the airline shouted out budget. From the seat covers to the air staff. A bit rough round the edges if you know what I mean. I would prefer to pay the extra or travel indirect to avoid it!

Think Ryan air, but Long Haul. You can stand it for an hour but after that you wanna get off the plane!
oh ok - never gone long haul with them, LHR-Aberdeen a few times. on that sector comparable with BA. They must have ambitions/pretentions though - flying to ME, Mumbai, Moscow, USA now.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 1:11 pm
Family Guy

Barrie is just really niceBarrie is just really niceBarrie is just really niceBarrie is just really niceBarrie is just really niceBarrie is just really niceBarrie is just really niceBarrie is just really niceBarrie is just really niceBarrie is just really niceBarrie is just really nice

Thanks PTP!

I have to agree with you on the budget image thing.

The office where I work in Aberdeen, is opposite the BMI offices and the word BUDGET certainly springs to mind!!!!!
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 1:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi M-man;

I've always had a good flight with Al-Etihad, reckon they are pretty good. AD airport is nice because it is small and very quick to get through, but there can't be more than 10 or so DF shops in the whole place. The food is not up to much either, I'm sorry to report.

AD is about 30 mins from the airport in a taxi, even with the fast immigration it's still going to take you 30 odd mins to clear the airport - so you might get an hour or two in AD at most for your troubles.

Take a good book!

Have a great flight - hope the good lady wife is getting better,

SYB
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
Hi M-man;

I've always had a good flight with Al-Etihad, reckon they are pretty good. AD airport is nice because it is small and very quick to get through, but there can't be more than 10 or so DF shops in the whole place. The food is not up to much either, I'm sorry to report.

AD is about 30 mins from the airport in a taxi, even with the fast immigration it's still going to take you 30 odd mins to clear the airport - so you might get an hour or two in AD at most for your troubles.

Take a good book!

Have a great flight - hope the good lady wife is getting better,

SYB
Bootie man

Alhumdulillah she is doing much better. Still having treatment but much better than before. We are both looking forward to moving out to ksa to slow our life down a little! Its been way too hectic in the past 12 months and we need to just slow life down a little.

OK so assuming im out of the airport for 9pm what is there worth doing in AD on a Friday night? I need to be back to the airport for just after midnight I guess to catch my connection at 1:50 am.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 2:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Bootie man

Alhumdulillah she is doing much better. Still having treatment but much better than before. We are both looking forward to moving out to ksa to slow our life down a little! Its been way too hectic in the past 12 months and we need to just slow life down a little.

OK so assuming im out of the airport for 9pm what is there worth doing in AD on a Friday night? I need to be back to the airport for just after midnight I guess to catch my connection at 1:50 am.
Are you looking for eating or shopping? Zari Zardosi at the Meridien does nice new-age Indian/Japanese fusion, or if you're longing for something more authentic the Ibrahimi restaurant does great N. Indian/Pak food, but is low on luxury...

I'm the wrong man to ask about shopping, I'm afraid.... I go, I buy, I leave... if I have to.

Glad to know that your wife is on the road to wellness, good luck to both of you in KSA!
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
Are you looking for eating or shopping? Zari Zardosi at the Meridien does nice new-age Indian/Japanese fusion, or if you're longing for something more authentic the Ibrahimi restaurant does great N. Indian/Pak food, but is low on luxury...

I'm the wrong man to ask about shopping, I'm afraid.... I go, I buy, I leave... if I have to.

Glad to know that your wife is on the road to wellness, good luck to both of you in KSA!
Not looking to shop to be honest. Plenty of time for that in Saudi. Just looking to pass a few hours by getting some food. Well I get plenty of pak food, so probably give that a miss. Does Gordon Ramsey have a restaurant in AD? Or else ZZ sounds good.

Any other restaurants that should not be missed?
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 2:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Not looking to shop to be honest. Plenty of time for that in Saudi. Just looking to pass a few hours by getting some food. Well I get plenty of pak food, so probably give that a miss. Does Gordon Ramsey have a restaurant in AD? Or else ZZ sounds good.

Any other restaurants that should not be missed?
We're not as upmarket as Dubai, mate... Maybe some other posters can help me out if I miss anything, but Le Vendome (French) or As-Sayad (Fish) would be the two best places in town - both at the Emirates Palace Hotel (Natch). If you do go to the Em Palace Hotel, be sure to check out the Nobel Museum and the Sadiyat Island architectural display (both just off the grand foyer)...

Vascos is popular (at the Hiltonia), Bice at the Hilton... and the Italian place at the Beach Rotana (sorry, name escapes me).

It may be an idea to book your table in advance!

Cheers

SYB
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

fizzy is just really nicefizzy is just really nicefizzy is just really nicefizzy is just really nicefizzy is just really nicefizzy is just really nicefizzy is just really nicefizzy is just really nice

Ive flown with them many times to and from the UK and they are great - beat BA everytime .....AD airport boring but less busy than Dubai ..
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 3:14 pm
Banned

Dago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to behold

Etihad are brilliant!! Business class seats look a bit strange but excellent. Natural to compare them to Emirates and they are better!

AD airport is ok but that's about it.

Is Indian / Japanese fusion a new type of reactor?

..some of you may not get that in which case google tokamak or J.E.T....
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

Many thanks for the comments on the airlines people. Ethiad will be getting my hard earned euros.

Old Dec 3rd 2007, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

Concern1 will become famous soon enoughConcern1 will become famous soon enough

Maranelloman. I think the airline is good based on the reviews it gets on its service. But AD airport is really quite a dump by the sounds of it.
Check this review site about what people are saying about Etihad and AD airport.

http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/etihad.htm

http://www.airlinequality.com/Airpor..._forum/auh.htm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.