Dubai - the truth

Old Oct 8th 2007, 4:53 pm
Account Closed

scarletfan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dubai - the truth

Hi Guys.

After recently joining this community, and reading some of the answers to questions posed, we could do with some assistance please.

Having never worked or travelled to the Middle East, I have some potential opportunities within the Construction sector, one in Dubai, one in Abu Dhabi.

I would appreciate some information please on the better of the 2 places to live and work. For example the quality of accommodation, indicative prices, social life, shopping etc. I have been told that travel wise there is about 1 hour between these 2 locations, so is it wise to work, say, in Abu Dhabi and live in Dubai, or is traffic a nightmare!

Any views gratefully received, and thanks for taking the time to respond.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 5:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai - the truth

Originally Posted by scarletfan
Hi Guys.

After recently joining this community, and reading some of the answers to questions posed, we could do with some assistance please.

Having never worked or travelled to the Middle East, I have some potential opportunities within the Construction sector, one in Dubai, one in Abu Dhabi.

I would appreciate some information please on the better of the 2 places to live and work. For example the quality of accommodation, indicative prices, social life, shopping etc. I have been told that travel wise there is about 1 hour between these 2 locations, so is it wise to work, say, in Abu Dhabi and live in Dubai, or is traffic a nightmare!

Any views gratefully received, and thanks for taking the time to respond.
As you are a Llanelli fan (I assume) I thought about writing in CAPITAL LETTERS and drawing some pictures, but here goes anyway......

Dubai great fun, but very little real substance or culture.

Abu Dhabi less fun, but very little real substance or culture.

Ab Dab work - Dubai live? Yes - loads of people do but be aware of longer working hours than you might expect so that hour-and-a-bit (depending on where you live in Dubai) drive home every evening might wear you down.....

...... a bit like what Fiji did to Wales...........
Old Oct 8th 2007, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

hi

Make sure your salary is big enough to afford to be here, Dubai and Abu Dhabi are becoming very expensive. 2 Bed appt in AD can be up to 70-80 thousand dirhams.

Its all plastic with little culture, I have lived here since 98 and it has changed alot and way over exposed now,

As a resident you will be paying tourist prices.

Dubai traffic is a nightmare and if you like nite life you can spend up to 300 aed just on cabs
Old Oct 8th 2007, 6:20 pm
Account Closed

Absolutely correct. Llanelli Scarlets fan through and through. Don't get personal about the way Fiji knocked us out of the world cup though. Thought you would have realised that up until yesterday, Fiji were the best supported team in the quarter finals, what with 3million "welsh fijians" also behind them.

Would you recommend living and working in Abu Dhabi rather than living in Dubai and working in Abu Dhabi?

What is the nightlife / social scene like in AD?
Old Oct 8th 2007, 6:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely correct. Llanelli Scarlets fan through and through. Don't get personal about the way Fiji knocked us out of the world cup though. Thought you would have realised that up until yesterday, Fiji were the best supported team in the quarter finals, what with 3million "welsh fijians" also behind them.

Would you recommend living and working in Abu Dhabi rather than living in Dubai and working in Abu Dhabi?

What is the nightlife / social scene like in AD?
Ab Dab much more conservative than Dubai..... quieter bars, less live music, etc.

People who live in Ab Dab often come to Dubai for their social life.

Come over for the Dubai Sevens (great rugby, great party) and have a look round........ Nov 29 - Dec 1
Old Oct 8th 2007, 6:31 pm
Account Closed

Unfortunately, currently working in the Caribbean, so unable to get out prior to Xmas, otherwise Dubai sevens would be great.

The information I have about travelling between AD and Dubai of approx 1 hour, is that correct or does it take longer during rush hour?
Old Oct 8th 2007, 6:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Unfortunately, currently working in the Caribbean, so unable to get out prior to Xmas, otherwise Dubai sevens would be great.

The information I have about travelling between AD and Dubai of approx 1 hour, is that correct or does it take longer during rush hour?
One hour is about right from city to city but Dubai goes on for a while, so if you live further in to town (in Dubai) it will take longer. And Dubai traffic is bad generally - I once drove from Ab Dab airport to the outskirts of Dubai in about 50 minutes - then spent another hour or so crawling a few miles to my home........
Old Oct 8th 2007, 6:44 pm
Account Closed

Thanks for the info about traffic etc.

One question My other half would want to know about is shopping, medical care etc in both locations.

I imagine Dubai is the place to get everything, with the essentials readily available in AD, however, what is the standard of medical / dental care like in AD? Is it the same in both locations, or again is Dubai the centre of the universe?
Old Oct 9th 2007, 3:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annacarna

Dubai traffic is a nightmare and if you like nite life you can spend up to 300 aed just on cabs
Blimey! where are you travelling to?
I get taxis everywhere and I have never spent more than 50dhs
From Al Barsha to Nad al Sheba is only 45dhs so I can get across town for less.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 5:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
Blimey! where are you travelling to?
I get taxis everywhere and I have never spent more than 50dhs
From Al Barsha to Nad al Sheba is only 45dhs so I can get across town for less.
Hi

I was staying in Al Barsha, first stop was the novotel and then we did a bit of bar hopping and yes we spent 350 dibs on cabs,

Abu Dhabi - the same amount of cabs in Abu Dhabi will cost you about 100, thats including the after midnite costs

Old Oct 9th 2007, 5:39 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I was staying in Al Barsha, first stop was the novotel and then we did a bit of bar hopping and yes we spent 350 dibs on cabs,

Abu Dhabi - the same amount of cabs in Abu Dhabi will cost you about 100, thats including the after midnite costs

You were robbed. Or too drunk to realise what you were paying them!

I live in Deira & even going right over to the Marina has never cost more than Dhs 70.

Cheery soul aren't you?
Old Oct 9th 2007, 5:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I was staying in Al Barsha, first stop was the novotel and then we did a bit of bar hopping and yes we spent 350 dibs on cabs
that just cannot be right...

MM, xx
Old Oct 9th 2007, 5:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Meow
You were robbed. Or too drunk to realise what you were paying them!

I live in Deira & even going right over to the Marina has never cost more than Dhs 70.

Cheery soul aren't you?
Your name suits you

No not drunk but we did move around a lot, to and from barsh was 160 with tips
Old Oct 9th 2007, 6:11 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

from Mirdiff to Mall of the Emirates it's only 65 dhs...and that's quite a distance...
Old Oct 9th 2007, 6:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

You were defo robbed darling! I always taxi and from Al Barsha to Madinat is 10dhs, Madinat to sho chos 15/20dhs Al Barsha to Verre 60dhs so I could go back and forth across the bridge about 6 times for what you were charged!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.