Dubai - the truth

Old Oct 11th 2007, 9:20 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai - the truth

Definitely would choose Singapore over the other two but would take Hong Kong over any of them!
Singapore's e;ections may be a farce but at least they have them (not there there is all that much wrong with Sheikh Mo and his cronies).
A big factor is also job security- Singapore offers it to you, Abu Dhabi it is ingrained because less people want to go there and Dubai has bugger all. If you're going to uproot yourself you want to make sure you're doing it for the mid-to-long haul.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 9:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paidtoplease
WHAT and litter our bags with smelling, horrible fag ends ....
Sounds like the inside of my car. It really is a disgusting habit, wish I didn't do it. But how can you drink espresso without a cigarette?
Old Oct 11th 2007, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Paidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
Sounds like the inside of my car. It really is a disgusting habit, wish I didn't do it. But how can you drink espresso without a cigarette?

Just can't be done, actually I think it is illegal !!!
Old Oct 11th 2007, 10:34 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Desert Dweller;5412144]Definitely would choose Singapore over the other two but would take Hong Kong over any of them!
(QUOTE]Sorry, but in my eyes, Hong Kong looks like a massive Jumeirah Beach Residence built on a hillside...not my cup of tea.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 11:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Sorry, but in my eyes, Hong Kong looks like a massive Jumeirah Beach Residence built on a hillside...not my cup of tea.
oh i love hong kong...would really like to live there for a few years...but accommodation is even more expensive there than here...

MM, xx
Old Oct 11th 2007, 2:18 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
Yep, that's so true. And it matters if you are Singapore-Chinese, Singapore-Malaysian, Singapore- Indonesian. And note all the workers being trucked in every day from the Cantons in Jahor Bahru - there is a desperately poor underclass working in Singapore, it's just that they get trucked out again every evening.

Chewing gum Ban, maybe. But hey, they legalized Table Dancing!!

I know that a 'pecking order' is there, it exists in probably every country in the world. I was just trying to tell the OP that in Singapore it isn't nearly as blatant, as institutionalised or as in-you-face as in the UAE.

People who live in the UAE can't criticise anyone's elections....
Old Oct 11th 2007, 3:03 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I know that a 'pecking order' is there, it exists in probably every country in the world. I was just trying to tell the OP that in Singapore it isn't nearly as blatant, as institutionalised or as in-you-face as in the UAE.
I know what you were saying, and I was disagreeing with you. Racism may not be as in-your-face, but based on my experience of living in Singapore and having several friends in the Government and public services there, it's almost as blatant and if anything, even more institutionalised.

People who live in the UAE can't criticise anyone's elections....
The Singaporean elections were one reason I decided I didn't want to stay in Singapore, and hence ended up in Dubai, so...
Old Oct 11th 2007, 3:54 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by typical
I know what you were saying, and I was disagreeing with you. Racism may not be as in-your-face, but based on my experience of living in Singapore and having several friends in the Government and public services there, it's almost as blatant and if anything, even more institutionalised.

The Singaporean elections were one reason I decided I didn't want to stay in Singapore, and hence ended up in Dubai, so...

Sorry mate, but that is agreeing with me!!

I'm intrigued by that statement... please could you expand? If you are so sensitive to democratic injustices, why move to Dubai?
Old Oct 11th 2007, 3:58 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=typical;5413235 The Singaporean elections were one reason I decided I didn't want to stay in Singapore, and hence ended up in Dubai, so...[/QUOTE]You must be joking...democracy in the Middle East simply doesn't happen
Old Oct 11th 2007, 4:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

You must be joking...democracy in the Middle East simply doesn't happen
at least they dont even pretend to be democratic here!
Old Oct 11th 2007, 4:09 pm
Account Closed

scarletfan is an unknown quantity at this point

What is so bad about the singaporean elections?
After going through a general election in Jamaica, whereby violence is an ordinary part of the process, surely any other election is tame by comparison?
Old Oct 11th 2007, 4:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scarletfan
What is so bad about the singaporean elections?
After going through a general election in Jamaica, whereby violence is an ordinary part of the process, surely any other election is tame by comparison?
Singapore is effectively a one party state! The People's Action Party has such a tight grip on the instruments of power that no other party has any chance of success.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 8:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

You must be joking...democracy in the Middle East simply doesn't happen
Lebanon must be in Northern Europe then...
Old Oct 11th 2007, 9:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Confucius
Lebanon must be in Northern Europe then...
well lets be honest it doesnt have the greatest democratic history! and i would say its more the levant/near east than the middle east!
Old Oct 11th 2007, 9:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
well lets be honest it doesnt have the greatest democratic history! and i would say its more the levant/near east than the middle east!
We've never experienced oppression...Well, by a local force/dictator anyway... But we still had to endure 14 years of Syrian tutelage, and it's puppet regime which we're trying to get rid of,hopefully in the coming weeks...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.