Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai Country Club - possible closure

Dubai Country Club - possible closure

Old Jul 30th 2007, 6:44 am
Greying Member

Rog_Rams is a glorious beacon of lightRog_Rams is a glorious beacon of lightRog_Rams is a glorious beacon of lightRog_Rams is a glorious beacon of lightRog_Rams is a glorious beacon of lightRog_Rams is a glorious beacon of lightRog_Rams is a glorious beacon of lightRog_Rams is a glorious beacon of lightRog_Rams is a glorious beacon of lightRog_Rams is a glorious beacon of lightRog_Rams is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Dubai Country Club - possible closure

[QUOTE=jvr20;5123341]you mean accept that we're here at the sufference of the feudal overlords?

QUOTE]

Eloquently put! And while the situation is not necessarily quite that extreme, I'm sure you know plenty of examples whereby that is not far from the truth.

The case in point from the OP being just one such example.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 7:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

I have heard a rumour from several seemingly reliable sources that the Exiles have a document, which I haven't seen myself but which was allegedly issued by HH Sheikh Rashed when he was Ruler of Dubai, that confirms the Exiles were granted their plot of land as a "gift in perpetuity".

In recognition of that, by way of compensation, they are getting a new plot of land on which to purpose-build a new ground (in time for the Dubai Sevens 2008, and the IRB Sevens World Cup which they have been awarded for 2009).

Do the Country Club have anything similar in terms of documentation? I'm not sure of the situation at Darjeeling CC. Worth checking the files at the Country Club, surely?

And by the way the Exiles are NOT, repeat NOT, moving to Sports City - it isn't adequate for their purposes.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 9:41 am
W10

Dude...

Shk Mo is the ruler now, anything else is irrelevant.

Emirates are taking over the sevens

Exiles are being shafted too as far as I know

Old Jul 30th 2007, 9:44 am
W10

Originally Posted by jvr20
you mean accept that we're here at the sufference of the feudal overlords?

BC what are they doing with the site?
It's part of Meydan.

Old Jul 30th 2007, 10:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
Dude...

W10 - not the most intelligent or constructive contribution you've made to this board - but never mind............ here goes:

True, you and I both know that Meydan will proceed and everyone will have to move - but the point I was making was that, contrary to your fears, the Exiles' document appears (as far as I'm hearing) to have given them a good bargaining chip when it comes to finding land to relocate to.

I was simply wondering if the Country Club had anything similar - that is all.

By the way - Speakeasy on Dubai Eye (103.8 FM) has Debbie from the Country Club as a guest on Thursday, I believe (9.00am - midday), discussing precisely this issue.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 10:24 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
W10 - not the most intelligent or constructive contribution you've made to this board - but never mind............ here goes:

True, you and I both know that Meydan will proceed and everyone will have to move - but the point I was making was that, contrary to your fears, the Exiles' document appears (as far as I'm hearing) to have given them a good bargaining chip when it comes to finding land to relocate to.

By the way - Speakeasy on Dubai Eye (103.8 FM) has Debbie from the Country Club as a guest on Thursday, I believe (9.00am - midday), discussing precisely this issue.

Yes I am hoping to be on Dubai Eye this Thursday. Along with some other members of the campaign committee. We do have the papers you are talking about but the rugby and cricket club - I am led to believe are now in the same position as us. The original affection plan of the new land had diffferent areas marked out for the three clubs. Now it is all going to Emirates who are going to build their own social club, cricket and rugby club. All three clubs have been well and truly shafted if you ask me.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 10:28 am
Banned

Modernian is a name known to allModernian is a name known to allModernian is a name known to allModernian is a name known to allModernian is a name known to allModernian is a name known to allModernian is a name known to allModernian is a name known to allModernian is a name known to allModernian is a name known to allModernian is a name known to all

Originally Posted by W10
Dude...

W10, what exactly do you mean by "Emirates are taking over the Sevens"? In what way?
Old Jul 30th 2007, 10:29 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Modernian
W10, what exactly do you mean by "Emirates are taking over the Sevens"? In what way?
The event has always been sponsored by Emirates Airlines but the Exiles benefitted from it to, now it will be held at an Emirates owned and built stadium.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 10:33 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
Ok Now I understand GA, I'm sorry to hear thatand as you say I guess nothing will be done. Isn't there going to be a new club in the new development, run by Emirates?
yes Patsy there will be a new club and it will be run by Emirates for their staff. We reckon what they will offer us is membership as way of compensation - but it won't be at 6000 Dhs a year that's for sure!!!
Old Jul 30th 2007, 11:07 am
W10

Originally Posted by The Dean

We'll see...I've been told otherwise by members of the Exiles.

Quote "We're being shafted"

You think restrictive covenents and the suchlike mean anything here? They may get land...but they've basically lost control of the sevens and any offer will be a poor fudge which they will have to accept

Old Jul 30th 2007, 11:12 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by W10
We'll see...I've been told otherwise by members of the Exiles.

Quote "We're being shafted"

You think restrictive covenents and the suchlike mean anything here? They may get land...but they've basically lost control of the sevens and any offer will be a poor fudge which they will have to accept
they aren't getting any land, well that is what I have heard. DCC were supposed to get 80 hectares, 6 for the exiles, and Emirates would get 10. Emirates are now getting 54 hectares and the Exiles and DCC are getting nothing.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 11:27 am
W10

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
they aren't getting any land, well that is what I have heard. DCC were supposed to get 80 hectares, 6 for the exiles, and Emirates would get 10. Emirates are now getting 54 hectares and the Exiles and DCC are getting nothing.
So everything I said which was 'not the most constructive or intelligent post I've made' is 100% true?

Old Jul 30th 2007, 11:33 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by W10
So everything I said which was 'not the most constructive or intelligent post I've made' is 100% true?
yes it is all true!!!
Old Jul 30th 2007, 12:50 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
yes it is all true!!!
Try plugging your case on Channel 7 News...it seemed to work for those dog lovers at K9 if my memory serves me right (which it rarely does). Incidentally, my family have been here nearly 18 months and have never frequented the Dubai Country Club once. We assumed it was too exclusive for us plebs.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 12:57 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by lionheart
Try plugging your case on Channel 7 News...it seemed to work for those dog lovers at K9 if my memory serves me right (which it rarely does). Incidentally, my family have been here nearly 18 months and have never frequented the Dubai Country Club once. We assumed it was too exclusive for us plebs.
your joking! it is dead down to earth! get yourself up there at the weekend!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.