British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Dubai Country Club - possible closure (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/dubai-country-club-possible-closure-469890/)

Blue Cat Jul 29th 2007 1:32 pm

Dubai Country Club - possible closure

http://www.petitionspot.com/petition...baicountryclub

Please please please sign this petition for me!!!

:):):)

Jackie Milburn Jul 29th 2007 1:35 pm

Re: Dubai Country Club - possible closure

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 5120604)

It's a done deal BC, we aren't talking Jumeriah beach here, unfortunately it'll happen.

Thebn we'll have to get a little happy the Rugby 7s at Sports City...

Madam Medusa Jul 29th 2007 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Jackie Milburn (Post 5120610)
It's a done deal BC, we aren't talking Jumeriah beach here, unfortunately it'll happen.

i tend to agree...soz BC...but a private club is never going to get the same support as the public beach. That said...some clever PR could sure as hell make sure you don't go down without a good fight...

MM, xx

Blue Cat Jul 29th 2007 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Jackie Milburn (Post 5120610)

thought you had only been here a couple of weeks!

Blue Cat Jul 29th 2007 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 5120612)
i tend to agree...soz BC...but a private club is never going to get the same support as the public beach. That said...some clever PR could sure as hell make sure you don't go down without a good fight...

MM, xx

they way I look at it is, that we have got try, why not? that place means a hell of alot to alot of people. It just proves that they can give you land and also take it off you!!! doesn't say much for the people who have invested here in Dubai does it? and I don't just mean villas, I mean commercial too.

Jackie Milburn Jul 29th 2007 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 5120646)
thought you had only been here a couple of weeks!

Indeed I have, but I never said I hadn't been here before...

Blue Cat Jul 29th 2007 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Jackie Milburn (Post 5120653)
Indeed I have, but I never said I hadn't been here before...

now that is interesting .....

Jackie Milburn Jul 29th 2007 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 5120652)
they way I look at it is, that we have got try, why not? that place means a hell of alot to alot of people. It just proves that they can give you land and also take it off you!!! doesn't say much for the people who have invested here in Dubai does it? and I don't just mean villas, I mean commercial too.

What it means is that the "authorities" have thought, "That's a great piece of real estate, we'll pay the owners off, they'll be happy with the $$$, we can make so much more"

And they'r right, they can.

Now whether that's the way to go, and whether that will stop influx into Dubai? Of course it wont, people on resident visas cant make a change, only corporates the worldwide can.

Get on the bandwagon, stop living in the past, move forward.

There'll always be another Country Club.

Madam Medusa Jul 29th 2007 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 5120652)

oh i agree...members if they feel strongly must try...i just think it's a done deal. Same as when they closed Jumeirah Beach club, members interests don't matter...it's the dosh that counts.

MM, xx

Blue Cat Jul 29th 2007 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by Jackie Milburn (Post 5120666)
What it means is that the "authorities" have thought, "That's a great piece of real estate, we'll pay the owners off, they'll be happy with the $$$, we can make so much more"

And they'r right, they can.

Now whether that's the way to go, and whether that will stop influx into Dubai? Of course it wont, people on resident visas cant make a change, only corporates the worldwide can.

Get on the bandwagon, stop living in the past, move forward.

There'll always be another Country Club.

that is where you are wrong, initially they offered to rebuild the club at a new location, we agreed to that and had plans drawn at a cost of 120K which were submitted. That WAS there compensation - they have withdrawn that and offered us NOTHING!!! so there won't be ANOTHER country club.

Jackie Milburn Jul 29th 2007 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 5120706)
that is where you are wrong, initially they offered to rebuild the club at a new location, we agreed to that and had plans drawn at a cost of 120K which were submitted. That WAS there compensation - they have withdrawn that and offered us NOTHING!!! so there won't be ANOTHER country club.

Welcome to Dubai

Blue Cat Jul 29th 2007 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by Jackie Milburn (Post 5120711)
Welcome to Dubai

you will never feel how I feel about the club. I met my husband there and had my wedding there, my daughters christening was there too. I can't sit back and let them rip it down without a good fight.

Jackie Milburn Jul 29th 2007 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 5120731)
you will never feel how I feel about the club. I met my husband there and had my wedding there, my daughters christening was there too. I can't sit back and let them rip it down without a good fight.

But this is the way that Dubai is, the government (and all their cronies) are only after one thing.

Either join the Vision for the furture, accept the small problems that that will bring about or....

Blue Cat Jul 29th 2007 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by Jackie Milburn (Post 5120737)
But this is the way that Dubai is, the government (and all their cronies) are only after one thing.

Either join the Vision for the furture, accept the small problems that that will bring about or....

right whatever, just sign it! please !

Jackie Milburn Jul 29th 2007 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 5120739)
right whatever, just sign it! please !

You've been watching too much Vicki Pollard....

Whatever!!

W10 Jul 29th 2007 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by Jackie Milburn (Post 5120737)

They're ripping up the camel track because it is prime real estate, you think heritage matters?

Jackie Milburn Jul 29th 2007 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by W10 (Post 5120812)
They're ripping up the camel track because it is prime real estate, you think heritage matters?

Exactly W10, that's exactly what I mean,

Money, money money, ain't it funny, it's a rich man's world....

And all that!

arbroath_abroad Jul 29th 2007 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 5120731)

and you think the authorities give a toss about that??

Of course they dont, unfortunately

Its Dubai, not the UK--people dont matter

Blue Cat Jul 29th 2007 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad (Post 5120860)
and you think the authorities give a toss about that??

Of course they dont, unfortunately

Its Dubai, not the UK--people dont matter

I know that AA but it has got to be worth a try. I wasn't expecting so much criticism for trying to save somewhere that has been an absolute lifeline for many an expat over the years.

arbroath_abroad Jul 29th 2007 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 5120866)
I know that AA but it has got to be worth a try. I wasn't expecting so much criticism for trying to save somewhere that has been an absolute lifeline for many an expat over the years.

dont think anyone is giving you criticism BC, just a reality check. There is nothing you can do about it.

Its time to move on. How many new expats use the place? (out of curiosity?)

Blue Cat Jul 29th 2007 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad (Post 5120872)
dont think anyone is giving you criticism BC, just a reality check. There is nothing you can do about it.

Its time to move on. How many new expats use the place? (out of curiosity?)

I don't have the exact figures but I can find out. We get new members joining every week. What about the members who have been members up there for twenty years. They are feeling pretty upset. It is worth a try at the end of day. Not everyone can afford the beach clubs and there isn't really anywhere else unless your in an Emaar gaff.

Madam Medusa Jul 29th 2007 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 5120902)
I don't have the exact figures but I can find out. We get new members joining every week. What about the members who have been members up there for twenty years. They are feeling pretty upset. It is worth a try at the end of day. Not everyone can afford the beach clubs and there isn't really anywhere else unless your in an Emaar gaff.

BC, i wasn't critizing you...and i can completely see why you are fighting...but it is inevitable, i'm sure, cos it will not attract general public sympathy, apart from members (and there are a few hundred i guess??) who really cares?

But...good luck in your fight, doll...
MM, xx

The Diabolical Jul 29th 2007 4:56 pm

I'm afraid the situation is hopeless.

Confucius Jul 29th 2007 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by The Diabolical (Post 5121182)
I'm afraid the situation is hopeless.

I'm more afraid than you are...

IndieG Jul 29th 2007 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 5120604)

I tried twice and it kept showing I've already signed this petition:confused: I tried using different email addresses, still wouldn't let me....

Will try again tomorrow.:)

Confucius Jul 29th 2007 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by IndieGirl (Post 5121664)
I tried twice and it kept showing I've already signed this petition:confused: I tried using different email addresses, still wouldn't let me....

The conspiracy has started...

beebee Jul 29th 2007 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by IndieGirl (Post 5121664)

won't let me sign either.. says i have already signed, but I know i havn't.
They aint going to get many signatures... :ohmy:

Confucius Jul 29th 2007 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by beebee (Post 5121724)
won't let me sign either.. says i have already signed, but I know i havn't.
They aint going to get many signatures... :ohmy:

The conspiracy continues...

beebee Jul 29th 2007 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Confucius (Post 5121744)
The conspiracy continues...

they don't need a conspiracy, but it is weird

Jackie Milburn Jul 29th 2007 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 5120866)

Me neither, no criticism was voiced, apologies if it felt that I was, as Mr. Scottish gentleman says, it was just a reality check.

Patsy Stoned Jul 29th 2007 8:12 pm

Forgive me for saying this GA, but don't you think "too little, too late?" you knew it was closing last year and now at the "death rattle" you decide to try to fight? I know how you feel but sorry babes I really don't think there is a lot you can do xx

W10 Jul 29th 2007 9:53 pm

Christ - I knew it and the Exiles were being screwed over 6 months ago. How come none of those guys wanted to face the reality?

Anyway...a harsh lesson for the 'Dubai cares about us' brigade.

**** this place, take all you can get from it and leave when it can't help you any more. Because that's what will happen vice versa.

Blue Cat Jul 30th 2007 3:48 am

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 5122029)
Forgive me for saying this GA, but don't you think "too little, too late?" you knew it was closing last year and now at the "death rattle" you decide to try to fight? I know how you feel but sorry babes I really don't think there is a lot you can do xx

Patsy 6 months ago they offered us a new plot of land, with a new build like for like offer. We had plans drawn up for a new club. I even went to see the new piece of land. Then last week they changed their minds and have given us NOTHING!!! you know me and I wanted to go full steam ahead to all the press etc in December, the management said there was no need as we were going to be given a brand new club with all mod cons :thumbsup::thumbsup: everyone was happy :):) then a sudden change of mind :(:(.

There are over 700 families who are members up there, and it isn't just to do with them, there is more to it than that. The Dubai Mens Open Golf Tournament - 30 years it has been held there, it is the official Dubai Men's Open, Emirates tried to nab it years ago and didn't get it - hence the Classic was invented. Why destroy history and memories.

I know we are fighting a loosing battle but I got to try. Will be contacting the media soon.

W10 you are sooo right.

The Diabolical Jul 30th 2007 3:52 am

Originally Posted by W10 (Post 5122313)
Christ - I knew it and the Exiles were being screwed over 6 months ago. How come none of those guys wanted to face the reality?

Anyway...a harsh lesson for the 'Dubai cares about us' brigade.

**** this place, take all you can get from it and leave when it can't help you any more. Because that's what will happen vice versa.

Somebody shoot me if I turn this angry and bitter..

Blue Cat Jul 30th 2007 4:01 am

Originally Posted by The Diabolical (Post 5123068)
Somebody shoot me if I turn this angry and bitter..

W10 is a good guy and I am sure he has good reason for feeling the way he does. I am starting to feel much the same!!!

The Diabolical Jul 30th 2007 4:09 am

Try to look at the bright side mate..We can make infinitely more money here than we can in the U.K..

Paidtoplease Jul 30th 2007 4:16 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 5123085)
W10 is a good guy and I am sure he has good reason for feeling the way he does. I am starting to feel much the same!!!

What I have noticed on this site is that ''most'' seem to have their bad days and appear to vent anger out in posts..this is a good thing...helps get it off their chest a bit to people who have been there too.. a wee rant is good for the soul:thumbsup:

The Diabolical Jul 30th 2007 4:25 am

It's not productive..As a successful businessman I cannot afford to be non productive. I can't let this negativism effect my day.

Good day

Paidtoplease Jul 30th 2007 4:30 am

Originally Posted by The Diabolical (Post 5123131)
It's not productive..As a successful businessman I cannot afford to be non productive. I can't let this negativism effect my day.

Good day

Perhaps, but even as a successful businessman I am sure that on occassions you have walked into your home and felt a negative feeling about something in your day...its human nature...keeping it inside can also be non productive...better to get it out in the open often it makes us feel better which in the end it helps us be productive..

Patsy Stoned Jul 30th 2007 4:59 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 5123062)
Patsy 6 months ago they offered us a new plot of land, with a new build like for like offer. We had plans drawn up for a new club. I even went to see the new piece of land. Then last week they changed their minds and have given us NOTHING!!! you know me and I wanted to go full steam ahead to all the press etc in December, the management said there was no need as we were going to be given a brand new club with all mod cons :thumbsup::thumbsup: everyone was happy :):) then a sudden change of mind :(:(.

There are over 700 families who are members up there, and it isn't just to do with them, there is more to it than that. The Dubai Mens Open Golf Tournament - 30 years it has been held there, it is the official Dubai Men's Open, Emirates tried to nab it years ago and didn't get it - hence the Classic was invented. Why destroy history and memories.

I know we are fighting a loosing battle but I got to try. Will be contacting the media soon.

W10 you are sooo right.

Ok Now I understand GA, I'm sorry to hear thatand as you say I guess nothing will be done. Isn't there going to be a new club in the new development, run by Emirates?