British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Dubai Country Club - possible closure (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/dubai-country-club-possible-closure-469890/)

jvr20 Jul 31st 2007 6:57 pm

Re: Dubai Country Club - possible closure

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 5132188)

What arrogant tosh! As a far better man than Bollockal once said: "I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member."

maybe feeding time at the troll house is over now.

The Dubai Country Club is known for its informal family-friendly approach, and is a place where even a mere mortal like me has always been made to feel welcome (and I've never been a member!!).

I must admit, i had a rather prejudiced and clearly unfounded opinion which has been totally reversed - are non-members welcome then? When's a good time to go?

W10 Jul 31st 2007 7:00 pm

Let me see now..........

Thanks anyway.

Prat.

Sorry...that amused me endlessly...the sign off was exellent too, although I'd consider changing your name :-)

Blue Cat Jul 31st 2007 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by jvr20 (Post 5132204)
maybe feeding time at the troll house is over now.

I must admit, i had a rather prejudiced and clearly unfounded opinion which has been totally reversed - are non-members welcome then? When's a good time to go?

non members are always welcome, you can pay at the gate, or ring me and I shall leave your name at the gate to ensure you get in :)

W10 Jul 31st 2007 7:05 pm

Maybe I should go check it out before it closes?

I still have a DCC sticker on my car :-)

I bought it from someone you know very well BC :D

Blue Cat Jul 31st 2007 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by W10 (Post 5132238)
Maybe I should go check it out before it closes?

I still have a DCC sticker on my car :-)

I bought it from someone you know very well BC :D

If you want a months free membership just let me know, can quite easily be sorted out. What a good idea, think I might sell my sticker!!

W10 Jul 31st 2007 7:12 pm

no no :-) I bought the car from a member of DCC and it still had the sticker in the windscreen.

Free memberships!! Are you trying to butter me up :-)

I am not a succesful businessman you know.

jvr20 Jul 31st 2007 7:18 pm

what's the day rate?

W10 Jul 31st 2007 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by jvr20 (Post 5132274)
what's the day rate?

for me...nothing :-)

jvr20 Jul 31st 2007 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by W10 (Post 5132278)
for me...nothing :-)

smuggle me in in your car then! :p

Blue Cat Jul 31st 2007 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by jvr20 (Post 5132274)
what's the day rate?

I can get you in free, and I can get you a months membership for free too. they are running a promotion over the summer, recommend a friend for a month. Let's face it the position they are in, they need all the help they can get :thumbsup:

jvr20 Jul 31st 2007 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 5132307)
I can get you in free, and I can get you a months membership for free too. they are running a promotion over the summer, recommend a friend for a month. Let's face it the position they are in, they need all the help they can get :thumbsup:

fantastic! Friday is it?

Blue Cat Jul 31st 2007 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by jvr20 (Post 5132618)
fantastic! Friday is it?

yeah if you want, just ring me.

The Diabolical Aug 1st 2007 2:17 am

Let me see now..........

Dire Bollockal says Dubai Creek will take on the "top 100 or 200 of you".

Top??? Top what - highest paid?? Nicest cars in the car park?? Double-barreled surnames??

Oh but wait....... there's an interview "process" for those who "feel they qualify"..... oh dear - no chance there then.

Mind you, if your "qualifications" are "exceptional" you might try Emirates Golf Club..........

What arrogant tosh! As a far better man than Bollockal once said: "I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member."

And go to him for help with "references"? That would be my second preference - my first would be to be struck by lightning.

The Dubai Country Club is known for its informal family-friendly approach, and is a place where even a mere mortal like me has always been made to feel welcome (and I've never been a member!!).

I think you'll find that most of the ordinary decent families who frequent the Country Club will get along just fine without the arrogance and snobbery of clubs that will only admit you if your "qualifications" are "exceptional".

Thanks anyway.

Prat.

I've never found either of those clubs to be like that..And "qualifications" and "exceptional" were Mr Gonzalas's words, not mine.

Don't kill the messenger. Rule #17

Oh, and don't bother asking me for references The Dean. I don't care what you look like. Youre not getting a positive one from me.

W10 Aug 1st 2007 3:22 am

I love you Mr Dia...will you make sweet sweet man love with me?

mythic Aug 1st 2007 3:33 am

Originally Posted by The Diabolical (Post 5133659)
I've never found either of those clubs to be like that..And "qualifications" and "exceptional" were Mr Gonzalas's words, not mine.

Oh, and don't bother asking me for references The Dean. I don't care what you look like. Youre not getting a positive one from me.

wow a sexist remark, from a proffesional as yourself, who wants to be around a posh club, i am a member of 4 clubs, all needed references, all needed interveiws, but none were recomended by a sexist.

The Diabolical Aug 1st 2007 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by mythic (Post 5133915)
wow a sexist remark, from a proffesional as yourself, who wants to be around a posh club, i am a member of 4 clubs, all needed references, all needed interveiws, but none were recomended by a sexist.

What are you talking about? I love women. Always have, and probably always will.

How dare you?

Ray Aug 1st 2007 4:07 pm

This is all very interesting !!

Blue Cat Aug 1st 2007 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 5136483)
This is all very interesting !!

interesting it may be but I started this thread with good intention to save the country club. Last night didn't go too well :(

shakh your bootie Aug 1st 2007 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 5136661)
interesting it may be but I started this thread with good intention to save the country club. Last night didn't go too well :(

Aww, sorry to hear that BC :(. What is the latest?

Blue Cat Aug 1st 2007 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 5136753)
Aww, sorry to hear that BC :(. What is the latest?

can't say on here mate, been told to shut up. Apparently the club belongs to the General Manager not the members. Will PM you.

shakh your bootie Aug 1st 2007 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 5136765)
can't say on here mate, been told to shut up. Apparently the club belongs to the General Manager not the members. Will PM you.

You did your best, old fruit. I hope that something works out - Shk Mo is quite a good sort, really.

Blue Cat Aug 1st 2007 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 5136773)
You did your best, old fruit. I hope that something works out - Shk Mo is quite a good sort, really.

I am still going to go and see Sheik Mohammed. He is in the Uk at the moment. :thumbsup:

Madam Medusa Aug 1st 2007 6:13 pm

BC...sorry to hear things didn't go well, but sounds like you haven't given up...

MM, xx

mythic Aug 1st 2007 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 5136777)
I am still going to go and see Sheik Mohammed. He is in the Uk at the moment. :thumbsup:

never give up something thats worth fighting for, i admire you, you will win through with the determination that i think you have,

Blue Cat Aug 1st 2007 6:32 pm

put it this way, it is a one woman battle at the minute. It has been discussed on 103.8 this morning.

mythic Aug 1st 2007 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 5136825)
put it this way, it is a one woman battle at the minute. It has been discussed on 103.8 this morning.

go for it mate, :thumbsup:

Blue Cat Aug 1st 2007 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by mythic (Post 5136854)
go for it mate, :thumbsup:

I will try my best, I can't do any more than that. I just don't understand why the other people there weren't prepared to go public on it all. We know we have lost club what we need now is compensation.

The Dean Aug 1st 2007 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by The Diabolical (Post 5133659)

Dear Dire Bollock All,

You "don't care what I look like"? What are you talking ab........ oh I see - you think that little 'avatar' picture is me????

You therefore have just been enrolled as an honorary life member of the Westminster And North Kensington Electoral Reform Society.

Actually that is a picture of the lovely Natalie Gulbis, who appears there as my inspirational "Woman Of The Week" after winning her first major golf tournament (The Evian Ladies Masters) in France on Sunday. More about her later, perhaps in another thread, but what I have to say about her will appeal more to the male than the female readership on this bored (sic).

More seriously - sorry to hear from Cat that the meeting didn't go too well last night. I'll be in touch on that. But you're right to carry on with the campaign - especially bearing in mind that, if you don't, it will be left to the likes of that person who spoke on the radio this morning.......

Blue Cat Aug 1st 2007 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 5137146)
Dear Dire Bollock All,

You "don't care what I look like"? What are you talking ab........ oh I see - you think that little 'avatar' picture is me????

You therefore have just been enrolled as an honorary life member of the Westminster And North Kensington Electoral Reform Society.

Actually that is a picture of the lovely Natalie Gulbis, who appears there as my inspirational "Woman Of The Week" after winning her first major golf tournament (The Evian Ladies Masters) in France on Sunday. More about her later, perhaps in another thread, but what I have to say about her will appeal more to the male than the female readership on this bored (sic).

More seriously - sorry to hear from Cat that the meeting didn't go too well last night. I'll be in touch on that. But you're right to carry on with the campaign - especially bearing in mind that, if you don't, it will be left to the likes of that person who spoke on the radio this morning.......

I need more support from other members though, I need a team to back me

Confucius Aug 1st 2007 9:08 pm

Ohhh...A small insignificant fact that went unnoticed...

jvr20 Aug 1st 2007 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by Confucius (Post 5137339)

that's not what the website says...

Blue Cat Aug 1st 2007 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by Confucius (Post 5137339)

yes your right

Confucius Aug 1st 2007 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by jvr20 (Post 5137343)
that's not what the website says...

I wouldn't know...They block Dubai Country Club websites in communist countries...

Confucius Aug 1st 2007 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 5137345)
yes your right

You know my thoughts about it...

jvr20 Aug 1st 2007 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by Confucius (Post 5137347)
I wouldn't know...They block Dubai Country Club websites in communist countries...

Owned by the members themselves, the club is governed by a dedicated Committee of elected members, and managed by a team of experienced leisure and hospitality professionals. A commitment to high standards of service, provision of quality and ensuring unquestionable value for money, are always key aims upheld.

communist country?

Confucius Aug 1st 2007 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by jvr20 (Post 5137363)
Owned by the members themselves, the club is governed by a dedicated Committee of elected members, and managed by a team of experienced leisure and hospitality professionals. A commitment to high standards of service, provision of quality and ensuring unquestionable value for money, are always key aims upheld.

communist country?

It all changed when Blue Cat said it was owned by the General Manager...

Blue Cat Aug 1st 2007 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Confucius (Post 5137372)
It all changed when Blue Cat said it was owned by the General Manager...

I said he thinks he owns it?

Confucius Aug 1st 2007 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 5137379)
I said he thinks he owns it?

Sure you did...Let me roll my eyes...

Blue Cat Aug 1st 2007 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by Confucius (Post 5137388)
Sure you did...Let me roll my eyes...

I can see how you misunderstood I was being sarcastic though :)

Confucius Aug 1st 2007 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 5137392)
I can see how you misunderstood I was being sarcastic though :)

I was getting different vibes from you...