Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai Bank says all female staff must wear abayas

Dubai Bank says all female staff must wear abayas

Old Nov 17th 2009, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

edinburger is a glorious beacon of lightedinburger is a glorious beacon of lightedinburger is a glorious beacon of lightedinburger is a glorious beacon of lightedinburger is a glorious beacon of lightedinburger is a glorious beacon of lightedinburger is a glorious beacon of lightedinburger is a glorious beacon of lightedinburger is a glorious beacon of lightedinburger is a glorious beacon of lightedinburger is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Dubai Bank says all female staff must wear abayas

Originally Posted by omer hussain
xxxxspam now deleted
WTF! Think you got your point across.......about 114times!

Last edited by Pollyana; Nov 18th 2009 at 8:43 am. Reason: removing the quoted spam
Old Nov 17th 2009, 6:58 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
[I][COLOR="Navy"]

Interesting point - but why would a non-Muslim have a bank account with a Muslim bank in the first place? I wouldn't dream of it.
Too right. After the ridiculous boycott of Danish products over some cartoons by a single newspaper I deliberate buy non-muslim products as much as I can...so I am now overweight from the ham and bacon and my liver is swollen from litres of German beer...

...having principles is hard sometimes

N.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 7:14 pm
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

My accounts were with Bradford and Bingley and with RBS in the UK and Gulf Bank in Kuwait. Gulf Bank did not go bust!! The former are now Spanish which I think is even worse.!
Old Nov 17th 2009, 7:27 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nixie in Dubai
I joined this bank in March and was laid off in three weeks time, because I refused to wear 'shaylas'. This particular requirement was not even mentioned in my contract. So, my overseas employement was very short one. UAE is not the country, where you can fight for your rights. Especially, if you are a woman.....
Islam has never been pro-women. It's a big lie we're being fed in the name of not upsetting people's beliefs that it's a force for good in the world.

As for fighting for rights in the UAE...most companies here still hold passports and don't allow their staff to change jobs without banning them for six months. I admire you for standing up for your principles as a free woman and not putting on a symbol of female oppression.

Originally Posted by Meow
Since when has the Koran stated that all women have to wear an abaya etc? As far as I am aware it states that everyone should dress modestly.

Surely it is un-Islamic (per the Koran not the Hadith) to force women to dress this way?

-
The koran actually states a woman should dress modestly...but who are we unbelieving kaffirs to point out such things to the faithful?

Saying that I think UAE law actually states women are not compelled to wear an abaya...but UAE says many things and means very little more often than not.

N.