Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Abu Dhabi - Salalah

Abu Dhabi - Salalah

Old Aug 21st 2009, 9:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Abu Dhabi - Salalah

I'm thinking of driving to Salalah for a few days during Ramadan. Has anyone done this? If so, what's the best route and how long did it take?

My googleing suggests it's c. 1200km and 12-14 hours but I can't seem to find a route.

Thanks,
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice
Default Re: Abu Dhabi - Salalah

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
I'm thinking of driving to Salalah for a few days during Ramadan. Has anyone done this? If so, what's the best route and how long did it take?

My googleing suggests it's c. 1200km and 12-14 hours but I can't seem to find a route.

Thanks,
Hi
we haven't done the trip, but plan to next year. To get to Salalah, go to Al Ain, head to either Sohar and head south (coastal route) or Nizwa (inland route). There is a sign south of Sohar which informs you that Salalah is 1215kms! I would break the trip with an overnighter at a rest house I think.

I think this route is covered in the Explorer "Oman Offroad" book.

or have a look at this link from the Abu Dhabi 4x4 club - there is lots of info on the route from halfway down the first page

http://www.ad4x4.com/club/viewtopic....&hilit=salalah

Hope you will let us know how you get on!
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 7:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluelionesse
Hi
we haven't done the trip, but plan to next year. To get to Salalah, go to Al Ain, head to either Sohar and head south (coastal route) or Nizwa (inland route). There is a sign south of Sohar which informs you that Salalah is 1215kms! I would break the trip with an overnighter at a rest house I think.

I think this route is covered in the Explorer "Oman Offroad" book.

or have a look at this link from the Abu Dhabi 4x4 club - there is lots of info on the route from halfway down the first page

http://www.ad4x4.com/club/viewtopic....&hilit=salalah

Hope you will let us know how you get on!
Thanks I will look into this and keep you informed. The coastal route sounds attractive but (I think) is much longer. Not sure I want to do 10 hours through the desert on my own.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 7:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

We went a few years ago - it's fab, liking walking back in time! Drive is flat, straight and boring. Took us 9 hours from Nizwa where we had an overnight stop, then 11 hours on the way back to Al Sawadi where we spent a couple of days. It's green and beautiful at this tme of year, the drive over the mountains down into Salalah is magical - we went from a rocky moon type landsacpe through low low clouds down into a green lush plateau - magical.

Suggest you take lots of CDs etc to listen to - there's no radio on the way down. We listened to Harry Potter . . . .

Also we filled up with petrol at each petrol station, just in case . . Took plenty of water etc. Each petrol station has a 'guest house' where they sell drinks, coffee, food etc. and have toilets - which were clean, altho squatter types. Didn't try the food but the coffee was palatable.

Enjoy
N
Old Nov 18th 2009, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

Took about 8 hours Nizwa to Salalah.

In the winter months, if it rains, the wadis along this section of the route can fill up, and there is the possibility of getting stranded between wadis, so take bottled water and tins of tuna and beans and check the weather carefully!!! (Plus carry a tin opener )

.....ah, see this is an old post! Did you go?

Last edited by Bonny Boy; Nov 18th 2009 at 6:57 am. Reason: Old post, brought forward by an *****
Old Nov 18th 2009, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

grapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nice

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse

Thanks,
Have done it from Dubai. From Abu Dhabi cross at Al Ain border, through Nizwa or along coast to Muscat and turn right. Nizwa probably quicker and more scenic. Takes 12-14 hours in one hit at 120kph. Don't go faster at night. Is one lane each direction highway for most of it with lots of sleepy truck drivers. Scenery near Salalah good. In between air base (Thumrait? Has a 5km runway for space shuttles I heard) and Nizwa is flat and boring, but spectacular in its own way.

Harry Potter an excellent idea - some of best audio books I've listened to.

Yes, fill up at every stop. I nearly ran out because I skipped one - spare petrol in jerry can saved a long walk. Take spare petrol, box of water, food.

Flooding wadis is no joke. You can be stuck for several hours waiting for them to subside. Reconsider journey if rain forecast.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

grapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bonny Boy
.....ah, see this is an old post! Did you go?
Ah. Just seen that too. Sorry