Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai Bank says all female staff must wear abayas

Dubai Bank says all female staff must wear abayas

Old Aug 22nd 2009, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dubai Bank says all female staff must wear abayas

All female staff at Dubai Bank, Muslim and non-Muslim, must wear a shailah (head scarf) and abaya (black cloak covering the whole body) starting this Ramadan, A memo sent to staff on Thursday says the bank has decided that all Muslim and non-Muslim female staff must wear a shailah and abaya.
A Dubai Bank official who would not reveal his name said a memo was issued to this effect by the human resources manager, informing employees that starting from the first day of Ramadan all female employees must wear a shailah and abaya regardless of their religion.
"Our bank is Islamic and must follow Sharia in all respects, which will satisfy our clients," he said. While the decision takes effect beginning first of Ramadan, it has become a rule and part of the dress code for female employees at all times.
but officials would not comment on the memo.
Gulf News has learnt that the proposal on the dress code was made by the bank's Fatwa and Sharia Supervisory Board in June and it was endorsed by the management. A circular was then issued on Thursday.
The Fatwa and Sharia Supervisory Board's proposal, a copy of which has been obtained by Gulf News, says the abaya should not have any embroidery or decoration on it and must not be coloured.

It says any female staff who does not adhere to this dress code should be advised by the human resources department at the bank to follow it.

If the staff member insists on not abiding by the law then the matter should be brought to the notice of the executive member of the Sharia supervisory board who can decide upon action to be taken against that staff.
The bank will encourage employees to wear a shailah and abaya by providing staff with them. The head of the human resources department has been instructed to ensure that employees adhere to the dress code.

The bank has given employees a grace period until after the Eid holiday after which it will become mandatory.
The proposal, signed by Shaikh Mohammad Taqi Usmani, Chairman of the Fatwa and Sharia Supervisory Board of Dubai Bank, says the move will gain customers' confidence and help market the bank's products.
Many customers, the proposal said, choose a bank based upon its appearance before considering other aspects. The dress code is essential in determining the bank's identity as a Sharia compliant institution.

http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/General/10342385.html
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 6:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai Bank says all female staff must wear abayas

Originally Posted by coffindodger
All female staff at Dubai Bank, Muslim and non-Muslim, must wear a shailah (head scarf) and abaya (black cloak covering the whole body) starting this Ramadan, A memo sent to staff on Thursday says the bank has decided that all Muslim and non-Muslim female staff must wear a shailah and abaya.
A Dubai Bank official who would not reveal his name said a memo was issued to this effect by the human resources manager, informing employees that starting from the first day of Ramadan all female employees must wear a shailah and abaya regardless of their religion.
"Our bank is Islamic and must follow Sharia in all respects, which will satisfy our clients," he said. While the decision takes effect beginning first of Ramadan, it has become a rule and part of the dress code for female employees at all times.
but officials would not comment on the memo.
Gulf News has learnt that the proposal on the dress code was made by the bank's Fatwa and Sharia Supervisory Board in June and it was endorsed by the management. A circular was then issued on Thursday.
The Fatwa and Sharia Supervisory Board's proposal, a copy of which has been obtained by Gulf News, says the abaya should not have any embroidery or decoration on it and must not be coloured.

It says any female staff who does not adhere to this dress code should be advised by the human resources department at the bank to follow it.

If the staff member insists on not abiding by the law then the matter should be brought to the notice of the executive member of the Sharia supervisory board who can decide upon action to be taken against that staff.
The bank will encourage employees to wear a shailah and abaya by providing staff with them. The head of the human resources department has been instructed to ensure that employees adhere to the dress code.

The bank has given employees a grace period until after the Eid holiday after which it will become mandatory.
The proposal, signed by Shaikh Mohammad Taqi Usmani, Chairman of the Fatwa and Sharia Supervisory Board of Dubai Bank, says the move will gain customers' confidence and help market the bank's products.
Many customers, the proposal said, choose a bank based upon its appearance before considering other aspects. The dress code is essential in determining the bank's identity as a Sharia compliant institution.

http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/General/10342385.html
As I've been saying for some time, Dubai is becoming ever more Islamic - just as Saudi goes in the other direction.
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 7:37 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Not quite the same uniforms and dress codes is it?

Now I wonder how many non-Muslim expats account holders will continue to do business with such a Islamofacist organisation?

I'd love to see a UK bank state ALL female staff must wear a nice business style skirt suit and keep their heads uncovered regardless of their religion and get away with it!

In all seriousness though is this is quite disguisting asking people to wear the religious attire of a religion they do not follow...then again the UAE, like most Islamic countries never signed up to the UN Charter on Human rights because it includes things like freedom of religion.

N.
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 4:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Not quite the same uniforms and dress codes is it?

Now I wonder how many non-Muslim expats account holders will continue to do business with such a Islamofacist organisation?

I'd love to see a UK bank state ALL female staff must wear a nice business style skirt suit and keep their heads uncovered regardless of their religion and get away with it!

In all seriousness though is this is quite disguisting asking people to wear the religious attire of a religion they do not follow...then again the UAE, like most Islamic countries never signed up to the UN Charter on Human rights because it includes things like freedom of religion.

N.

Interesting point - but why would a non-Muslim have a bank account with a Muslim bank in the first place? I wouldn't dream of it.
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 5:58 am
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

If a person wasn't into the bank's style of doign things, they wouldn't work there.

It would take a huge amount of chutzpah to work in an islamic bank but not agree with islamic rules.
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 6:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean

Interesting point - but why would a non-Muslim have a bank account with a Muslim bank in the first place? I wouldn't dream of it.
lol I bank with ADIB, having used ADCB, NBAD and HSBC in Abu Dhabi. ADIB are actually very good.
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

I banks with ADIB too - much better than HSBC.
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 10:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

i think it's outrageous to expect non-musilims to wear abayas and shaylas, especially if this wasn't part of their contract when they joined...but i suppose it's hobson's choice for the people working there now...

MM, xx
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

Nixie in Dubai is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
i think it's outrageous to expect non-musilims to wear abayas and shaylas, especially if this wasn't part of their contract when they joined...but i suppose it's hobson's choice for the people working there now...

MM, xx
I joined this bank in March and was laid off in three weeks time, because I refused to wear 'shaylas'. This particular requirement was not even mentioned in my contract. So, my overseas employement was very short one. UAE is not the country, where you can fight for your rights. Especially, if you are a woman.....
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

Ah, ya, I have to change my nick to 'Nixie is not in Dubai anymore' :-)
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 12:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Nixie in Dubai
I joined this bank in March and was laid off in three weeks time, because I refused to wear 'shaylas'. This particular requirement was not even mentioned in my contract. So, my overseas employement was very short one. UAE is not the country, where you can fight for your rights. Especially, if you are a woman.....
A few thoughts............

You may try the Labour Court. You may not have worked for them long enough to qualify for their help, but they don't usually like (as far as I hear) people being dismissed for no contractual reason.

Did you get rid of your apartment (I remember this from that other thread)?
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The Dean
A few thoughts............

You may try the Labour Court. You may not have worked for them long enough to qualify for their help, but they don't usually like (as far as I hear) people being dismissed for no contractual reason.

Did you get rid of your apartment (I remember this from that other thread)?
Yes, i did. My landlord, who is very intelligent person, returned me my money without taking a penalty, and a new tenant has bought all stuff in the appartment. So, at least I reimbursed my expenses.
But its nothing in comparison with my moral expenses.
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 12:32 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Since when has the Koran stated that all women have to wear an abaya etc? As far as I am aware it states that everyone should dress modestly.

Surely it is un-Islamic (per the Koran not the Hadith) to force women to dress this way?

-
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

Look at the comments to the article. Its all done by men. They are happy to wrap a woman. After my sad experience, I have a firm belief now, that woman in islam is not respected.
As for the bank, they will become a small domestic bank for very narrow client base. Western banks will scare to cooperate with such a conservative bank. You will see it very soon.
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 2:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Nixie in Dubai
Look at the comments to the article. Its all done by men. They are happy to wrap a woman. After my sad experience, I have a firm belief now, that woman in islam is not respected.
As for the bank, they will become a small domestic bank for very narrow client base. Western banks will scare to cooperate with such a conservative bank. You will see it very soon.
You're right - and I've just remembered who the bosses are...........

The top two are not unknown to me..............

http://www.dubaibank.ae/Content/Default.aspx?ID=142

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.