Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai: another one asking the same old questions

Dubai: another one asking the same old questions

Old Dec 29th 2007, 4:56 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai: another one asking the same old questions

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
LOL - a lot of people here moan about lack of culture but 8/10 of them I reckon weren't hitting the galleries, museums and theatres when they lived at home....

Well said!

And there are quite a few galleries in Dubai that run regular exhibitions, as well as the annual art fair. There are also theatres and that scene is getting bigger too. It would help if those who moaned about the 'lack of culture' actually supported what there is, as without that it won't improve.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 4:59 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by str
Hi all!

First and probably most important question to all those who like/love Dubai: Was it love on the first sight?? Or does it take a while until you will like it?
I've been down there for 1 day and two nights last year for an interview (didn't work out in the end for the money) and I was a bit disappointed - my impression was like it is just an artificial and sterile cluster of shopping malls and hotels in the dessert and didn't get the exciting feelings you get when you come to great cities like Paris, HK, Moscow, etc for the first time.
Do you think that there is still any hope for me that I will enjoy the city one day? (Of course you can enjoy any place with right people )
Considering the trip was for free it wasn't that bad though

Thanks for all useful answers that will hopefully come!

Not all of Dubai is just shopping malls - it depends where you are, although sadly much of the more newly built areas are like that. If you go to the older parts (e.g. Satwa, Deira) you will see a real town. Unfortunately too many expats never leave the giant malls/AR/Springs/Marina etc and really have no idea about the rest of the city.

Good luck!

-
Old Dec 29th 2007, 7:25 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Meow
Not all of Dubai is just shopping malls - it depends where you are, although sadly much of the more newly built areas are like that. If you go to the older parts (e.g. Satwa, Deira) you will see a real town. Unfortunately too many expats never leave the giant malls/AR/Springs/Marina etc and really have no idea about the rest of the city.

Good luck!

-
Sadly, it's virtually impossible to park in the older areas...last week I was charged DHS10 for an hour in a shitty open, makeshift car park in Bur Dubai...for that price I was expecting a windscreen wash at least.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe we need a "rent cap" on car park charges?
Old Dec 29th 2007, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

I've begun to love Dubai even more after my recent holiday in India
Old Dec 29th 2007, 9:15 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by IndieGirl
I've begun to love Dubai even more after my recent holiday in India
As for corruption, it now looks like the incumbent President of Kenya will win the election there despite trailing the Opposition by nearly 10% in the polls. It probably helped that there was a voter turnout of 115% in some of the President's favoured constituencies! At least the corruption over there is fairly transparent, unlike that in other places I could mention.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 9:15 pm
str
Forum Regular

str is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck!
-
I actually tried to get to see these areas the day I have been there. My problem was that I tried to get there by walking from the hotel near the airport without a map. On a HOT day in August. When I reached the port area, having lost about 20 pounds of sweat and being totally pissed off, I gave up and took a cab back to the hotel. The lesson learnt was that there is a very good reason that there are no pedestrains out in the streets in August.
I'm not that much into museums and operas, a decent lifely nightlife district with dozens of bars, restaurants and clubs would be a good start. As I understood such establishments are mostly located in hotels, so lurching from one pub to another will require taxi.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 9:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by str
I actually tried to get to see these areas the day I have been there. My problem was that I tried to get there by walking from the hotel near the airport without a map. On a HOT day in August. When I reached the port area, having lost about 20 pounds of sweat and being totally pissed off, I gave up and took a cab back to the hotel. The lesson learnt was that there is a very good reason that there are no pedestrains out in the streets in August.
I'm not that much into museums and operas, a decent lifely nightlife district with dozens of bars, restaurants and clubs would be a good start. As I understood such establishments are mostly located in hotels, so lurching from one pub to another will require taxi.
well...sounds like you learnt the hard way, lol!!!

there is the Madinat which has various bars, clubs and restaurants...but yeah, a pub crawl isn't exactly easy here in general...

MM, xx
Old Dec 29th 2007, 9:21 pm
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
well...sounds like you learnt the hard way, lol!!!

there is the Madinat which has various bars, clubs and restaurants...but yeah, a pub crawl isn't exactly easy here in general...

MM, xx

But cabs are cheap, so it is entirely possible
Old Dec 29th 2007, 9:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

But cabs are cheap, so it is entirely possible
true...but it cuts down significantly on drinking time

MM, xx
Old Dec 29th 2007, 9:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Amazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond repute

Culture may not be huge in Dubai but there are lots of places not so very far away that you get to by car which are very worth a visit. When I come down to Dubai we give the car to the valet, jump in taxis and pick the car up again from the valet when we go home again. Everyone's happy