Dubai: another one asking the same old questions

Dubai: another one asking the same old questions

Old Dec 26th 2007, 2:07 pm
str
Forum Regular

str is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dubai: another one asking the same old questions

Hi all!

I got an offer lately to work in Dubai and as I'm fully make use of the holidays to do my homeworks (wasted 2 days with dozens of dead forums before I found you guys here ) to weigh the pros and cons.
Here are some questions I couldn't find answers for:

First and probably most important question to all those who like/love Dubai: Was it love on the first sight?? Or does it take a while until you will like it?
I've been down there for 1 day and two nights last year for an interview (didn't work out in the end for the money) and I was a bit disappointed - my impression was like it is just an artificial and sterile cluster of shopping malls and hotels in the dessert and didn't get the exciting feelings you get when you come to great cities like Paris, HK, Moscow, etc for the first time.
Do you think that there is still any hope for me that I will enjoy the city one day? (Of course you can enjoy any place with right people )
Considering the trip was for free it wasn't that bad though

My package tends to be a few% below my current one but seems to be fairly good for Dubai standards (I'm in a hardship location now - so I can only get from worse to bad in the worst case).
The company will provide me company accomodation, 1 bedroom, all bills covered. I think that is a good think as I don't have to bother about exploding costs. But as I'm dealing with the European HQ only, they couldn't give me too many details on this and they are on Xmas break now. Does anybody know what the norm is for "company accomodation"? Will they have rented whole blocks where they put their staff in or will I have a choice? I will be alone out there btw.
Does anyone knows how the salaries in the construction industry have developed recently? The only posts from construction ppl. are at least a year old or so...

Just another issue I'm wondering about but not concerning me: As acco and school is a huge cost factor for the employers, are people with family usually in very senior positions? I guess those in need of a family package are not able to compete with me and my fellow singles for the lower level jobs?

Thanks for all useful answers that will hopefully come!
Old Dec 26th 2007, 3:34 pm

beebee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dubai: another one asking the same old questions

Originally Posted by str
Hi all!

I got an offer lately to work in Dubai and as I'm fully make use of the holidays to do my homeworks (wasted 2 days with dozens of dead forums before I found you guys here ) to weigh the pros and cons.
Here are some questions I couldn't find answers for:

First and probably most important question to all those who like/love Dubai: Was it love on the first sight?? Or does it take a while until you will like it?
I've been down there for 1 day and two nights last year for an interview (didn't work out in the end for the money) and I was a bit disappointed - my impression was like it is just an artificial and sterile cluster of shopping malls and hotels in the dessert and didn't get the exciting feelings you get when you come to great cities like Paris, HK, Moscow, etc for the first time.
Do you think that there is still any hope for me that I will enjoy the city one day? (Of course you can enjoy any place with right people )
Considering the trip was for free it wasn't that bad though

My package tends to be a few% below my current one but seems to be fairly good for Dubai standards (I'm in a hardship location now - so I can only get from worse to bad in the worst case).
The company will provide me company accomodation, 1 bedroom, all bills covered. I think that is a good think as I don't have to bother about exploding costs. But as I'm dealing with the European HQ only, they couldn't give me too many details on this and they are on Xmas break now. Does anybody know what the norm is for "company accomodation"? Will they have rented whole blocks where they put their staff in or will I have a choice? I will be alone out there btw.
Does anyone knows how the salaries in the construction industry have developed recently? The only posts from construction ppl. are at least a year old or so...

Just another issue I'm wondering about but not concerning me: As acco and school is a huge cost factor for the employers, are people with family usually in very senior positions? I guess those in need of a family package are not able to compete with me and my fellow singles for the lower level jobs?

Thanks for all useful answers that will hopefully come!
Hi..its pretty dead on here at the moment but I will answer your first question... I love Dubai and hate the thought of going back to the U.K, in fact I have been putting off visiting family back there for nearly 3 years. I love the weather and I feel safer here.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 4:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

I love Dubai as well, and there are lots of opportunities here if you want them. However if your first impression is:

....it is just an artificial and sterile cluster of shopping malls and hotels in the dessert...

then that is unlikely to change as, basically, that is exactly what it is. If you want culture, museums, theater etc then it is not the right place for you, although it is getting slowly better.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 4:21 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Border Reiver
I love Dubai as well, and there are lots of opportunities here if you want them. However if your first impression is:

....it is just an artificial and sterile cluster of shopping malls and hotels in the dessert...

then that is unlikely to change as, basically, that is exactly what it is. If you want culture, museums, theater etc then it is not the right place for you, although it is getting slowly better.
Unless you can afford wining and dining in 4-5 star hotels, your first impression of Dubai is about right...not forgetting the multitude of building sites, tower cranes and omnipresent traffic congestion. However, it's probably better than some cities I could name so come and enjoy the tax-free opportunity while you can.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 4:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

i know a few people who didnt like the place much when they arrived but after 4-6 months of getting to know the place and the social scene they now love Dubai.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 10:41 am
str
Forum Regular

str is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lionheart
...not forgetting the multitude of building sites, tower cranes ...
well, that's what i do like in dubai! as i said, construction bizz...

i know a few people who didnt like the place much when they arrived but after 4-6 months of getting to know the place and the social scene they now love Dubai.
good to hear that, inselaffen. so there's still hope for me!
I should probably grade the expectation down for a better good surprise/bad surprise ratio

Thanks for your replies so far!
Old Dec 27th 2007, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Paidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond repute

Dubai I had a roller coaster of emotions in teh 1st year but once you accept it is what it is, it is an enjoyable place but culture is not high on the list of things to do.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 10:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paidtoplease
Dubai I had a roller coaster of emotions in teh 1st year but once you accept it is what it is, it is an enjoyable place but culture is not high on the list of things to do.
LOL - a lot of people here moan about lack of culture but 8/10 of them I reckon weren't hitting the galleries, museums and theatres when they lived at home....
Old Dec 27th 2007, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Paidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
LOL - a lot of people here moan about lack of culture but 8/10 of them I reckon weren't hitting the galleries, museums and theatres when they lived at home....
What they had Galleries/Museums and Theatres in London ??? I never noticed....
Old Dec 27th 2007, 10:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

What they had Galleries/Museums and Theatres in London ??? I never noticed....
they were next to the pubs you were in!
Old Dec 27th 2007, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
they were next to the pubs you were in!

You sure ???
Old Dec 27th 2007, 11:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

You sure ???
Some of them even have bars inside them....
Old Dec 27th 2007, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
Some of them even have bars inside them....

Now you piggin tell me
Old Dec 27th 2007, 11:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Now you piggin tell me
looks like you have found that excuse you were looking for to leave Dubai and go back!
Old Dec 27th 2007, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
looks like you have found that excuse you were looking for to leave Dubai and go back!

Naaaa it's okay, I found some good one's here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.