Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Driving in the UAE

Driving in the UAE

Old Oct 4th 2009, 5:28 am
Forum Regular

Zico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really nice
Default Re: Driving in the UAE

Originally Posted by seven seas
So did you actually get a bunch of fines, or was the guy bullshitting?

Strange he got annoyed, if he was in an M3 then you wouldn't have been able to overtake him if he didn't want you to.

You'd have to be blind, stoned and asleep to let someone get ahead of you if you're in an M3.
The guy was bullshitting and couldnt drive an M3 properly - what a grade a c***
Old Oct 4th 2009, 8:59 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soukie
The link shows the penalties for breaking traffic laws (see 22 & 23 for overtaking issues) - it's clearly not allowed. However, as others have said it depends who you are, the time of day, colour of your car etc etc etc Anything seems to go until you get caught ! I have lost track of the number of accidents I have seen in Abu Dhabi due to bad lane discipline.

http://www.auto-uae.com/Rules/index.shtml
There are three main problems in the UAE which cause the dreadful driving conditions we are all witness to.

1. Law enforcement officers seem to have their own interepretation of the law resulting in some officers being stricter than PC busybody back in the UK and others being so lax in enforcement (and example) that no one really knows what the law is (or rather, what will get them into trouble, what is safe and what is not etc).

2. My girlfriend doesn't have a licence and has been taking lessons here. She had 5 lessons everyday last week and 4 different instructors - and each one taught her something contradictory to the other (the main issue seemed to be speed limits, with one saying it's fine to drive 10-20KPH over the posted limit and another say the limit is the limit).

3. Some local people (and non-locals with connections, wasta etc) think the laws don't apply to them (mostly because precedent has taught them they can cause serious accidents and walk away with little or no punishment). Some get licences without taking a single lesson for goodness sake.

If basic driving instruction isn't even standardised and the police have some who know and enforce the law and some who do not how on earth can this country ever expect to have some sort of standard of driving everyone knows and follows (and therefore reduces misunderstanding, accidents and other stupidity we see here)?

Recently the WHO published stats which stated you are six times more likely to die in a car accident in the UAE than in the Europe. The number 2 cause of death 2007 in the UAE was car accidents according to the AD Health Authority. I sit in my office daily looking at stats like that every week and it's frightening - I can only conclude human life just isn't as valuable in the UAE as elsewhere...tax free and sunshine is useless if you can only breath because you're plugging in.

N.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 10:42 am
Just Joined

Bull is an unknown quantity at this point

I hear it is trecherous!
Old Oct 5th 2009, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

B Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of light

...after being here a few years, here is a question - anyone ever seen a young local guy having a drivng lesson? No, nor me.....
Old Oct 6th 2009, 4:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by B Bear
...after being here a few years, here is a question - anyone ever seen a young local guy having a drivng lesson? No, nor me.....
Very good point - I work in an area just outside the main city (Abu Dhabi) where there are tons of learners driving around, and not once have I seen a local, at least not one in a dish-dash.