Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Driving in the UAE

Driving in the UAE

Old Aug 26th 2009, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

Zico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really nice
Default Driving in the UAE

Wonder if anyone has any thoughts.....

I was driving back from Abu Dhabi to Dubai on the main highway when an M3 decided to join the "race". Granted I had my lights on during the day and changed lanes by indicating then safely overtaking him, he decides to switch 4 lanes speed past and cut in, right in front of me.

Next he signals for me to pull over, why would I pull over for this maniac, so I decide to go round him which annoys him further. Its only when he lowered his, more than likely illegal full tints that I notice he's dressed in army gear.

We pull over and proceeds to tell me I have broken the law, "fine for speeding, fine for lights on and jail for not stopping" then he adds in a piss take accent "this aint England mate". Of course its not, we have rights in England, the majority dont drive like morons, most police officers dont come accross as w**kers, and I have sure as hell not been stopped by an army guy before.

What could I say to this irrate idiot other than sorry sir wont do it again...I wouldnt stand a chance would i.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

Poitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nice
Default Re: Driving in the UAE

You'll need to check your reg no. on police web site to see how much your fines are and if you got any black points.

The rest you put down to a UAE experience

Let us know.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 7:50 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zico2009

I was driving back from Abu Dhabi to Dubai on the main highway when an M3 decided to join the "race". Granted I had my lights on during the day and changed lanes by indicating then safely overtaking him, he decides to switch 4 lanes speed past and cut in, right in front of me.

Next he signals for me to pull over, why would I pull over for this maniac, so I decide to go round him which annoys him further. Its only when he lowered his, more than likely illegal full tints that I notice he's dressed in army gear.

We pull over and proceeds to tell me I have broken the law, "fine for speeding, fine for lights on and jail for not stopping" then he adds in a piss take accent "this aint England mate". Of course its not, we have rights in England, the majority dont drive like morons, most police officers dont come accross as w**kers, and I have sure as hell not been stopped by an army guy before.

What could I say to this irrate idiot other than sorry sir wont do it again...I wouldnt stand a chance would i.
Lots of self righteous racist arseholes here who will deliberate target expats as part their continual power trip...and there is little you can do about it. Similar things have happened to me, all you can do is say sorry, look innocent and keep calm no matter what.

He's right, this isn't England - in England everyone must follow the rule of law - even the police and military. This place can turn very nasty very quickly if you run into the wrong person.

N.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

Zico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
This place can turn very nasty very quickly if you run into the wrong person.

N.
and for that reason...........I'm out.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

wow... wtf?

All it takes is one incident when you're very unlucky...
Old Aug 27th 2009, 5:10 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

same happend to me on SZR by Dubal about 3 years ago, this landcruiser was so close to me i couldnt even see his headlights. I could not move lanes due to other traffic, so i kept at 120 until safe to do so.

So this twat comes alongside me, lowers his blacked out window, and again is in army gear.

He shouts something at me in arabic, to which (i have a red mist issue sometimes) i gentured to him to pull over where i honestly planned to kick him good looking..

as i moved over to the hard shoulder, he slowed right down also. In for a penny i thought (knowing full well what the outcome is going to be if i do lamp this twat) and he drew alongside me when i was stopped (basically blocking off the inside lane) and started pointing an imaginary gun at me and pulling the trigger..

At this point he then screamed something again in Arabic, to which i screamed in Scottish something along the lines of 'you should set a beepin example you prick'

and then he drove away at high speed. incident over

i often wander where i would be right now if he had got out of the car and approached me, because in all seriousness, i was that angry, frightened and pent up i would definately of floored him..

I bet i wouldnt be sitting typing this from Abu Dhabi for sure!!
Old Aug 27th 2009, 5:51 am
BE Enthusiast

spartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of light

It can work the other way though. A mate of mine was in an accident on the SZR a few years ago and a local was involved. They both had had a drink so the police decided that the matter didn't happen and the both walked away without any jail time. My mate had a banged up car but stayed out of jail. They put the frighteners on him first as it was the night the Oassis burnt down and said he had delayed the fire engine. Now that would have been an expensive fine. This place has no rules only guideline which can be bent in any direction according to who is involved and the way the people interpreting the rules want to read them.

Mike
Old Aug 27th 2009, 10:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
same happend to me on SZR by Dubal about 3 years ago, this landcruiser was so close to me i couldnt even see his headlights. I could not move lanes due to other traffic, so i kept at 120 until safe to do so.

So this twat comes alongside me, lowers his blacked out window, and again is in army gear.

He shouts something at me in arabic, to which (i have a red mist issue sometimes) i gentured to him to pull over where i honestly planned to kick him good looking..

as i moved over to the hard shoulder, he slowed right down also. In for a penny i thought (knowing full well what the outcome is going to be if i do lamp this twat) and he drew alongside me when i was stopped (basically blocking off the inside lane) and started pointing an imaginary gun at me and pulling the trigger..

At this point he then screamed something again in Arabic, to which i screamed in Scottish something along the lines of 'you should set a beepin example you prick'

and then he drove away at high speed. incident over

i often wander where i would be right now if he had got out of the car and approached me, because in all seriousness, i was that angry, frightened and pent up i would definately of floored him..

I bet i wouldnt be sitting typing this from Abu Dhabi for sure!!
well you may well be in abu dhabi but with no access to the outside world....
Old Aug 27th 2009, 11:06 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure you arrange your wireless broadband before going to jail so you can continue to check here for answers
Old Aug 27th 2009, 11:37 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
Make sure you arrange your wireless broadband before going to jail so you can continue to check here for answers
exactly..
Old Aug 27th 2009, 12:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
exactly..
but your "rasphberry" would still work
Old Aug 27th 2009, 12:52 pm
banned

Originally Posted by busybee2
yea, so i could call my mates and describe first hand what its like to be buggered by my cellmates...

lovely...
Old Aug 27th 2009, 1:37 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busybee2
And he can play games on it too if he gets bored of the usual jail life.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zico2009

Anyone can dress in army gear.
Chances are it was a guy on a power trip and nothing will come of it.
The only way to play the game is to grovel and apologise etc etc etc and it's all over and done with.
This country (moreso the people within it) will drive you nuts if you let it (I must have let it )
Old Aug 27th 2009, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

Poitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nice

Where has Zico gone??

Talking of Jail did you see the front of 7days today - sounds like hell down there in the Leb.
I'm watching all the "Banged up abroad" episodes - love them

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.