Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Day Of Rage In Bahrain Demonstration

Day Of Rage In Bahrain Demonstration

Old Apr 18th 2012, 11:17 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Day Of Rage In Bahrain Demonstration

I have no problem with journos tweeting or reporting on the situation, but they need to report both sides of the story.

Eason has so far tweeted 20+ times about the protestors and from what I could tell only once about the rest of the people in Bahrain who are just getting on with life. This is a bit sad considering the split is probably 5% vs 95% of the population

Also did he tweet about human rights issues in China? Of course not.
And is he planning to tweet about human rights issues in India? Of course not.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 11:37 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by norsk
I have no problem with journos tweeting or reporting on the situation, but they need to report both sides of the story.

Eason has so far tweeted 20+ times about the protestors and from what I could tell only once about the rest of the people in Bahrain who are just getting on with life. This is a bit sad considering the split is probably 5% vs 95% of the population

Also did he tweet about human rights issues in China? Of course not.
And is he planning to tweet about human rights issues in India? Of course not.
Here's a different view point re: human rights from http://www.portalf1.com/en/articles/...-human-rights/

"The Bahrain Grand Prix should not happen for one reason only. The country is in a state of emergency "

Lastly - this is my point - are you expecting all these journos that are flying in to get the whole story? I doubt it. What they will get is what they are used to getting - which is a story. And that is what I think you'll be seeing a lot of - quite one sided stories...
Old Apr 18th 2012, 11:49 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
Here's a different view point re: human rights from http://www.portalf1.com/en/articles/...-human-rights/

"The Bahrain Grand Prix should not happen for one reason only. The country is in a state of emergency "

Lastly - this is my point - are you expecting all these journos that are flying in to get the whole story? I doubt it. What they will get is what they are used to getting - which is a story. And that is what I think you'll be seeing a lot of - quite one sided stories...
No of course they won't balance their coverage, which is why they should not report on any of it and rather focus on the event itself...

that article is a load of bollocks. there is a risk of some nutter disrupting the race in every country currently on the schedule, i don't see why we should be more worried about bahrain. at least there the risk is visible and known to all hence more precautions are taken.

the current published threat level in the uk for example is 'substantial' which means that an attack is a strong possibility (https://www.mi5.gov.uk/output/threat-levels.html). does that mean the olympics should be cancelled?

what is your personal opinion Auto? should it be cancelled or allowed to proceed?
Old Apr 18th 2012, 12:03 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by norsk
i don't see why we should be more worried about bahrain.

Am I wrong - but didn't you leave Bahrain for Dubai as you felt unsafe? I honestly could be wrong, but that's what I thought?

the current published threat level in the uk for example is 'substantial' which means that an attack is a strong possibility (https://www.mi5.gov.uk/output/threat-levels.html). does that mean the olympics should be cancelled?

Are you really equating London and Bahrain? Seriously?

what is your personal opinion Auto? should it be cancelled or allowed to proceed?

To be honest, I've not been there since the troubles have started. My first hand views in some ways come from this post and also from western reports. And a lot of you guys have been worried, moved country, seen some heavy shit inc. teargas, gas canisters blowing up, rubber bullets, swords and crude bombs plus indicating foreign countries with influence etc etc.

Do I think it is safe to run it - maybe.
Do I think it's right to run it, to be honest, I err on no.

What about you Norsk? You have more first hand knowledge - should they run it and why (I assume you think they should)
Old Apr 18th 2012, 1:15 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

You're right, feeling unsafe (mainly due to my family) was one of the reasons why I left Bahrain. The other was that my job in Saudi was not what I wanted from my career and my employers were not great (actually make that shit)...

The situation today is vastly different from what it was last year based on what people I know on the ground tell me. It has somehow stabilised itself back to 'Bahrain normality'. Don't forget that there has been protesting in the villages for decades, and for sure the Shia have been dumped on by the Sunnis during that whole time. The difference now is that because of the Arab Spring people of the world actually give a toss..

No, I'm definitely not equating Bahrain to the UK. I am however saying that every country in the world has risks associated with hosting a major sporting event. Let us not be so narrow-minded as to believe that nothing could ever happen in a so-called democratic country just because they are not considered to be questionable in terms of human rights..

Do I think they should let it run this year? Yes I do.

Last year cancelling the race was the right decision (and quite rightly the decision was driven by the Bahrainis themselves). You could argue that the FIA should not have left the race on the calendar this year, but since it is there cancelling it now would be foolish thing to do. The only justified reason I can see is if there was concrete proof of almost certain injury to teams, spectators or others in Bahrain.

I don't think it is in the FIA's interest to get involved in politics by judging individual countries of being in breach of their 'standards'. Also there is the small case of how to decide what those 'standards' look like. Much better/easier to stay on the outside...
Old Apr 18th 2012, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

Brit.Loz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmm, have not had internet access for a while but my Bahrain visa is now ready and flights are being booked for my arrival next week. I thought it was a prudent move to wait until after the GP had passed...

I've seen some TV news (BBC, CNN & Sky) so have been able to try and catch the present position as best you can from afar.

Not quite sure what to expect on my arrival to be honest. I'm a little torn between fear of the unknown (in respect of the tensions) and balancing being worried (and family concerns over my safety) against the positive view that you can safely avoid being affected by these problems and troubles.

Hope to catch up with some of you guys/girls at some stage in the near future. Be safe!
Old Apr 18th 2012, 2:29 pm
Banned

Chipsnsalsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Re autonomy, yeah, I reckon they've shot themselves in the foot (with a teargas canister perhaps ) by pushing so hard to keep the F1. They obviously thought all the international media would be good boys like the locals and only report the race and nothing else. Clearly got no idea how western press works: if they get a sniff of a story that'll sell (downtrodden protesters, etc) they go after it like Gary Glitter in a kindergarten. Did you read the Mirror stuff by Byron whatsisname? Gov should probably ask Bell Pottinger for a refund

Re Norsk, wouldn't say it's 95/5 mate, have you been at the GDN again?? Just last month they had a huge anti-gov march, reckon upwards of a quarter of all Bahrainis were on it. When you consider many that didn't march still support them but couldn't make it (work, jail, kids, out of country, laziness...) no doubt there's a whole bunch of protesters out there. Plus Al Wefaq got two thirds of the vote in the last election (but less than half of the seats, long live democracy! )

And now they've started blowing up the rozzers....who's next? Hope they get Schumacher, the cheating, Damon Hill-crashing bastard! But leave Jenson alone!!

Re tockalosh Mate if you want a good laugh look up @sheikhkhalifapm on twitter.

PS Norsk: "and quite rightly the decision was driven by the Bahrainis themselves"

I see what you did there....
Old Apr 18th 2012, 2:38 pm