Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Converting UK driving license with out of date pic

Converting UK driving license with out of date pic

Old Oct 25th 2010, 5:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Converting UK driving license with out of date pic

Originally Posted by CeeBee
This is actually news to me. So if i'm insured on someone else's car whilst i'm back I assume that this is also the case?
well i presume so, the question was put to the dvla about uk licences and driving onthem in the uk, dvla said that if you are not resident you must use your foreign licence, as the uk licence is not valid etc.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 5:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

So if you don't have a foreign license your not allowed to drive in the UK even though you have a UK license? Surely that can't be right?
Old Oct 26th 2010, 6:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
So if you don't have a foreign license your not allowed to drive in the UK even though you have a UK license? Surely that can't be right?
yeh i know stupid isnt it.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 10:16 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

The issue is to do with residency & insurance, not the actual licence. If you are not a UK resident you need to get special permission from insurance companies, at higher cost.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 10:41 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Having said that, some car rental companies will still accept a UK licence even if you are non-resident, although the insurance may not necessarily be valid. If you still own/occupy a UK property, you can probably get away with it as they normally just ask for a UK address. The better rental companies, however, request proof of residency as well (eg. utility or phone bills). Better to use your UAE licence if you have one.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 11:02 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Having said that, some car rental companies will still accept a UK licence even if you are non-resident, although the insurance may not necessarily be valid. If you still own/occupy a UK property, you can probably get away with it as they normally just ask for a UK address. The better rental companies, however, request proof of residency as well (eg. utility or phone bills). Better to use your UAE licence if you have one.
If you are non-resident but claim that you are that is insurance fraud. The motor insurance will be invalid and it is a criminal offence. Just not worth it to save a few pounds...
Old Oct 26th 2010, 12:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Meow
If you are non-resident but claim that you are that is insurance fraud. The motor insurance will be invalid and it is a criminal offence. Just not worth it to save a few pounds...
yeh but the problem is that they dont ask u if u are resident or not, just for your licence so unless they specific it then how would u know?
Old Oct 26th 2010, 1:25 pm
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by busybee2
yeh but the problem is that they dont ask u if u are resident or not, just for your licence so unless they specific it then how would u know?
Oh, I don; tknow. You could use a brain, or some common sense or that amazing thing called Google...

Just because someone doesn't ask you a question, doesn't mean you aren't liable. You generally have to fill in paperwork with an address too. Being an idiot is not the best defence.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 1:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

but when I rented a car in September I had told them I was living abroad- had a long conversation with the guy in the rental company about it and he didn't mention it at all! That was with Enterprise who are a big enough company that you would think they would know about this. anyway I've sent off my license renewal so will hopefully have a new license in 3 weeks so can change it over so won't have to worry in the future!
Old Oct 26th 2010, 1:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Meow
Oh, I don; tknow. You could use a brain, or some common sense or that amazing thing called Google...

Just because someone doesn't ask you a question, doesn't mean you aren't liable. You generally have to fill in paperwork with an address too. Being an idiot is not the best defence.
yeh i know that but when you do it over the computer it doesnt specific which driving licence etc. they just assume at the airport etc, but it works both ways.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
but when I rented a car in September I had told them I was living abroad- had a long conversation with the guy in the rental company about it and he didn't mention it at all! That was with Enterprise who are a big enough company that you would think they would know about this. anyway I've sent off my license renewal so will hopefully have a new license in 3 weeks so can change it over so won't have to worry in the future!
Don't want to complicate things even further, but it was my understanding that you cannot renew your UK driving licence photocard if you are not UK resident. Of course, if you use a UK address they're never going to know any different, but seeing as we're saying that ignorance is no defence...
Old Oct 26th 2010, 2:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

thanks csdf- I did notice that but worth risking!