British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Converting UK driving license with out of date pic (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/converting-uk-driving-license-out-date-pic-690686/)

kittycat1 Oct 23rd 2010 5:41 am

Converting UK driving license with out of date pic

Hi all,

Right I have decided I really do need to get my finger out my arse and get a car- which means changing my license over- however my UK photo ID is out of date (as is over 10 years old), Will I still be able to change it over here or do I need to sort that out first?

Cheers

Kittycat
xxx

CeeBee Oct 23rd 2010 6:39 am

Re: Converting UK driving license with out of date pic

Just done it.

You have to apply online through the DVLA for the update form which is then posted to your UK address. You will then need this to be posted here by someone back in the UK as you have to sign it and attach photos and all that jazz.

Be warned though, the form will take a few weeks to reach the uk address so you're probably looking at receiving the form 3 weeks from today. After you've sent it off it'll take another few weeks before they post the new licence back (again to the UK address).

Its a nightmare. Luckily I was back there when mine expired.

kittycat1 Oct 23rd 2010 6:45 am

My brother is here on holds at the moment and had bought my post over which included the DVLA letter telling me its out of date so can fill it all in and pack it back off to the UK with my bro. So that side of it is sorted, was just hoping they wouldn't notice here that the picture is out of date.

Roadking Oct 23rd 2010 7:13 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 8937154)
My brother is here on holds at the moment and had bought my post over which included the DVLA letter telling me its out of date so can fill it all in and pack it back off to the UK with my bro. So that side of it is sorted, was just hoping they wouldn't notice here that the picture is out of date.

They take a new picture of you when they change the licence, not sure they even looked at my UK licence when I did it..but that was some years ago.

Oyibopeppeh Oct 23rd 2010 8:02 am

My photocard license had just expired when it came round to getting a UAE license, so I just had the paper part translated and they accepted it. They didn't even look at the original of either the photocard or the paper part.

Eva Oct 23rd 2010 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 8937179)
They take a new picture of you when they change the licence, not sure they even looked at my UK licence when I did it..

That's totally reasonable.

MataHari Oct 24th 2010 3:13 am

not sure what a photo ID thing is, but not so long ago I went to get a Dubai license with a client and his SA driving license had expired while his was here in Dubai, only for about 3 weeks or so, but there was absolutely no way they would give him a Dubai license.

lionheart Oct 24th 2010 5:23 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 8938587)
not sure what a photo ID thing is, but not so long ago I went to get a Dubai license with a client and his SA driving license had expired while his was here in Dubai, only for about 3 weeks or so, but there was absolutely no way they would give him a Dubai license.

But UK licences don't really expire, do they? Mine is so old that it doesn't even have a photo on it, just pink and green paper. Had no trouble exchanging that for a new UAE version. All you need is a current photo and eye test certificate.

Oyibopeppeh Oct 24th 2010 5:26 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 8938648)
But UK licences don't really expire, do they? Mine is so old that it doesn't even have a photo on it, just pink and green paper. Had no trouble exchanging that for a new UAE version. All you need is a current photo and eye test certificate.

The photocard part is valid for 10 years, so although the license may be valid, the photocard isn't and they won't accept it. I had no problem using the paper part.

kittycat1 Oct 24th 2010 5:27 am

The UK picture license has to be renewed every 10 years. however I did hire a car when I last went home and it was out of date then and they didnt seem fussed. My paper license is still valid though.. all very confusing really.:confused:

busybee2 Oct 24th 2010 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 8938651)
The UK picture license has to be renewed every 10 years. however I did hire a car when I last went home and it was out of date then and they didnt seem fussed. My paper license is still valid though.. all very confusing really.:confused:

somebody recently noted that after a conversation with dvla you shouldnt be using your uk driving licence to hire a car in the uk, as you are not resident the licence is not valid and if insurance had to be paid out, you would not be covered, you should use your uae licence.

kittycat1 Oct 24th 2010 4:51 pm

really busy bee? wow I did not know that- so if I dont have a UAE license I shouldn't be driving in the UK?

Right its being shifted to the top of my todo list!

busybee2 Oct 24th 2010 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 8939252)
really busy bee? wow I did not know that- so if I dont have a UAE license I shouldn't be driving in the UK?

Right its being shifted to the top of my todo list!

no if you have a uk driving licence and then you dont live in the uk, you cannot go back and hire a car on a uk licence. you should use your uae one, but thats only if you have a uae licence to use in the first place, not everyone will convert their uk to uae. but thats what somebody was told from the dvla. if you are not resident you cannot use your uk licence you will not be insured etc.

CeeBee Oct 24th 2010 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 8939409)
no if you have a uk driving licence and then you dont live in the uk, you cannot go back and hire a car on a uk licence. you should use your uae one, but thats only if you have a uae licence to use in the first place, not everyone will convert their uk to uae. but thats what somebody was told from the dvla. if you are not resident you cannot use your uk licence you will not be insured etc.

This is actually news to me. So if i'm insured on someone else's car whilst i'm back I assume that this is also the case?

MataHari Oct 25th 2010 5:04 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 8937095)
Hi all,

Right I have decided I really do need to get my finger out my arse and get a car- which means changing my license over- however my UK photo ID is out of date (as is over 10 years old), Will I still be able to change it over here or do I need to sort that out first?

Cheers

Kittycat
xxx

anyway...the only way to find out for sure is to go over to RTA, bring your UK license (both card and paper doc), passport, eyetest certificate, 2 passport pics, non objection letter from sponsor and 360 dhs...
There is a small office at Union Coop opposite Safa park on Al Wasl road, shouldn't take more than 15 mins to find out what the deal is on this.