Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Abu Dhabi Banks – which is the best of the bad bunch?

Abu Dhabi Banks – which is the best of the bad bunch?

Old Oct 18th 2010, 9:27 am
Just Joined

Lump is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Abu Dhabi Banks – which is the best of the bad bunch?

Good Afternoon one and all,

Firstly better introduce myself as this is my first post, basics are 26 y/o farm boy from Herefordshire working in the oil & gas industry - just a different field. I have been in Abu Dhabi for 5 week’s now and already frustrated with how long some things seem to take and would appreciate some advice on which bank’s should be considered and which should be avoided.

I am only after a basic account where direct debits (or post dated cheques) can be set up for rent and a hire car. Also that I can transfer an amount to an offshore account every so often with the least amount of hassle.

Any feedback will be appreciated

Cheers

Will
Old Oct 18th 2010, 10:20 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Abu Dhabi Banks – which is the best of the bad bunch?

Originally Posted by Lump
Good Afternoon one and all,

Firstly better introduce myself as this is my first post, basics are 26 y/o farm boy from Herefordshire working in the oil & gas industry - just a different field. I have been in Abu Dhabi for 5 week’s now and already frustrated with how long some things seem to take and would appreciate some advice on which bank’s should be considered and which should be avoided.

I am only after a basic account where direct debits (or post dated cheques) can be set up for rent and a hire car. Also that I can transfer an amount to an offshore account every so often with the least amount of hassle.

Any feedback will be appreciated

Cheers

Will
I'm using Standard Chartered for my local banking and they are ok if that helps. Just bear in mind that even the international banks here are franchises so you won't always get the same level of service and probably don't want to keep too much spare cash here.

N.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 10:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

abu dhabi commercial bank i have used for 13 years, they do have their bad moments, but they also are pretty good for local standards.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

I use ADCB and haven't had any problems although my banking is simple - no loans etc. This subject has been discussed before so you may find this link useful.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...highlight=bank
Old Oct 18th 2010, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

Ar5enal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by soukie
I use ADCB and haven't had any problems although my banking is simple - no loans etc. This subject has been discussed before so you may find this link useful.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...highlight=bank
NBAD is one of the best.......
Old Oct 19th 2010, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ar5enal
NBAD is one of the best.......(of a bad bunch)
I think this statement needs to be qualified as per the original title of this thread.

In my experience, NBAD are fine unless you want them to do something other than look after your money, provide a good coverage of branches and ATMs etc. Their customer service is awful.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 9:27 am
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute

most people in my office started off using NBAD and have now transferred to Abu Dhabi Commercial Bank. I'm ADCB and apart from incessant phone calls about a credit card, they've been fine.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 12:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lullabelle
most people in my office started off using NBAD and have now transferred to Abu Dhabi Commercial Bank. I'm ADCB and apart from incessant phone calls about a credit card, they've been fine.
yeh we luv it when they ring up about the credit cards, considering the probs we have had with the credit card. ordered a supplementary card for moi, as we opened this bank account in the days when wifes couldnt have bank accounts, so still after 2.5 weeks no sign of card, go to branch to check, on computer, but spelt name wrong, told branch to reissue with correct name, nope we need to physically get the card, then will reissue, so give them again the correct spelling, anyway card to be delivered by courier, but hubs not around, will not deliver to anybody else, although i am on the account, so in the end they send it back to hq, to send it to the branch, yes the right spelling credit card, so activate the card to get pin number go to pobox to collect pin number but they have activiated the card that we never got and they said they would only give out a pin number to activated cards!!! still havent got the pin number it was a mistake by visa apparantly, so its fun when they try and flog credit cards!!!
Old Oct 27th 2010, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

mummy2dolly is a jewel in the roughmummy2dolly is a jewel in the roughmummy2dolly is a jewel in the roughmummy2dolly is a jewel in the rough

Do they require you keep a minimum balance?
Old Oct 27th 2010, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

My NBAD account requires 1000 DHS. But if you're a woman, and I assume you are from your handle, then you can open a Ladies Account which has no minimum balance requirement.