Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

construction manager

construction manager

Old Jun 16th 2008, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

mydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: construction manager

i think some of the companies rely on the fact that most people heading here from the uk (or elsewhere for that matter) don't have a clue about the working environment here. They tend to focus on the tax free and the endless sunshine aspects. my experience is that my hourly rate is not much better than the UK AFTER tax and the only reason I've saved more is because of working 50 hour weeks.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

twistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mydogbitjesus
i think some of the companies rely on the fact that most people heading here from the uk (or elsewhere for that matter) don't have a clue about the working environment here. They tend to focus on the tax free and the endless sunshine aspects. my experience is that my hourly rate is not much better than the UK AFTER tax and the only reason I've saved more is because of working 50 hour weeks.
Well, you are being paid far too little my friend!!
Old Jun 16th 2008, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

mydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond repute

I know!! ha ha ha! (especially when a friend doing the same job with another company here is getting around 30% more than me now!). I have saved though, but I have revised my formula for working out whether to stay here and computer says "no" NOC's and employer refusing to negotiate are negatives too unfortunately.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

leavinguk is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers everyone for the replies. They give me some good places to start and also some more questions to ask.

What is the average working week? I know it will vary from company to company but there must be an industry average.

What is the comunity/social life like for a newbie expat on his own.

What is job security like.

And no arbroath_abroad Im not Neville............pet.

More questions to come after Ive scanned all the forum a bit more
Old Jun 16th 2008, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

madscots will become famous soon enoughmadscots will become famous soon enough

leaving uk

its usually 11/14 days, usually 8 to 6, shorter or different hours in july and august, also different hours when its ramadan.
job security thats a difficult one, if you read spugsys situation, its very changable.
get everything in writing so you have it in front of you.

good luck
Old Jul 1st 2008, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

leavinguk is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it the wrong time to be looking for work as im struggling to get a response from agencies. Ive only tried Hill Mcglynn and Charterhouse but havent heard back from either of them. Am i going to struggle finding a site manager job or is it just a case of waiting longer for a response? I dont want to send my cv out to loads of companies and seem desperate but on the other hand i dont want to stay in the uk for ever! :curse:

Im happy to work in UAE, Saudi or Oman so has anyone got any ideas of the best places/companies to look/contact to work in those areas? All help appreciated
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 4:35 am
Forum Regular

twistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of light

You really will have no problems finding work here - massive shortage of decent guys. Just be patient - contact the companies directly, or chase up the agencies.
Many people waste the agencies guy time by applying and then getting cold feet when interviews are mentioned, so they have to weed out those who they think are serious.
Chase them up and keep pestering them.
Don't go for Site Manager out here - the position doesn't exist, as jobs are too big. Construction Manager or Project Manager if you're capable.
PM me if you want anything more specific.
Good luck, keep pestering and stay positive. The Projects out here far exceed anything you'll get in the UK
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

madscots will become famous soon enoughmadscots will become famous soon enough

leavinguk,

im in the same boat as you with hill mcglyn, they are hopeless in my experiance, slow at contacting you. just keep at them.