Reload this Page >

construction manager

construction manager

Old Jun 12th 2008, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

leavinguk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default construction manager

Hi there

New to the forum and looking for advice.

Im looking for companies, forums or agencies that can give good advice on finding a site manager job in the Middle East.

Ive been a site manager in the UK for 10 years working on various construction projects with values up to £8m. Im 39 years old and only speak English which may well be my downfall!

Never looked for work abroad, except for a brief excursion to East Germany as a bricklayer in my 20's, so any general advice of pitfalls to watch out for will be greatly received.

Cheers.

Leavinguk
Old Jun 12th 2008, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

madferrit is just really nicemadferrit is just really nicemadferrit is just really nicemadferrit is just really nicemadferrit is just really nicemadferrit is just really nicemadferrit is just really nicemadferrit is just really nicemadferrit is just really nicemadferrit is just really nicemadferrit is just really nice
Default Re: construction manager

Can't really help too much, but I'll start by saying that the Wiki (at the top) is a great resource with a wealth of information which will get you started.

As for only speaking english.. i don't think that will be a hindrance at all. If anything, it will help you far more than if you only spoke Punjabi!

There is a lot of information on this forum, using the search function will help you. I'm sure others will come along and give you some more specific replies to your query.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

highways is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by leavinguk
Hi there

New to the forum and looking for advice.

Im looking for companies, forums or agencies that can give good advice on finding a site manager job in the Middle East.

Ive been a site manager in the UK for 10 years working on various construction projects with values up to £8m. Im 39 years old and only speak English which may well be my downfall!

Never looked for work abroad, except for a brief excursion to East Germany as a bricklayer in my 20's, so any general advice of pitfalls to watch out for will be greatly received.

Cheers.

Leavinguk
As I'm also working in the construction industry, I suggest searching the website of bbt global (good agency and they have contacts in the middle east). You can also contact the big contractors that are operating in the middle east directly.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

markhighpeak is an unknown quantity at this point

Dont bother with BBT or Maxim, I wrote to both of them and got no reply, not even a curtesy no thanks, try build-consult or concor, I've had good feedback off both and they seem very professional.

PM me if you need any more help. BTW I'm going out to Dubai next week to look for a job so I'll let you know how I get on.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

Ahmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really nice

Hey

Have you looked on Bechtel's website?

They are desperate for people to work with them in Jubail, Saudi Arabia. Phase 2 of Jubail Industrial City is worth 36 billion USD ( I heard that from people, no official source).

http://www.bechtel.co.uk/opportunities

Goodluck
Old Jun 15th 2008, 4:33 am
Forum Regular

twistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of light

Carillion, Leytons, Laing O'Rourke, ACC, Dutco Balfour Beatty are all good, large companies working here. Try them directly.
Charterhouse are also a good agency to get work with.
Good luck
Old Jun 15th 2008, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

mydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond repute

I'd steer clear of Carillion if I were you. I've heard not too good things about them recently. they seem to be having quite a turnover of people.
Old Jun 15th 2008, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

TBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud of

.....although they give there staff good accomodation packages in this ever growing rental problem so Horses for courses!
Old Jun 15th 2008, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

mydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond repute

more accom allowance only benefits the landlord, doesn't go in my pocket, plus if your in company accom you don't even see the allowance anyway. what goes into my bank account is the bottom line here, and i hear that Carillion aren't keeping up with market rates in that department.
Old Jun 15th 2008, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

TBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud of

....I think thats with all companies to be honest the market is moving faster then the HR departments in most cases
Old Jun 15th 2008, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

....yes I agree more in your own pocket the better!
Old Jun 15th 2008, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

markhighpeak is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I work for Carillion and will be meeting them this week in Dubai and from what I've read on here about accommodation, then if they can provide what I want then I'll be over the moon.

I have heard that due to rents going up so fast and so often, then it is hard for a company like Carillion to react immediately.................but if they want the people to come out and work then somewhere along the line they'll have to dig deep into them very large pockets
Old Jun 15th 2008, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Germany as a bricklayer in my 20's
Neville, is that you?
Old Jun 15th 2008, 8:15 pm
Just Joined

SkyBlueBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

I went through Hill Mcgynn and got accepted for a job with al habtoor leighton within 3 weeks of getting in touch. I start in 2 weeks. Nothin but praise for Hill Mcgynn.

Last edited by SkyBlueBoy; Jun 15th 2008 at 8:19 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 10:35 am
Just Joined

Bella83 is an unknown quantity at this point

My fiance got his job through Hill McGlynn also - they were excellent. He had two offers within 3 weeks of our decision to move out here from the UK.

Also had interest from recruitment agents at MacDonald & Company.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.