Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Can't afford Abu Dhabi...

Can't afford Abu Dhabi...

Old Jun 5th 2012, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can't afford Abu Dhabi...

I am sure this is the third aircraft engineer coming out to the UAE on a shite deal recently

I always thought an aircraft engineer must be jolly clever, well rewarded and a bit more important than say a civil engineer given that things failing at 20,000 ft is a bit more dramatic than a road sinking. No disrespect to civil engineers by the way.

Guess I was wrong again. I shall add aircraft engineer to the list of jobs not suitable for my young boys when they grow up

Current list is a bit on the thin side

Colonialist
Empire builder

Perhaps they think the OP engineer is a TCN ?
Old Jun 5th 2012, 10:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
I am sure this is the third aircraft engineer coming out to the UAE on a shite deal recently

I always thought an aircraft engineer must be jolly clever, well rewarded and a bit more important than say a civil engineer given that things failing at 20,000 ft is a bit more dramatic than a road sinking. No disrespect to civil engineers by the way.

Guess I was wrong again. I shall add aircraft engineer to the list of jobs not suitable for my young boys when they grow up

Colonialist
Empire builder

Another unsuitable career would be the diplomatic service.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 12:11 pm
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting about Emirati receptionists. The general local corporate admin staff in my first job had starting 45,000 dhs a month. All had to have "manager" tacked onto their real job title. My mate was the only non local in the corporate office and could speak Arabic (which they didn't all know.) Her admin assistant-manager (her unqualified, pretty useless assistant*) used to happily discuss her 50,000 a month abaya habit...

Anyway, I thought the OP had four kid's. Hmmmm. It's doable, actually. Latterly I was in a nice apartment on the palm shoreline (pre clubhouse shenanigans) which was 90,000 in four cheques. But my kid's were happy to share... I did a basic needs budget and had it at about 28000/29000 per month. But that wasn't including the giant whack to pay for utilities deposits (gas and Dewa) and the agent fee/deposit etc.

Petrol costs and car service costs are not to be sneered at when you do that mad commute.

On that salary I would look at it as an adventure rather than a money making exercise. nothing wrong with with having an experience, but don't expect to be minted and "living the dream." if you managed to source a decent apartment in a nice building with swimming pool etc and easily walkable amenities for your family you could be ok. If you lived in the greens you could even walk to school if it is Regent, meaning one less car.

*her assistant admitted to not opening emails for over a month because too many people were hassling her. My friend also once investigated the girl's desk drawer, only to find it stuffed full of unopened invoices. I NEVER saw either the PRO, the health insurance woman or the head of hospitality in eight months. And I was actually stalking the health insurance woman... They earned that 45,000/50,000 a month!
Old Jun 5th 2012, 12:23 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tockalosh

Colonialist
Empire builder

Surely an aircraft engineer is limited by the amount of passengers in how much damage he can do?
One of my shoddy creations, poorly built, designed and managed with maybe 60 floors could easily wipe out thousands.
You underestimate us sir.

I am doing well importing Columbian marching powder, if its riches you are after for your boys, but the competition in the market is literally cut-throat

Last edited by weasel decentral; Jun 5th 2012 at 12:26 pm.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 2:54 pm
Banned

Jamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the rough

My my, hasn’t this become a start studded post. Thanks for all the feedback. It is certainly appreciated. So from what I gather, you are all basically saying that this is a suicidal package, or at best, barely doable. I get it. So here is the question then: If 35K a month is borderline, how do I negotiate then? You are all tested pros and surely you know a few things I can bring to the table. I can’t simply tell them that I know that people in the early 2000’s made twice what you are offering me now, or that you are offering me what you pay to your receptionists, can I? How do I take the argument to them then? Do I mention tuition for the little ones, knowing that if they can find a single guy for less they wouldn’t hesitate to take him instead? What kind of ammunition you advice I bring?
Old Jun 5th 2012, 2:57 pm
Banned

Jamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Bluelionesse
Have you considered living in Al Ain and commuting - many people do. You will get a nice villa for 80K per year (have a look at alainexpat dot com) and schools and utilities are cheaper.

We pay 2.2AED per cubic metre for water, and maximum 500aed for electric in the summer, for a 3 bed villa - and we are paying less than 80k for our rent.

Check out the "living in al ain" thread on this forum - but use the "search thread" facility or you will still be reading it at the end of the month!
Yes I have, can't find any accommodations on dubizzle for that area. Do you know any other websites?
Old Jun 5th 2012, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jamworld
Yes I have, can't find any accommodations on dubizzle for that area. Do you know any other websites?
Mate, things will be bad enough already on that package without living in Al Ain.....
Old Jun 5th 2012, 3:08 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by lullabelle
Interesting about Emirati receptionists. The general local corporate admin staff in my first job had starting 45,000 dhs a month. All had to have "manager" tacked onto their real job title. My mate was the only non local in the corporate office and could speak Arabic (which they didn't all know.) Her admin assistant-manager (her unqualified, pretty useless assistant*) used to happily discuss her 50,000 a month abaya habit...

Anyway, I thought the OP had four kid's. Hmmmm. It's doable, actually. Latterly I was in a nice apartment on the palm shoreline (pre clubhouse shenanigans) which was 90,000 in four cheques. But my kid's were happy to share... I did a basic needs budget and had it at about 28000/29000 per month. But that wasn't including the giant whack to pay for utilities deposits (gas and Dewa) and the agent fee/deposit etc.

Petrol costs and car service costs are not to be sneered at when you do that mad commute.

On that salary I would look at it as an adventure rather than a money making exercise. nothing wrong with with having an experience, but don't expect to be minted and "living the dream." if you managed to source a decent apartment in a nice building with swimming pool etc and easily walkable amenities for your family you could be ok. If you lived in the greens you could even walk to school if it is Regent, meaning one less car.

*her assistant admitted to not opening emails for over a month because too many people were hassling her. My friend also once investigated the girl's desk drawer, only to find it stuffed full of unopened invoices. I NEVER saw either the PRO, the health insurance woman or the head of hospitality in eight months. And I was actually stalking the health insurance woman... They earned that 45,000/50,000 a month!

Thanks for throwing out some numbers, it sure puts things into perspective. It's amazing how much they pay people that don't actually do much. So, Lullabelle, do I scorn the offer because receptionists make more than I do, or do I take it if it is way more than I make now; I will save more than I do now, and I will get some experience that can land me a future Middle East position with a much better package? Thoughts?
Old Jun 5th 2012, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs
Mate, things will be bad enough already on that package without living in Al Ain.....
I agree - unless you're working for the Mubadala aerospace company that actually is in Al Ain. If you're working in head-office, then you're looking at a 1 1/2 hour commute each way...
Old Jun 5th 2012, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Do I mention tuition for the little ones, knowing that if they can find a single guy for less they wouldn’t hesitate to take him instead?
Longevity. If you get a familyman with kids settled they would be likely to stay in the role longer than a singleton.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 3:16 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs
I hear you Ronnie, your words do not fall on deaf ears. I spoke to the hiring manager yesterday. He said he will talk to his assistant. I told him I need an extra 36K pa minimum. Let's see how it goes. By the way, I don't know if this will cause you to look at this in a new light now, but I'm not even thirty yet. But I guess a crappy package is a crappy package. Any specific tips you can offer regarding negotiating?
Old Jun 5th 2012, 3:27 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by saudiflares
Longevity. If you get a familyman with kids settled they would be likely to stay in the role longer than a singleton.
Ah, nice one. I like that. That's the kinda stuff I'm looking for. Good one mate.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 3:28 pm
Banned

[QUOTE=csdf;10101378]I agree - unless you're working for the Mubadala aerospace company that actually is in Al Ain. If you're working in head-office, then you're looking at a 1 1/2 hour commute each way...[/

I heard that the actual facility is 3 years or more away and should be in Al Ain. Currently they are sharing space at the Abu Dhabi airport.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, nice one. I like that. That's the kinda stuff I'm looking for. Good one mate.
Did you ask if the bonus had been paid this year?
Old Jun 5th 2012, 3:30 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by al dente
Did you ask if the bonus had been paid this year?
Not yet, but I plan on asking. That's a good point as well, al dente.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.