Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

To Buy or not to Buy ?...tired of renting !

To Buy or not to Buy ?...tired of renting !

Old Jun 13th 2013, 7:28 am
Just Joined

kristianking is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: To Buy or not to Buy ?...tired of renting !

i strongly suggest, don't buy, although the value of such assets goes up but its very hard to sell those asset when you decided to return to your native country. Most buyers will cut the total price as low as 50%.

have your husband demand for an increase housing allowance, and if you're working also you can also ask the same too.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 4:31 pm
When in doubt, mumble.

Poshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud of

My Husband isnt the demanding type Kristian and his package is already a lottery win to us compared to what he was on in the Uk, I don't have a job here that pays a wage ;-)

The issue isnt with the amount of housing allowance.

You say most buyers cut the total price as low as 50% ?, what is that statistic based on ?...and if that's the case we should get a bargain as a potential buyer ? ;-)
Old Jun 14th 2013, 4:55 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poshy
I don't get what you mean by a compound then ?

thought there was a joke in there somewhere about wanting security as in like a security gate

ill get my coat >>>
you don't know what a compound is? seriously?
Old Jun 14th 2013, 7:02 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Might be a bit thick, but if you buy and use your housing allowance to service the mortgage then as long as you sell the house for more than your deposit you've made money? Effectively, capitalising from your allowance?
Old Jun 14th 2013, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

AppleMac is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by al dente
Might be a bit thick, but if you buy and use your housing allowance to service the mortgage then as long as you sell the house for more than your deposit you've made money? Effectively, capitalising from your allowance?
That only works if you have actually paid off the mortgage. In that case it doesn't matter whether the property sells for half of what you paid for it, as long as it is more than the original deposit you put down you are quids in.

If you can afford to buy with cash it is an even better deal.
Old Jun 14th 2013, 11:53 am
When in doubt, mumble.

Poshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
you don't know what a compound is? seriously?
No I didn't but took my youngest on a play date yesterday to a house in a compound and asked a little about the Villas there but don't know that much about them, how many there are ect....am I supposed to know everything ?
Old Jun 14th 2013, 11:56 am
When in doubt, mumble.

Originally Posted by AppleMac
That only works if you have actually paid off the mortgage. In that case it doesn't matter whether the property sells for half of what you paid for it, as long as it is more than the original deposit you put down you are quids in.

If you can afford to buy with cash it is an even better deal.

This is our line of thought exactly.

if you look at it glass half full, then it IS getting the rent allowance working for us.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 5:26 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

No I didn't but took my youngest on a play date yesterday to a house in a compound and asked a little about the Villas there but don't know that much about them, how many there are ect....am I supposed to know everything ?
yes basically if you are living on a compound (sizes vary) there is no chance of getting the eviction letter.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 8:59 am
When in doubt, mumble.

Lol Bc, youre a cheeky madam

Tell you what, as you're ACE at stuff like this, next Jan ill come and find you and you can find us the perfect long term rental Villa, how does that sound ?

Thats if we havnt bought one before then
Old Jun 16th 2013, 9:07 am
Concierge

Lol Bc, youre a cheeky madam

Tell you what, as you're ACE at stuff like this, next Jan ill come and find you and you can find us the perfect long term rental Villa, how does that sound ?

Thats if we havnt bought one before then
deal
Old Jun 16th 2013, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

elk1973 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
Have you seen any 15 year old properties here? 30 year old properties? stuff don't last long out here....

big assumption.

personally speaking, and I'm sure others will have wildly differing views, I would never buy property in the GCC, South America, Africa, or India/Pakistan - the political system is far too unstable for my liking. "Oops we decided to change the rules, and you can't sell to expats only locals who oh dear me what a shame can't afford that price better drop the asking price" or worse.....
That's a bit unfair, if you go to other towns like Sharjah you will see older properties, also in Bur Dubai. Arabian Ranches are pretty good builds. Silicon Oasis would worry because of the water.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 9:50 am
When in doubt, mumble.

Originally Posted by elk1973
Silicon Oasis would worry because of the water.

What do you mean ? x
Old Jun 16th 2013, 10:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

What do you mean ? x
It's not very wet...
Old Jun 16th 2013, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
It's not very wet...
Or Oasis like. And it looks/feels like the kind of dirge living that on a bad day would make you want to top yourself at the "WTF AM I DOING HERE????" ness of it all.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 11:19 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs
Or Oasis like. And it looks/feels like the kind of dirge living that on a bad day would make you want to top yourself at the "WTF AM I DOING HERE????" ness of it all.
My mrs lived there for the first year of her job. Fortunately I had a place that was actually in Dubai to make life pleasant.

It's not bad and it's perfectly do-able but as you say....I'd go out of my mind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.