Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

To Buy or not to Buy ?...tired of renting !

To Buy or not to Buy ?...tired of renting !

Old Jun 11th 2013, 5:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: To Buy or not to Buy ?...tired of renting !

Originally Posted by mentalist
For what it's worth, there are plenty of structures still standing in Dubai after 30 years, my villa being one of them!
Bearing in mind that the country is only 41 years old...I don't expect to see much high rise over 20 years...
Old Jun 11th 2013, 6:01 am
When in doubt, mumble.

Poshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud of

You all have valid points thank you.

Not bothered about investment, just somewhere to live that we wont be getting thrown out of and have to move time after time, want to settle and have the satisfaction of any improvements to the property actually being for US and not the next tennant.

Im bloody fed up, have to leave this Villa next March and I know its ages off but im twitchy knowing we have to move again, last 2 moves were our choices but we really thought we had found a long term home with this one and spent money improving the pool, just fed up
Old Jun 11th 2013, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mentalist
For what it's worth, there are plenty of structures still standing in Dubai after 30 years, my villa being one of them!
you miserable old ... wait that's quite a positive comment
Old Jun 11th 2013, 6:04 am
When in doubt, mumble.

Poshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
If you can afford to lose your investment, obviously worse case scenario then go for it. You just don't know what is round the corner and there is no stability here, what happens if the breadwinner is no longer around?

I hear you Blue Cat but I don't intend to live my live scared of what will happen if the Alpha Male snuffs it, he's well insured !
Old Jun 11th 2013, 6:10 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poshy

Not bothered about investment, just somewhere to live that we wont be getting thrown out of and have to move time after time, want to settle and have the satisfaction of any improvements to the property actually being for US and not the next tennant.

Im bloody fed up, have to leave this Villa next March and I know its ages off but im twitchy knowing we have to move again, last 2 moves were our choices but we really thought we had found a long term home with this one and spent money improving the pool, just fed up
move into a compound then, you get security that way
Old Jun 11th 2013, 6:16 am
When in doubt, mumble.

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
move into a compound then, you get security that way

hahahahahahahaha !
Old Jun 11th 2013, 6:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

just the way it works here, sometimes you are lucky most times you are not. we have found a good landlord, we are paying over the market value as the prices have come down, but he is good so as it will cost lots to move plus the hassle (which there is enough of at the mo anyways) we are staying put for now. we have moved 7 times i think over 16 years.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saudiflares
you miserable old ... wait that's quite a positive comment
We should get it framed...

Mentalist - are you off your shed today?
Old Jun 11th 2013, 2:29 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

hahahahahahahaha !
what's so funny? you can't get evicted from a compound?
Old Jun 11th 2013, 4:47 pm
When in doubt, mumble.

I don't get what you mean by a compound then ?

thought there was a joke in there somewhere about wanting security as in like a security gate

ill get my coat >>>
Old Jun 12th 2013, 4:04 am
Forum Regular

AppleMac is an unknown quantity at this point

I would say that it depend a lot on how your accommodation allowance is structured. If the company gives you a set amount to do with as you wish then buying can be a good move. I know many who have bought and they are perfectly happy with their decision - they can decorate and change the property to what they choose, they dont have the hassle each year of renegotiating the rent etc or looking for a new place. If you get a fixed accommodation allowance from the company and can use that to pay off a mortgage then over time it does make good financial sense, you end up effectively giving your salary a significant increase. The stories about build quality are a bit overblown in my experience, yes some build quality is dire - but in developed markets like the UK you get a lot of new-builds that are very badly put together.

That being said, I also know people who are quite happy moving each year for the change of scenery..
Old Jun 12th 2013, 7:00 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Or buy a boat and live on that. I have a friend in AD who has a relatively modest boat, moored (berthed?) somewhere in AD, and has been living on it for years. He does look a bit like Captain Birdseye at times, though.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 8:57 am
When in doubt, mumble.

yep applemac, he is given a set amount each month to do as he wishes with.

We have 3 dogs and 2 children Bahtatboy, a boat would not be a good choice for us x

We have had one agent ring us that has houses available and arranges Mortgages, wanting 30% deposit though, that would take ALL of our current savings, not willing to do that, would be after a 90% Mortgage for 15 years, Alpha Male onto it !
Old Jun 12th 2013, 9:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

yep applemac, he is given a set amount each month to do as he wishes with.

We have 3 dogs and 2 children Bahtatboy, a boat would not be a good choice for us x

We have had one agent ring us that has houses available and arranges Mortgages, wanting 30% deposit though, that would take ALL of our current savings, not willing to do that, would be after a 90% Mortgage for 15 years, Alpha Male onto it !
I'd be surprised if an expat can get a 90% loan.

Have you looked at the costs? service charges and interest/repayment. it'll be high!
Old Jun 12th 2013, 4:55 pm
When in doubt, mumble.

Not yet Millhouse, just ploughing through it all x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.