Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Anyone like Doha??

Anyone like Doha??

Old Jun 23rd 2012, 7:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone like Doha??

durham boy- 6 days I was bloody stuck there ill have you know! 6 days of my life lost
Old Jun 24th 2012, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
durham boy- 6 days I was bloody stuck there ill have you know! 6 days of my life lost
Ive spent longer on the shithouse after a night out
Old Jun 24th 2012, 9:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

id see a doctor about that if i were you durham!
Old Jun 24th 2012, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

Qatar has successfully taken the best 2 star expertise from Beirut and Cairo and mixed it with 1 star expertise from Mumbai, thrown on top unlimited Bangladeshi and Pakistani technical perfection with a good smattering of Filipino technology, to give a truly remarkable 5 star international experience.

The level of indigenous incompetence is inversely proportional to the level of arrogance and the ability to do donuts, which is in fact their main reason for existence. It is a nation of confidence and future optimism built on a near 100% record of past failure.

If your aspiration is failure, you can afford QR 500/night for drink and food and you don't give a damn whether or not you get kicked out then it is an OK posting.

PS If you have family do not live more than one floor above ground level: there is not one safe piece of electrical installation anywhere in the country.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 1:14 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Am I the only one who sticks up for Doha?! I see no difference in the incompetence levels here to what I saw in Dubai and AD. I think there is more to do here than Abu Dhabi and the people are friendlier. I have my mum here this week and so far she has been shopping followed by a night time booze cruise (Dhow trip), A day at a beach/pool lunch and then a 50th Birthday party a night at the Embassy where is there nothing to do? I have a trip to the desert planned, the inland sea (Probably not the best idea this time of year), Katara, Museum of Islamic art (I will probably not enjoy that), the Souks and Zoo. Mixed in amongst all that some good places to eat and drink and she has had a great 2 week holiday and busy........

Sure it costs a bit but less than dubai and its attractions?

I wouldn't leave this place to go back to the UAE for 10 Bonking Bex's and a lifetime of free wine.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
Am I the only one who sticks up for Doha?! I see no difference in the incompetence levels here to what I saw in Dubai and AD. I think there is more to do here than Abu Dhabi and the people are friendlier. I have my mum here this week and so far she has been shopping followed by a night time booze cruise (Dhow trip), A day at a beach/pool lunch and then a 50th Birthday party a night at the Embassy where is there nothing to do? I have a trip to the desert planned, the inland sea (Probably not the best idea this time of year), Katara, Museum of Islamic art (I will probably not enjoy that), the Souks and Zoo. Mixed in amongst all that some good places to eat and drink and she has had a great 2 week holiday and busy........

Sure it costs a bit but less than dubai and its attractions?

I wouldn't leave this place to go back to the UAE for 10 Bonking Bex's and a lifetime of free wine.
She must be a good rub out , you've got it bad mate
Old Jun 24th 2012, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by gottheTshirt
Qatar has successfully taken the best 2 star expertise from Beirut and Cairo and mixed it with 1 star expertise from Mumbai, thrown on top unlimited Bangladeshi and Pakistani technical perfection with a good smattering of Filipino technology, to give a truly remarkable 5 star international experience.

The level of indigenous incompetence is inversely proportional to the level of arrogance and the ability to do donuts, which is in fact their main reason for existence. It is a nation of confidence and future optimism built on a near 100% record of past failure.

If your aspiration is failure, you can afford QR 500/night for drink and food and you don't give a damn whether or not you get kicked out then it is an OK posting.

PS If you have family do not live more than one floor above ground level: there is not one safe piece of electrical installation anywhere in the country.
Everything you need to know about this heinous khazi !
Old Jun 24th 2012, 1:19 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
She must be a good rub out , you've got it bad mate
I didn't even mention that part mate
Old Jun 24th 2012, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by britexpat76
I didn't even mention that part mate
I can just see you hand in hand in the Museum Of Islamic Art whispering sweet nothings whilst gazing into a 13th century dagger !
Old Jun 24th 2012, 1:24 pm
Shark Fisherman

Originally Posted by co durham boy
I can just see you hand in hand in the Museum Of Islamic Art whispering sweet nothings whilst gazing into a 13th century dagger !
Doubtful with my mum mate! The lady friend returns sunday.......
Old Jun 24th 2012, 2:29 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Things I like about Doha, 2 years in:

Booming economy with mega infrastructure plans
Insane growth 20% GDP p.a.
Decent work opportunities in construction
Technical capability is highly valued
Minimal HR bloat/ MBA types bouncing around
Safe and secure
Everyone works, no welfare scroungers
Totally tax-free
Cheap petrol (almost free)
Short commute to work
Decent work-life balance
Good International airport, with an easy hop to great holiday destinations
Guaranteed sunshine and gorgeous weather for 6 months of the year
The Corniche
Nice, cheap places to eat out, and generally good food
Good on the CV, everyone knows of Qatar and the World Cup 2022 plans.

I'll leave it at that for now.

[J]

Last edited by Johnnyboy11; Jun 24th 2012 at 2:34 pm.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 3:32 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Things I don't like about Doha, 2 years in:

Insane cost of accommodation
High school fees and lack of availability
Shabby buildings and infrastructure standards, including most new-build
Q-Tel monopoly, in particular patchy ADSL/ Mosaic coverage and slow speeds
Poor sanitation in many parts of the city
Driving standards on the roads and poor road safety, particularly Landcruiser drivers
Constant insecurity at work, a national sport for Qataris
Dust, heat and humidity
Blatant racism on the part of a small section of the indigenous community, particularly 'Racism Day' every Friday
The Sponsorship system, particularly exit permits
Disregard for basic Health & Safety and common sense
Treatment of Indian / Nepalese labourers and the labour camp issue
Driving in the 'Industrial Area'
Immigration process, in particular the various blood tests and x-rays and having your fingerprints and photograph taken
The randomness of Government policies and procedures, compounded by employees that don't know what they are doing from one day to the next
Qatari kids left to run amok in public (and in moving vehicles)

Feels better getting that lot off my chest.

[J]
Old Jun 24th 2012, 3:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11
Things I don't like about Doha, 2 years in:

Insane cost of accommodation
High school fees and lack of availability
Shabby buildings and infrastructure standards, including most new-build
Q-Tel monopoly, in particular patchy ADSL/ Mosaic coverage and slow speeds
Poor sanitation in many parts of the city
Driving standards on the roads and poor road safety, particularly Landcruiser drivers
Constant insecurity at work, a national sport for Qataris
Dust, heat and humidity
Blatant racism on the part of a small section of the indigenous community, particularly 'Racism Day' every Friday
The Sponsorship system, particularly exit permits
Disregard for basic Health & Safety and common sense
Treatment of Indian / Nepalese labourers and the labour camp issue
Driving in the 'Industrial Area'
Immigration process, in particular the various blood tests and x-rays and having your fingerprints and photograph taken
The randomness of Government policies and procedures, compounded by employees that don't know what they are doing from one day to the next
Qatari kids left to run amok in public (and in moving vehicles)

Feels better getting that lot off my chest.

[J]
That resembles the Doha I know far better than your other post.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 3:59 pm
Banned

Amar655 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good post.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 6:50 pm
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute

I'd just like to point out that for *some* professions, having experience in the middle east on your cv is not a good thing. It might be all right for you boys and girls in construction, but for me I might as well write "did **** all, ate donuts." Not that I did **** all, but the standards are so low I may as well have.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.