Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Am I bonkers to be even THINKING about this...?

Am I bonkers to be even THINKING about this...?

Old Apr 9th 2010, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I bonkers to be even THINKING about this...?

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
There is nothing on Yas. nothing

request to stay in the Hilton Corniche, it's a good starting spot.
While we're complimenting the decent posters on here can I add that Mr Millhouse has this one nailed - you'll see the best of what Abu Dhabi has to offer from the Hilton. Everything good is within ten minutes of this spot and it won't cost your company a whole lot more.....

Good luck - please be sure to follow up, I'm intrigued to know how you get on.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 9:26 pm
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that SYB's was inspired. It certainly made me look at things differently. The camping bit has never left me. I can just see me, the hub, the kids and the achingly trendy bell tent out under the stars...

And yes, I'll keep you posted, probably from the free wifi area in me hotel on Yas.

The yas island hotel has me bothered. It strikes me as so unbusinesslike. And a bit cheap? Am I right?

Ah well, it will either be me and the bell tent in AD or me and the bell tent on the Ile de Re and the Loire. Either way it's all good. Although I wouldn't be actually LIVING on the Ile de Re... just there for an already paid for holiday which I will naturally not be going on if I start work in AD in July. Ah well, you win some, you lose some, you...
Old Apr 9th 2010, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lullabelle
I agree that SYB's was inspired. It certainly made me look at things differently. The camping bit has never left me. I can just see me, the hub, the kids and the achingly trendy bell tent out under the stars...

And yes, I'll keep you posted, probably from the free wifi area in me hotel on Yas.

The yas island hotel has me bothered. It strikes me as so unbusinesslike. And a bit cheap? Am I right?
It depends whereabouts in Abu Dhabi your prospective company are based, the difference in price won't be significant given the sums that are involved longer-term. Plus, in the Middle East, never underestimate the power of the **** up - your hotel arrangements have probably been handed over to someone who has just not thought this through at all (which is the norm actually.) I would flag it and see if you can change it, otherwise instead of seeing Abu Dhabi or Dubai you'll be seeing somewhere (i.e. nowhere) inbetween.....
Old Apr 10th 2010, 3:48 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Lullu darling,

Glad to see that things are working out for your move (other than the hotel bit, but AD is very proud of its new Yas island the the architecture is something worth seeing. If you like the 70s style, Yas can't be missed).

One thing I want to throw in is that the school fees are on the low side. 30K aed per kid isn't going to cover the fees. Here's the fees for Emirates International School which is about average for a good school in Dubai:

Grade AED

KG 1 22,050/-
KG 2 28,940/-
1 28,940/-
2 34,455/-
3 34,455/-
4 38,590/-
5 38,590/-
6 38,590/-
7 45,480/-
8 45,480/-
9 45,480/-
10 52,370/-
11 52,370/-
12 61,330/-
13 65,400/-

JESS, Kings Dubai, Repton etc are all even more expensive.

So while 30K may be ok for the very early years as the kids age the fees increase exponentially. Make sure your company's fee policy will increase the school fee allowance as your kid ages.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Lullu darling,

Glad to see that things are working out for your move (other than the hotel bit, but AD is very proud of its new Yas island the the architecture is something worth seeing. If you like the 70s style, Yas can't be missed).

One thing I want to throw in is that the school fees are on the low side. 30K aed per kid isn't going to cover the fees. Here's the fees for Emirates International School which is about average for a good school in Dubai:

Grade AED

KG 1 22,050/-
KG 2 28,940/-
1 28,940/-
2 34,455/-
3 34,455/-
4 38,590/-
5 38,590/-
6 38,590/-
7 45,480/-
8 45,480/-
9 45,480/-
10 52,370/-
11 52,370/-
12 61,330/-
13 65,400/-

JESS, Kings Dubai, Repton etc are all even more expensive.

So while 30K may be ok for the very early years as the kids age the fees increase exponentially. Make sure your company's fee policy will increase the school fee allowance as your kid ages.
are these fees per year or term?? I have no idea cos, thank god, I don't have children!
Old Apr 10th 2010, 9:35 pm
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute

I'm lovin the "Lulu" Ethos! That's my nom de plume at work although it's spelled Loulou in my case (there was another Louise and she was shite. Didn't want my work to be confused with her tepid, lacklustre, pedestrian efforts. Ooooh get me)

and Patsy, I have haemorraged money ever since my kids were born. Every time a colleague is pregnant I enjoy the look on her face when I reveal that childcare monthly payments could buy me two luxury cars.

I also blame my kids for my nightly wine habit. Another bloody expense, albeit a rather enjoyable one.

Thanks for all this info, I foresee hilarious negotiations ahead.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

I also blame my kids for my nightly wine habit. Another bloody expense, albeit a rather enjoyable one.
Ah!! Now what is my excuse!!!!

Apparently ..insanity is hereditary..you get it from your kids!!!
Old Apr 30th 2010, 7:12 am
Perky but sarky

Good evening to all

Well, I visited Abu Dhabi earlier this week. The reason for Yas was that it's where all the current production staff are staying until they decide where to really live! Plus the office is in Al Raha area so handy I guess.

I really liked it - had a city tour, a few production meetings and a couple of lovely meals out with the crew. I wasn't wined and dined or being showed off to - everyone was nice and down to earth.

I even had an introduction to "being patient in the middle east" -
Get to reception of production office
Tell receptionist I'm here
Hilarious five minutes while she tries to get the name of one of the bosses right
She goes off and comes back
I sit there for half an hour
I quiz her to make sure they know I'm there
She says yes
I sit there for another half hour
I read two magazines
Eventually the head of production asks reception if they have seen me
Eventually the head of production realises that the receptionist has left me sitting there for over an hour. Tries to explain why that is WRONG.
Receptionist smiles and goes back to being inefficient.
We laugh about it on several occasions...

We're currently in negotiations over the package. It looks like we are actually coming... Yes indeedy.

Now comes the hell of finding a bleeding school with a british curriculum and PLACES. They're all full. Or are they "full" but will magically have places just as I lose the will to live? What do you do? Educate them at home? I'm sure my hubby-to-be will be THRILLED (nice hasty wedding booked for 13th may. Nothing sorted for it...)

And where in the heck do you buy wine out there? It seems soooooo wrong. A huge carrefour and no bloody sparkling saumur. Can you import crates of vino in your container?
Old Apr 30th 2010, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

skyrunner is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fasman
Re the tax issue. You shouldn't be taxed by the UK if you work in Dubai or AD, as it is based on place of residence and where the work is performed not on source of income.
i think i agree with you..
Old Apr 30th 2010, 5:57 pm
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skyrunner
i think i agree with you..
blx
Old May 1st 2010, 6:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

with young children i think your only option will be bisad, i would look there as the other schools are all full with big waiting lists.
Old May 4th 2010, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

And where in the heck do you buy wine out there? It seems soooooo wrong. A huge carrefour and no bloody sparkling saumur. Can you import crates of vino in your container?
Hi lullabelle, you have to get a liquor licence and then can buy from African and Eastern or Spinneys, you will be given a pre-set limit that depends on your salary!
Old May 4th 2010, 2:03 pm
Perky but sarky

A PRE SET LIMIT!!!!!!!!!

BASED ON MY SALARY?????

Jeez.

Better get a bloody good pay packet then...
Old May 4th 2010, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

A PRE SET LIMIT!!!!!!!!!

BASED ON MY SALARY?????

Jeez.

dont worry there are ways around everything here, you"ll be fine and congrats, so are the drinks on you then? As for schools, this place is very transient, people come and go and school places become available at the last mo.

Last edited by Grace O Malley; May 4th 2010 at 2:45 pm.
Old May 4th 2010, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

A PRE SET LIMIT!!!!!!!!!

BASED ON MY SALARY?????

Jeez.

Its been a while but I lived there for many years (in fact had to be dragged out, kicking and screaming!) and do not remember a time when we found we didnt have enough to knock us out on a regular basis! Plus you can pick up a few bottles at the duty free on arrival.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.