Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Am I bonkers to be even THINKING about this...?

Am I bonkers to be even THINKING about this...?

Old Feb 23rd 2010, 10:03 am
Just Joined

fasman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Am I bonkers to be even THINKING about this...?

Yup! ctfc is right.....and I will increase the dosage immediately.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

Arcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond repute

Schooling in Abu Dhabi for two children would cost you around 50,000 Dhs per child a year.

Housing will cost 180,000Dhs at the least for family accomadation.

Then there is the cost of buying a car, furniture etc.

We would really need to know if you will get all of these in a ''package''

Also, if you do get married are you sure that you can sponsor your husband as I thought thier was only certain jobs in which a female could do this..ie Teacher, Doctor etc.

As for travelling, the most time you will spend in your car will be 40 mins, and that's with half the roads being dug up, Abu Dhabi driving is not so bad, just as long as you steer clear of the congested areas.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 2:24 pm
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute

Wow

Many more responses than I was expecting AND MOST OF THEM POSITIVE!

I'll try to answer some queries. You wanna know about the money? I WANNA KNOW ABOUT THE MONEY. I have no idea about the package at the moment although I have been quoted that the renumeration packages are extremely attractive, very negotiable, big company benefits including repatriation allowance, school fees, medical and bonuses. So... could be a pile of poo, could be good. Time will tell. No mention of housing which seems to be the most expensive issue. I'm aware that this is unusual in the media, certainly school fees weren't included in my brother's package but he was given some housing allowance. I'm planning on hard negotiation.

I'm trying to get a feel BEFORE we get to negotiating as I don't want to have a scenario where I'm worse off: and not just financially... We don't live a fancy pants life here and I'm not hankering after a fancy pants life in another country. But I would like to live comfortably and to have the same or better standard of living: certainly if I'm working more days/hours etc I'd like to see the benefits of that in some way. Also, I'd like to feel the upheaval and effort of moving was all worth it and didn't ruin my family life.

I don't mind marrying my other half - we're only not married cos I could always think of more exciting things to spend the money on (I would feel compelled to have some sort of celebration, otherwise it's just a document) and he's Mr cheap as chips whose wallet has to be pried from his scroogy little fingertips. The kids are his - in fact I gave up on a job in Dubai many years ago because I met him only a few weeks before I left the country. I deferred the move and the rest is... well the rest is two kids and the usual domestic bliss. Ha ha.

I'm concerned that my other half would struggle to find work (not necessarily interesting work cos he's pretty bored at the moment). And if he does find work, what do I do with the kids as I'm not a maid/housekeeper type of person... do childminders exist?

The thing is - what you've all made me realise - I think I WOULD regret this in the future. But If more of you had turned round and said "too hot, too expensive, too beurocratic, too deserty..." I would have taken it on board.

Finally, I rather liked some of the places to live in Dubai. Those family friendly areas with pools and greenery and playgrounds. Do they exist in Abu Dhabi? I veer back and forward over the commute thing. There's something to be said for living close to work and when I was single I used to have a rule that if I couldn't walk to and from work then home was too far away! Now I'm miles away!

I'm feeling less bonkers now.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 2:27 pm
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute

I read "why the long face."

You saying I look like a horse?
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 2:32 pm
Perky but sarky

AND ANOTHER THING...

What do you mean buy furniture?

Don't you all just bring your own furniture? It took me AGES to get the right mix of retro chic/modernist flash. Ok, it may all look wrong in a desert(ed) setting but where am I gonnna find a seventies table in Abu Dhabi?

Old Feb 23rd 2010, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

Arcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lullabelle.

We didnt bring our furniture, We got an allowance from the company so we just bought all new here, of course you can bring over all your stuff, we had the option, but to be honest it was ''make do'' stuff anyway.

School fees would be a BIG bonus..so push for them, and if your talking of compound living..shared pool etc..I would push for 200,000-250,000 Housing allowance.
plus medical,annual flights.

BTW..If it's seventies furniture your into..most of the little back street shops are still selling original seventies stuff, and if you ever have a seventies style house warming party Most Coop's here sell seventies style clothes too.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 4:00 pm
Is not impressed...

Aikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really nice

Originally Posted by lullabelle

Finally, I rather liked some of the places to live in Dubai. Those family friendly areas with pools and greenery and playgrounds. Do they exist in Abu Dhabi? I veer back and forward over the commute thing. There's something to be said for living close to work and when I was single I used to have a rule that if I couldn't walk to and from work then home was too far away! Now I'm miles away!

I'm feeling less bonkers now.
No, they don't exist, sorry. That's exactly why I live in Dubai and drive an hour each way. I'm sooooo glad we decided not to live in AD, the drive is worth it for the conveniences that simply do not exist in AD. More schooling options as well.

If it has to be AD you need a minimum of 230k housing allowance to live anywhere near what can be had in Dubai for 100 +.

Glad this BE thing is working out for you.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 4:12 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a few pointers:

1. You must get married. Your children will NOT receive residency visas if you and your partner are not married. Without the residency visas they will not be able to enrol in any schools in the UAE or even in a health care scheme.

Just go get married. It's only about nipping down to the registrar's office and signing a bit of paper and going to the pub afterwards. No need to have a big fancy wedding, which are vastly overrated in my view. When I tie the knot it's going to be a small group of family and friends, a quick service in a country church, and decent grub at a gastropub afterwards.

2. Maids/help is cheap out here. The initial set up cost is a bit high but once you have paid the sponsorship fees then the average monthly maid salary is 1500 AED for a full time live in.

3. Dubai is more 'fun' than Abu Dhabi. Better beaches, better malls, better restaurants and bars, a more diverse and international expat scene, more schooling options, more living options.

4. Plenty of people commute daily to AD from Dubai. If you are ok with the 1.5 hour commute into/from London then the Dubai-AD commute isn't a problem. Look into living in a big flat in the Dubai Marina or in a villa in the Meadows/Springs as those are on the southern outskirts of Dubai. Rents run from 135-200,000 AED per year for a three bed+maid's flat or villa depending on the location, although prices are still slowly declining. Please see what kind of assistance the company will provide in terms of rental payment, a single cheque for the year puts you in the best position.

5. Most expats in the UAE are consultants one way or another. There are a few government position open to expats. AD's planning office is mostly staffed by expats. Your husband will find something if he looks long and hard and is flexible about the job he's willing to do.

6. Most people's interior decor is a couple pieces of heavy quasi Indian/Indonesian teak furniture with a couple throw rugs or Persian tribal rugs on the floor. Ship your furniture out here even if it may be from the worst decade in human history.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 2:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lullabelle
AND ANOTHER THING...

What do you mean buy furniture?

Don't you all just bring your own furniture? It took me AGES to get the right mix of retro chic/modernist flash. Ok, it may all look wrong in a desert(ed) setting but where am I gonnna find a seventies table in Abu Dhabi?

In most Ab Dab furniture shops, the 1970s stuff is new in stock.............
Old Feb 24th 2010, 2:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Just a few pointers:

1. You must get married. Your children will NOT receive residency visas if you and your partner are not married. Without the residency visas they will not be able to enrol in any schools in the UAE or even in a health care scheme.

Just go get married. It's only about nipping down to the registrar's office and signing a bit of paper and going to the pub afterwards. No need to have a big fancy wedding, which are vastly overrated in my view. When I tie the knot it's going to be a small group of family and friends, a quick service in a country church, and decent grub at a gastropub afterwards.

2. Maids/help is cheap out here. The initial set up cost is a bit high but once you have paid the sponsorship fees then the average monthly maid salary is 1500 AED for a full time live in.

3. Dubai is more 'fun' than Abu Dhabi. Better beaches, better malls, better restaurants and bars, a more diverse and international expat scene, more schooling options, more living options.

4. Plenty of people commute daily to AD from Dubai. If you are ok with the 1.5 hour commute into/from London then the Dubai-AD commute isn't a problem. Look into living in a big flat in the Dubai Marina or in a villa in the Meadows/Springs as those are on the southern outskirts of Dubai. Rents run from 135-200,000 AED per year for a three bed+maid's flat or villa depending on the location, although prices are still slowly declining. Please see what kind of assistance the company will provide in terms of rental payment, a single cheque for the year puts you in the best position.

5. Most expats in the UAE are consultants one way or another. There are a few government position open to expats. AD's planning office is mostly staffed by expats. Your husband will find something if he looks long and hard and is flexible about the job he's willing to do.

6. Most people's interior decor is a couple pieces of heavy quasi Indian/Indonesian teak furniture with a couple throw rugs or Persian tribal rugs on the floor. Ship your furniture out here even if it may be from the worst decade in human history.
........... better prostitutes.............
Old Feb 24th 2010, 4:33 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Just a few pointers:

women can sponsor their children, there are a few single parents here
Old Feb 24th 2010, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

Mullet is a jewel in the roughMullet is a jewel in the roughMullet is a jewel in the roughMullet is a jewel in the rough

You may find some decent accomodation in Abu Dhabi by the time you arrive, things are improving. I'm hunting for apartments now and have just seen the new Al Wahda tower apartments which at 160AED including parking are still massively overpriced but by Abu Dhabi standards are reasonably priced.

It's still difficult to justify paying this amount for a two bed with no facilities when you can get an equivilant flat in Dubai marina for 30-40k AED less. Depends on your view of the commute.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 9:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
women can sponsor their children, there are a few single parents here
depends on their job though...

MM, xx
Old Feb 24th 2010, 10:23 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
depends on their job though...

MM, xx
used to, depends on income now
Old Feb 24th 2010, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

6. Most people's interior decor is a couple pieces of heavy quasi Indian/Indonesian teak furniture with a couple throw rugs or Persian tribal rugs on the floor. Ship your furniture out here even if it may be from the worst decade in human history.[/quote]

I thought most people ended up with a shed load of Ikea cr.ap. At least intially until it inevitably breaks and you realise that you get what you pay for.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.