Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Am I bonkers to be even THINKING about this...?

Am I bonkers to be even THINKING about this...?

Old Feb 22nd 2010, 12:05 pm
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Am I bonkers to be even THINKING about this...?

Hi there

I'm new here and researching the possibility of working in AD following an approach from a media company.

I know you have had many, many posts like this but wait... I'm trying to look at it all realistically and to compare what I will be giving up here (uk, southeast) to have there (AD or Dubai).

If I move there I will have to rent out my home here: doable and it will cover the mortgage but I will need to put in a new kitchen and get some bits sorted first. So that's some money to shell out immediately.

Also, my other half will have to find a job too: he is a civil servant, does something with statistics and housing I think...

And then there's the fact that we're not married: I guess that would have to be taken care of sharpish.

I would be the main breadwinner there (yawn) whereas here I'm only the higher earner for about half the year. The rest of the time I work part time and rather enjoy it! Also, I don't have a degree: here that means nothing as I was trained by the BBC (when they used to train people properly over two years...ahem) and have years of great experience. But I've heard that in AD/Dubai it's not possible to work without one. If that's the case I can get off this computer RIGHT NOW and get on with life here.

Living: my brother lived and worked in Dubai a few years ago and loved it - he says to live in Dubai as its cheaper and more "happening." I thoroughly enjoyed my visits to him but I'm very freaked about the driving scare stories - I happily commute into London by car now which takes me 1hr 30 mins there and 1 hour back. But I only do it two/three days a week... Any more could ruin me. Are car pools realistic?

And finally, there are two kids to consider. They're 6 and 4 and obviously I'd have to factor in the cost of educating them: here they go to a great local school which is round the corner. I've talked to them about living abroad and they're surprisingly up for it as both are really interested in seeing the world (my wanderlust gene, clearly). Am I mad to tear them away from their friends and family for a new experience?

Now, there will be many family people on this forum who have lived in AD for ages and can see the pros and cons whereas I can't really. I'm thinking this would be a great career move and a chance to do something different for a while. But is that enough? Am I mad?
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 12:24 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I bonkers to be even THINKING about this...?

before I answer any of that, what have they offered you? (financially)
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 12:25 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

I've never known anyone sane... and if they said they were, then all the more reason to worry!

From your post, you sound as if you kind of already know the answer but are still tempted by the "it's a great experience" thing. Is it something you'd really regret not doing when you're old and sitting by the fireside?

Mr Kitty and I had the same debate (we're from the South East too - great location, great facilities, nice life, if I'm honest) and decided that it was a now-or-never thing and that yes, we would always wonder "what if" had we not done it. BUT we were in a very different position - I was on a career break (one small baby) and Mr Kitty had got as far as he could in the company where he was.

Degree, marriage, costs, renting, schooling... it all mounts up.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 12:33 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

tl:dr
yes
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 1:25 pm
Down and out

ctfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lullabelle
Hi there
... I will have to rent out my home here: doable and it will cover the mortgage ...
Very doable, talk to an accountant to ensure you get full tax relief (it's UK income so taxable)

Also, my other half will have to find a job too: he is a civil servant, does something with statistics and housing I think...
This sounds the trickiest bit - 'proper' government jobs here are mostly for locals; he'd have to work as some kind of consultant/adviser

And then there's the fact that we're not married: I guess that would have to be taken care of sharpish.
Solvable -possibly even not an issue esp. in Dubai

... I don't have a degree:
Can be resolved by your sponsor if evidence of solid experience

Are car pools realistic?
Not really, but driving isn't so bad. Alternatively if you live in Dubai the saving could cover a driver. You have to be alert on the drive so this is money well spent

And finally, there are two kids to consider. They're 6 and 4 and obviously I'd have to factor in the cost of educating them:
Kids that age are amazingly flexible and settle really quickly - education should be covered in your package as it's pretty expensive

One way to assess is to use the Dr Pepper Question: "what's the worst that can happen?" (without getting carried away obviously, though Ahmedinejad is a nutter) If you're prepared to take the costs of calling it a day and heading back home after a year if doesn't work out, then you will, as above, always wonder if you should have tried it.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

fasman is an unknown quantity at this point

Re the tax issue. You shouldn't be taxed by the UK if you work in Dubai or AD, as it is based on place of residence and where the work is performed not on source of income.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

I think if you get references from previous employers demonstrating that you have held management positions over the last ten years then a degree is not needed.

However you should read the thread "Whats with the long face?" before making a decision.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 2:03 pm
Down and out

ctfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fasman
Re the tax issue. You shouldn't be taxed by the UK if you work in Dubai or AD, as it is based on place of residence and where the work is performed not on source of income.
Afraid so. Income from UK property rental is subject to UK tax

http://gulfnews.com/business/your-mo...n-uae-1.585469

You do still get your allowances and, for a single home as in this case as least, a decent accountant will include enough expenses to keep within them and ensure your tax is minimal.

The non-resident landlord scheme puts a legal requirement on agents to deduct basic rate tax or tenants if no agent is used.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/CNR/nr_landlords.htm

You need to set it up before hand to ensure the agent isn't required to deduct tax at source.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 2:25 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

what we don't know is if the children are her partners or from a previous marriage, and I don't know many media jobs that would pay enough to cover school fees.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 3:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

I'm new here and researching the possibility of working in AD following an approach from a media company.

I know you have had many, many posts like this but wait... I'm trying to look at it all realistically and to compare what I will be giving up here (uk, southeast) to have there (AD or Dubai).

If I move there I will have to rent out my home here: doable and it will cover the mortgage but I will need to put in a new kitchen and get some bits sorted first. So that's some money to shell out immediately.

I would be the main breadwinner there (yawn) whereas here I'm only the higher earner for about half the year. The rest of the time I work part time and rather enjoy it! Also, I don't have a degree: here that means nothing as I was trained by the BBC (when they used to train people properly over two years...ahem) and have years of great experience. But I've heard that in AD/Dubai it's not possible to work without one. If that's the case I can get off this computer RIGHT NOW and get on with life here.

Living: my brother lived and worked in Dubai a few years ago and loved it - he says to live in Dubai as its cheaper and more "happening." I thoroughly enjoyed my visits to him but I'm very freaked about the driving scare stories - I happily commute into London by car now which takes me 1hr 30 mins there and 1 hour back. But I only do it two/three days a week... Any more could ruin me. Are car pools realistic?

And finally, there are two kids to consider. They're 6 and 4 and obviously I'd have to factor in the cost of educating them: here they go to a great local school which is round the corner. I've talked to them about living abroad and they're surprisingly up for it as both are really interested in seeing the world (my wanderlust gene, clearly). Am I mad to tear them away from their friends and family for a new experience?

Now, there will be many family people on this forum who have lived in AD for ages and can see the pros and cons whereas I can't really. I'm thinking this would be a great career move and a chance to do something different for a while. But is that enough? Am I mad?
Do it.

Yes, you will sit by the fireside in your twilight years, wondering 'what if...?'.

If you've already been 'approached', I assume a degree is not an essential. I know many people who have or have had very good jobs in Dubai/Ab Dab without a degree.

The only obstacle (and it might be quite a big one, at least initially) is that initially at least you will presumably be gving up two salaries to accept just one. The 'no income tax' element probably won't offset that. Normally I would tell you to ignore Blue Cat's request for salary details but, bearing in mind what I just said, it might not be a bad idea to share it with us.

If it's a very high salary, we will tell you to go for it, but we will all hate you. If it's low, we will tell you not to bother, but at least you won't have made any enemies........

And DON'T marry him just to live out here legally............. he's not worth it. No man is.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 11:11 pm
Just Joined

Daisy92 is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband and I are just about to make the leap with the attitude - we don't want to say 'what if' in years to come so I would say just do it.

I am pregnant so don't have to give my job up fully just yet (i will go on maternity leave with the thought of not going back) and we will keep our house on so if it doesn't work out we can come back and he will have to find a job here.

My husband doesn't have a degree but we have managed to locate school certificates - we have been told by the company hiring him that to obtain a visa they just want to know he has been educated.

The advice on here is good so take into account of what the experts are saying as they seem to know their stuff.

Good luck with you decision making - I'd say just do it....
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 2:04 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by The Dean
Do it.

Yes, you will sit by the fireside in your twilight years, wondering 'what if...?'.

If you've already been 'approached', I assume a degree is not an essential. I know many people who have or have had very good jobs in Dubai/Ab Dab without a degree.

The only obstacle (and it might be quite a big one, at least initially) is that initially at least you will presumably be gving up two salaries to accept just one. The 'no income tax' element probably won't offset that. Normally I would tell you to ignore Blue Cat's request for salary details but, bearing in mind what I just said, it might not be a bad idea to share it with us.

If it's a very high salary, we will tell you to go for it, but we will all hate you. If it's low, we will tell you not to bother, but at least you won't have made any enemies........

And DON'T marry him just to live out here legally............. he's not worth it. No man is.
I don't like to ask salary information but in this case it is imperative with regards educating the kids.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 4:16 am
Down and out

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I don't like to ask salary information but in this case it is imperative with regards educating the kids.
Or alternatively we could suggest credible minimum amounts...

I think school fees are in range of AED 25k - AED 50k per child per year at the ages of lullabelles - this is basic fees so you need to add on for uniforms, extra curricular activities which are sometimes chargeable etc. School fees are generally paid termly in advance.

School availability is a big issue - there just aren't enough places available for kids. For example, the Abu Dhabi Indian schools are proposing two shifts a day to provide viable capacity. Though this is a bit extreme, there is still a lot of hassle in finding places for kids at 'western' expat schools.

Housing and other costs are available elsewhere on the forum with a quick search.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Also, I don't have a degree: here that means nothing as I was trained by the BBC (when they used to train people properly over two years...ahem) and have years of great experience. But I've heard that in AD/Dubai it's not possible to work without one.
I had my Scottish Qualification Authority certificate attested in absence of the Degree as was in same position. I received my labour approval on Sunday, so it's not mandatory and there are ways round it.

other than that, I'm not able to tell you much else, as been here 3 weeks and still living out a hotel, probably not an accurate picture of life over here.

Me n the wife decided that we would rather come out here and hate it/love it, than sit at home and wished we had.

Good luck with the decision, I know it's a big step.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 8:36 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fasman
Can I have whatever medication you are on, please? The OP is talking about tax on her UK rental income not salary income.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.