Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Al Raha Beach to be put on hold

Al Raha Beach to be put on hold

Old Dec 20th 2008, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Al Raha Beach to be put on hold

Originally Posted by rhrhrh
depressing eh?

Aldar LOR was/is the biggest expat employer in AD, OPCO'S aside

Its only gonna get worse

On a brighter note, accomodation should start getting cheaper in the new year
yes agreed, I think that lessons will be learned from this also.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

andrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rhrhrh
depressing eh?

Aldar LOR was/is the biggest expat employer in AD, OPCO'S aside

Its only gonna get worse

On a brighter note, accomodation should start getting cheaper in the new year
I disagree, I think accomodation will stay the same if not increase. As with the Dubai market, there is no real supply and demand relationship here. I think that landlords have got a taste for high rents and thats going to stay even if it means landlords leaving places empty.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 12:01 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrewpops
I disagree, I think accomodation will stay the same if not increase. As with the Dubai market, there is no real supply and demand relationship here. I think that landlords have got a taste for high rents and thats going to stay even if it means landlords leaving places empty.
you could be right, but if there are alot of people leaving and no news ones arriving something will have to give. It is definately changing in Dubai, apparently there was an ad in the Gulf News last week for an villa for rent, 12 cheques! now that is a first. There are way too many apartments in Dubai, I can't see how they will rent half of the never mind all of them. All the buildings near me are empty.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

bimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by benzonar
I can't believe how short sighted they are being. It's not like the AD market is overcooked like Dubai. Shame they don't see it as an opportunity to et it done properly, and take advantage of lower commodity prices and labour rates.

I suspect the AD SWF took a real pasting lately and the cash just isn't there
ADIA and the other SWF:s took a pasting but it´s not affecting this because ADIA money is not used for investments inside Abu Dhabi..rather the opposite actually.

No, this is an ALDAR decision if true..But shortsighted, I agree on that.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 12:21 am
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Besides,
What would all the expats say if the rents started to dip next year just as their off plan property(probably bought to make a killing in the rental market) is nearing completion................
Old Dec 21st 2008, 12:29 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eva
Besides,
What would all the expats say if the rents started to dip next year just as their off plan property(probably bought to make a killing in the rental market) is nearing completion................
well that is going to happen here Eva, no doubt about it.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 1:19 am
Forum Regular

girlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to all

LoR having been making redundancies for the past month and it is generally well known that they are struggling -mostly cos they pi55ed off Aldar who have subsequently given some of the work earmarked for LoR to other companies.

Two of the other big construction companies involved at Raha Beach are actively recruiting so who knows the truth.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 2:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Alen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond repute

Was looking at offices to rent today: 'open to offers and 12 cheques' seemed to be the norm.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 2:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

but that was presumably in dubai tho?
Old Dec 21st 2008, 2:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

they used to leave the places empty in abu dhabi some 10 years ago, but then it didnt matter because there was enough to go around, not the case now.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Karlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond repute

What an absolute crock !

Yes there are cut backs, people will be laid off !

But the following contracts are still going ahead-

Al Bandar, Al Muneera, Aldar HQ, The Camps at Musaffah, Al Khubbeira and Al Zeina !

Yes I do work there and the strategy was outlined to all JLI staff at a meeting today !

Anna - Cant speak for th Aldar salaries but believe me the Laing salaries are in line with other construction companies throughout the UAE
Old Dec 21st 2008, 3:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Karlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond repute

Oh forgot Ferrari World (The GP Track) is ongoing and Motorworld will start shortly but instead of building temporary car showrooms we are building permanent ones!
Old Dec 21st 2008, 5:11 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Oh no Karlos, don't ever let your informed truth get in the way of the abu dhabi doom and gloom knitting circle...
Old Dec 21st 2008, 5:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Right off to find ajob in Bahrain !
Old Dec 21st 2008, 5:17 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Ill join you cause it was posted on abudhabifishwifes.com that all newbuild rigs in abu dhabi are cancelled for ever and ever and ever and ever. Or so they think that's what hubbie said or overheard in the boozer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.