Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

60% drop in petrol price

60% drop in petrol price

Old May 23rd 2012, 2:19 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 60% drop in petrol price

I wonder if Qatar is cheapest for petrol - Never more that QR40 to fill the tank from empty (about £7).

The locals of course take full advantage, with the V8 Landcruiser being the entry level mode of transport.

[J]
Old May 23rd 2012, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11
I wonder if Qatar is cheapest for petrol - Never more that QR40 to fill the tank from empty (about £7).

The locals of course take full advantage, with the V8 Landcruiser being the entry level mode of transport.

[J]
Guess it depends on size of tank really. 18 Saudi riyals to half fill a fortuner in damman this week. Any fortuner owners in the UAE to make a genuine comparison ?
Old May 23rd 2012, 8:13 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
Guess it depends on size of tank really. 18 Saudi riyals to half fill a fortuner in damman this week. Any fortuner owners in the UAE to make a genuine comparison ?
and here I was thinking that petrol was normally priced in a unit of measure called a litre (or gallon if you're a yank) and not 'half a fortuner'....

it does get complicated as some of the countries have different octanes available though.

Saudi (last time I checked);
91 - SR 0.45/litre (USD 0.12)
95 - SR 0.6/litre (USD 0.16)

Bahrain (last time I checked);
91 - BD 0.080/litre (USD 0.21)
95 - BD 0.100/litre (USD 0.27)

UAE;
91 - no idea, never seen it for sale
95 - approx AED 1.72 (USD 0.47)
98 - approx AED 1.83 (USD 0.50)

As soon as I finished writing down all the above I found this wiki article which has all of it (and more)....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasolin...ge_and_pricing
Old May 24th 2012, 4:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=norsk;10078336]and here I was thinking that petrol was normally priced in a unit of measure called a litre (or gallon if you're a yank) and not 'half a fortuner'....
QUOTE]

lmao norsky, I havent looked at petrol pump itself in years. I only just manage to drop the window enough to slip out 20 SAR and take my receipt so the car doesnt get hot.

I thought the half a tank price was something people could equate to. That was at the filling station just before the toll booths on the Saudi side and someone has said its actually cheaper if you fill up at one of the stations on the main highway but at less than 20 SAR who gives a shit about saving a SAR.
Old May 25th 2012, 1:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Tockalosh;10079031]
Originally Posted by norsk
and here I was thinking that petrol was normally priced in a unit of measure called a litre (or gallon if you're a yank) and not 'half a fortuner'....
QUOTE]

lmao norsky, I havent looked at petrol pump itself in years. I only just manage to drop the window enough to slip out 20 SAR and take my receipt so the car doesnt get hot.

I thought the half a tank price was something people could equate to. That was at the filling station just before the toll booths on the Saudi side and someone has said its actually cheaper if you fill up at one of the stations on the main highway but at less than 20 SAR who gives a shit about saving a SAR.
94aed to fill a tuna from 'light on/ 3km left' empty
Old May 26th 2012, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

HertsBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't believe anyone has a problem about paying SEVEN POUNDS to fill up with petrol!!
If you were in the UK it would be SEVENTY POUNDS or more.
Old May 26th 2012, 8:34 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HertsBrit
I can't believe anyone has a problem about paying SEVEN POUNDS to fill up with petrol!!
If you were in the UK it would be SEVENTY POUNDS or more.
when i was in saudi it cost me about 9 quid to fill my touareg to the brim whereas in dubai it costs me 27 quid for exactly the same. of course it's cheaper than in the uk (or norway for that matter), but i don't live there do i...
Old May 26th 2012, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

HertsBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by norsk
when i was in saudi it cost me about 9 quid to fill my touareg to the brim whereas in dubai it costs me 27 quid for exactly the same. of course it's cheaper than in the uk (or norway for that matter), but i don't live there do i...
Simple answer then, if you want cheaper petrol go live in Saudi!!
Old May 26th 2012, 9:03 pm
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold

50SAR (about E10) for 90 liters of 95 fills the Tahoe from empty. And then I do about 400km.
Old May 27th 2012, 3:26 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tockalosh

I only just manage to drop the window enough to slip out 20 SAR and take my receipt .
you need a receipt for 3 quids worth of juice?

i just jam the attendant a 5 riyal note for 'half a fluenze/mazda 3' or whichever saloon riyadh airport hertz give me for the week