Reload this Page >

Brits In Chicago

Brits In Chicago

Old Nov 11th 2010, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

hockeysarah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Brits In Chicago

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
You can get a decent cider for $3.99 made in Yorkshire as well, its sold at Whole Foods.
Perfect! you are doing well at fixing all my problems!
Now the only thing i will be missing will be a proper pub, none of these pretend Irish pubs that dont look anything like an Irish pub!
Old Nov 11th 2010, 8:50 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hockeysarah
Perfect! you are doing well at fixing all my problems!
Now the only thing i will be missing will be a proper pub, none of these pretend Irish pubs that dont look anything like an Irish pub!
Finding a proper pub is unlikely. I've only been to one that I would ever consider making my local if I ever lived in that particular town, but again that was in Libertyville, about 40 miles out of the city. There may be better pubs in Chicago itself of course.

I don't go out much at all since moving out here, it's too depressing . I don't even really like the pubs when I play there, but at least I'm getting paid.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 9:57 am
Just Joined

fleethants is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi we are a family with 2 children who are moving to Chicago this summer. Buffalo Grove is one of the areas we are considering as our preferred location. Would you recommend it? Would love to hear the pro's and con's... Thank you
Old Apr 26th 2011, 1:59 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fleethants
Hi we are a family with 2 children who are moving to Chicago this summer. Buffalo Grove is one of the areas we are considering as our preferred location. Would you recommend it? Would love to hear the pro's and con's... Thank you
Though I don't live there, I have been through Buffalo Grove quite a lot, it is nice in that general area down there and is quite well placed for access to the city, airport and all that good stuff.

One thing though, being in Cook County you have a 9.5% sales tax, compared to Lake County's 7%, so if you do end up living there, do your grocery shopping in somewhere like Lincolnshire or Vernon Hills and you'll pay less tax

There a lot of nice towns in that area, both north and south - you're sort of spoilt for choice compared to further north where I live.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 3:39 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Also the most important thing!!

Being close to Long Grove, a great little village with not one but TWO stores that sell Irish/British Meats and one that sells English Candies and Crisps/Chips, tea, beans, custard! And all the rest that goes with it!
Old Apr 26th 2011, 3:43 pm
I have a comma problem

Also the most important thing!!

Being close to Long Grove, a great little village with not one but TWO stores that sell Irish/British Meats and one that sells English Candies and Crisps/Chips, tea, beans, custard! And all the rest that goes with it!
Forgot about that - silly me.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fleethants
If you will be working in Downtown Chicago, somewhere close to a train station would save you a horrendous commute, at times.

Jim.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 3:52 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
If you will be working in Downtown Chicago, somewhere close to a train station would save you a horrendous commute, at times.

Jim.
There is a Metra Train serving the area, I would HATE to drive that distance every day.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

There is a Metra Train serving the area, I would HATE to drive that distance every day.
Makes me wonder why some people do it, rather than take the train.

Jim.
Old May 2nd 2011, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

BRITX-PAT is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there

We moved to Buffalo Grove in November last year. We have 3 kids, would be happy to answer any questions you may have about schools, area etc.

You can email me at marie at oyston dot net if you want any questions answered!
Old May 9th 2011, 3:59 am
Just Joined

martyfen is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are looking at areas - I would suggest also looking at Naperville. It has a great downtown area, is on the main rail line into the city, has great schools and a very good private college. def worth a look.
Old May 10th 2011, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by martyfen
If you are looking at areas - I would suggest also looking at Naperville. It has a great downtown area, is on the main rail line into the city, has great schools and a very good private college. def worth a look.
If you're talking about North Central College, I agree, I take their Concert Choir on their Concert Tours.

Fine group of people.

Jim.
Old May 10th 2011, 6:45 pm
I have a comma problem

If you're talking about North Central College, I agree, I take their Concert Choir on their Concert Tours.

Fine group of people.

Jim.
Do you spend any time driving on Rt.12 near the IL/WI border at all? If so I've probably driven past you a bunch of times. I work on 12, and I see coaches going by all the time and I always wonder who's in them.
Old May 13th 2011, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Do you spend any time driving on Rt.12 near the IL/WI border at all? If so I've probably driven past you a bunch of times. I work on 12, and I see coaches going by all the time and I always wonder who's in them.
Occasionally, but I go all over the country and Canada, too. Will be spending next week in Michigan and then a month in New England, driving a couple of SAGA Tours, who are coming over from the UK.

Jim.
Old May 13th 2011, 3:24 am
I have a comma problem

Occasionally, but I go all over the country and Canada, too. Will be spending next week in Michigan and then a month in New England, driving a couple of SAGA Tours, who are coming over from the UK.

Jim.
12 seems to be a popular one for coaches and lorries. Probably because it avoids the toll roads but gets you close to I-43 and I-94 in Wisconsin. Lorries, of course, because the weigh station by the border is never open

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.