Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Meet-ups
Reload this Page >

Brits In Chicago

Brits In Chicago

Old Jun 15th 2010, 9:56 am
Blue

Waza is just really niceWaza is just really niceWaza is just really niceWaza is just really niceWaza is just really niceWaza is just really niceWaza is just really niceWaza is just really niceWaza is just really nice
Default Brits In Chicago

Hi Guys,
Moving to Chicago pretty soon, is there any Brits knocking about the area.I know The Globe Pub is a great premiership pub with a few Brit football fans in.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 1:38 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Brits In Chicago

Alright mate, the globe's a good gig for football...if you need any other info when you land let me know I'll be glad to help you out.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Waza
Hi Guys,
Moving to Chicago pretty soon, is there any Brits knocking about the area.I know The Globe Pub is a great premiership pub with a few Brit football fans in.
Elephant & Castle at E. Huron and St Clair isn't too bad either. Plenty of good beer there.

Jim.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 6:33 pm
Blue

Waza is just really niceWaza is just really niceWaza is just really niceWaza is just really niceWaza is just really niceWaza is just really niceWaza is just really niceWaza is just really niceWaza is just really nice

Cheers Guys....Will be in touch.....hope to there early August
Old Nov 9th 2010, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

hockeysarah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Waza
Cheers Guys....Will be in touch.....hope to there early August
i hope to be moving out there in June/ July and was wondering the same thing!
I dont want to miss out on the football!
Old Nov 9th 2010, 3:26 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by hockeysarah
i hope to be moving out there in June/ July and was wondering the same thing!
I dont want to miss out on the football!
There's plenty going on and plenty of places to watch football! You can even get a Full English at the same time...
Old Nov 9th 2010, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

BRITX-PAT is an unknown quantity at this point

Some more Brits moving to Chicago in 2 weeks. We are currently living in Dubai and fly out on Thursday 25th November (Thanksgiving). We are a family with 3 kids and would love to be in touch with any other Brits who could give us some info on life in Chicago and also a friendly face! We will be living in Buffalo Grove.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 3:40 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

Originally Posted by BRITX-PAT
Some more Brits moving to Chicago in 2 weeks. We are currently living in Dubai and fly out on Thursday 25th November (Thanksgiving). We are a family with 3 kids and would love to be in touch with any other Brits who could give us some info on life in Chicago and also a friendly face! We will be living in Buffalo Grove.
Hi, I'll gladly answer any questions you have I know the area well.

You're fortunate that you'll be moving within striking distance of one of the few English Stores in the area.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

Is that the one in Long Grove? My Dh has been there and bought a Crunchie! Are people friendly enough? Do they accept Brits? Our kids are 10 (boy) and we have boy and girl twins who are 4. We can get a lot of British stuff here in Dubai, is there anything you would advise me to bring? I need to have my Paxo stuffing and Bisto gravy for my Christmas dinner!! Am getting excited but nervous at the same time!!
Old Nov 9th 2010, 3:55 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

Is that the one in Long Grove?
Yes, yes it is!

Are people friendly enough?
Yes, very friendly, although obviously if you find yourself in the wrong end of town, not so much.

Do they accept Brits?
America on a whole in my opinion is very welcoming of English people, ignoring the whole independence from Europe etc. People will ask you about your accent for sure. Being English has never been a negative thing for me.

is there anything you would advise me to bring?
WARM CLOTHING! I'll say it again, WARM, CLOTHING!

This is the extreme opposite of Dubai! In winter, with wind chill accounted for, it can get VERY cold, and the wrong clothing or not taking the weather seriously can have dire consequences. Read this wiki related to Chicago's weather.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Chicago

It can make or break you.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

Thanks! Am trying to brace myself for the cold again after 4 years living in Dubai. We came from Scotland to Dubai so not immune to cold winters but I am preparing for the extreme!! What do they do about the roads etc when the weather is bad, does everything still function? A spot of snow in the UK and everything goes mad!
Old Nov 9th 2010, 5:34 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

Thanks! Am trying to brace myself for the cold again after 4 years living in Dubai. We came from Scotland to Dubai so not immune to cold winters but I am preparing for the extreme!! What do they do about the roads etc when the weather is bad, does everything still function? A spot of snow in the UK and everything goes mad!
The roads function fine, people get a bit crazy after the first snow fall and forget how to drive but the City (In the Chicago City Limits) do a good job of keeping the main roads clean and will clean side streets where needed a few days after a big storm. For your area, The Village of Buffalo Grove will take care of the main streets, I'm not aware of their procedure for side streets though there are many neighborhoods that pay for there own streets playing if it's over a few inches, normally three.

Also you will see designated areas where parking is NOT permitted if there is more than a few inches of snow, depends on the area.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 6:02 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

We live just over the Wisconsin border, north of Chicago, and I work in Waukegan. We have an 18-month-old, but haven't really done much in the way of "family" activities yet. Been here about three years.

Give me a holler if you need owt.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 6:26 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gingerert
We live just over the Wisconsin border, north of Chicago, and I work in Waukegan. We have an 18-month-old, but haven't really done much in the way of "family" activities yet. Been here about three years.

Give me a holler if you need owt.
Probably not too far from me then by the looks of it!

Once the ba is a bit older, there's plenty of family stuff in Gurnee (6 flags in the summer and then there's the mall for the girls) and the museums in Chicago will keep you busy as well. Long, long overdue another trip into the city myself - hard to find the time sadly.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 7:24 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Probably not too far from me then by the looks of it!

Once the ba is a bit older, there's plenty of family stuff in Gurnee (6 flags in the summer and then there's the mall for the girls) and the museums in Chicago will keep you busy as well. Long, long overdue another trip into the city myself - hard to find the time sadly.
Where do you get your breakfast fixings?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.