Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

if your boss ask you to do......what action?

if your boss ask you to do......what action?

Old Jan 19th 2010, 5:34 am
Banned

i-like-tea is just really nicei-like-tea is just really nicei-like-tea is just really nicei-like-tea is just really nicei-like-tea is just really nicei-like-tea is just really nicei-like-tea is just really nicei-like-tea is just really nicei-like-tea is just really nice
Default if your boss ask you to do......what action?

Sometimes your boss comes to you and he asks you to do other employee work because the employee is on leave, sick. You are as a honest and you do not like work to stop, you will do the work until the employee come from his vacation or sick leave.
But sometimes what happened is that, your boss will give you works that are not under your duties. I do not know how this boss turn other people work to you. I face this problem so many times in my previous company.
I would like to hear your opinions in such as this case and if your boss asks to do work that is not under your duties, what is the action that you follow?
Discuss….
Old Jan 19th 2010, 6:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: if your boss ask you to do......what action?

Originally Posted by i-like-tea
Sometimes your boss comes to you and he asks you to do other employee work because the employee is on leave, sick. You are as a honest and you do not like work to stop, you will do the work until the employee come from his vacation or sick leave.
But sometimes what happened is that, your boss will give you works that are not under your duties. I do not know how this boss turn other people work to you. I face this problem so many times in my previous company.
I would like to hear your opinions in such as this case and if your boss asks to do work that is not under your duties, what is the action that you follow?
Discuss….
tell him to f.uck off and see how things go
Old Jan 19th 2010, 7:47 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
imo, it depends... if your boss is giving you someone else's work cos that person happens to be a work-shy loser who simply can't do it, then, well, it may get you brownie points. I'd maybe smile and ask if I can have the other chap's salary too.
If your boss is just dumping stuff on you cos he's failed to plan the workload properly, then it's time to say something.
If you're in actual fact the work-shy loser and don't want to do a stroke more work that your job description entails, then, well... carry on as you are and wait for your Letter when the company culls the chaff [hmm... bit of a mix of analogy there. Oh well]
Old Jan 19th 2010, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Euc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond repute

I'm facing exactly the same thing, but I am doing the job of my superior who is not hired at this moment, I take the opportunity to get the experience and perhaps to prove myself to qualify for a promotion sooner
Old Jan 19th 2010, 9:04 am
Banned

i-like-tea is just really nicei-like-tea is just really nicei-like-tea is just really nicei-like-tea is just really nicei-like-tea is just really nicei-like-tea is just really nicei-like-tea is just really nicei-like-tea is just really nicei-like-tea is just really nice

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
In this case he will give me more works and also I will create another problem. I believe strong sometimes is not helpful.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 9:13 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
imo, it depends... if your boss is giving you someone else's work cos that person happens to be a work-shy loser who simply can't do it, then, well, it may get you brownie points. I'd maybe smile and ask if I can have the other chap's salary too.
If your boss is just dumping stuff on you cos he's failed to plan the workload properly, then it's time to say something.
If you're in actual fact the work-shy loser and don't want to do a stroke more work that your job description entails, then, well... carry on as you are and wait for your Letter when the company culls the chaff [hmm... bit of a mix of analogy there. Oh well]
Some employees try to choose the work that it gives them experiences and values and the work that is not need a degree and not beneficial they turn to other people and as you say some employees or boss do not like to meet customers so they will ask you to do that work. You have mentioned some points that are useful.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 9:17 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Euc-
I'm facing exactly the same thing, but I am doing the job of my superior who is not hired at this moment, I take the opportunity to get the experience and perhaps to prove myself to qualify for a promotion sooner
Yes if the work is like that and give me an opportunity to develop my experience I will accept the work same to you….
Old Jan 19th 2010, 9:48 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

the thing is, it's a poor employee (and bosses are also employees) who only applies him/herself to tasks that s/he finds interesting and/or "beneficial". All jobs have fun parts and dull parts and every part needs to be done with equal dedication.

Well, that's my personal philosophy at least. Ironically, I've found that the more you show willing to do even the dull stuff, the more interesting stuff comes your way!
Old Jan 19th 2010, 11:09 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

So long as you are not working extra hours, does it really matter what job you are doing? If you do have to work extra hours, some bonus should be sought.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

Discuss….
Many times i've 'diversified' in the work place, doing other things and i actually don't mind it as for me doing the same thing day in day out gets a bit tedious.
It very much depends what they're asking you to do. If you feel its something that is below you and that someone else should do it then no, i wouldn't. But, generally i think its the wrong attitude to have.

I hate people that feel that all they have to do is turn up, do the hours they're contracted to do and go home having done the bare minimum. These are the type of people i'd refer to as 'coasters'. No ambition, no drive, no willing to put themselves out the slightest bit. These are the people that will be stuck in the same job for 30 years and suddenly one day will think 'sh*t....what have i been doing all this time'?

This happens a lot in Britain however, i'd say most expats that move abroad are of a different mentality as they have (probably) moved away for bigger and better things.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 10:05 am
Is not impressed...

Aikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really nice

Are you at work while starting all of these threads?
Old Jan 26th 2010, 11:41 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Aikman7981
Are you at work while starting all of these threads?
yes
Old Jan 26th 2010, 2:10 pm
ex-expat

yes

Old Jan 26th 2010, 3:19 pm
Is not impressed...

Aikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really nice

yes
I'm speechless... 6 forums in all.

Try working during work hours and all questions and concerns will take care of themselves.

Last edited by Aikman7981; Jan 26th 2010 at 3:25 pm. Reason: did the math