Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Holidays and other benefits

Holidays and other benefits

Old Apr 25th 2009, 9:20 am
???

moto111 is a splendid one to beholdmoto111 is a splendid one to beholdmoto111 is a splendid one to beholdmoto111 is a splendid one to beholdmoto111 is a splendid one to beholdmoto111 is a splendid one to beholdmoto111 is a splendid one to beholdmoto111 is a splendid one to beholdmoto111 is a splendid one to beholdmoto111 is a splendid one to beholdmoto111 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Holidays and other benefits

Originally Posted by Cham128
Ok i'm clear on how much is a good offer as base salary at my level, and I know about the free flight, healthcare and dental, but is there a standard amount of holiday that I should be offered? is this negotiable? only asking as a friend of mine said that the employment law is 20 days and its usually non-negotiable.

apart from housing is there anything else i should be looking at getting as part of the deal without over-stretching my worth?

PS; don't have kids so won't need a school package.
If you get free dental, then thats really good.

On the holiday front I work for a MNC and I get the standard 22 working days plus public/religious holidays, the tricky thing though is with the Religious holidays I never really know what I am going to get as everyone waits to see what the government sector get, and as a rule of thumb if a public/religious holiday falls on a weekend day you do not tend to get a day in lieu....
Old Apr 25th 2009, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

klaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud of

My contract says 30 working days of paid leave. So that is not 22 days, neither include public holidays as they are not working days. I thought this was standard.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 4:46 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by klaus3974
My contract says 30 working days of paid leave. So that is not 22 days, neither include public holidays as they are not working days. I thought this was standard.
i get 22 days not including weekends and all public holidays...
Old Apr 26th 2009, 4:47 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
i get 22 days not including weekends and all public holidays...
I think 22 days including weekends, comes to 30 days or there abouts.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 7:59 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I think 22 days including weekends, comes to 30 days or there abouts.
on paper yea, but 30 days all in is shit compared to 22 days (no weekends) unless you take all the leave in one go, then it doesnt matter.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 4:17 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

on paper yea, but 30 days all in is shit compared to 22 days (no weekends) unless you take all the leave in one go, then it doesnt matter.
which is what always used to be the case, do 11 months take one off.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 4:19 am
banned

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
which is what always used to be the case, do 11 months take one off.
thank god i never had a deal like that ever..
Old Apr 27th 2009, 4:28 am
Concierge

thank god i never had a deal like that ever..
it was never a deal, just what people preferred, a whole month away from the UAE right in the Middle of summer. Some still prefer to work like this, though we prefer to break them up over the course of the year.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 5:59 am
banned

Same here, I'm home on thurday for a week, another 2 in July and then off to Oz later.

I couldn't think of anything worse than 1 break a year
Old Apr 28th 2009, 6:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Same here, I'm home on thurday for a week, another 2 in July and then off to Oz later.

I couldn't think of anything worse than 1 break a year
god i couldnt stick that either, 11 months stuck here. I would go insane.

I get 30 working days, IE 6 weeks, plus all the public hols, 2 days at xmas and 1 day at easter, bliss
Old Apr 28th 2009, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

mrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nice

I get 26 working days, weekend not included......plus public holidays which are generally annouced around 7pm the night before
Old May 2nd 2009, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Cham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to behold

cheers for the replies guys
Old May 8th 2009, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

Marco78 is an unknown quantity at this point

38 days + public holidays (I work 4 the gvmt sector)
Old May 8th 2009, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Cham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Marco78
Old May 11th 2009, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

niddy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Marco78

Marco, where in the government sector do you work? I need to get your gig!