Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Design Manager Dubai - expected income

Design Manager Dubai - expected income

Old May 16th 2010, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

Keoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really nice
Default Re: Design Manager Dubai - expected income

Originally Posted by Tulkyuk
I have been offered 20000 AED per month plus an end of year bonus - works out a total of between £45-£50,000 per year, but reading through the boards it seems as though rental for apartments etc is quite high and so is car hire.

It looks like i would make an ok living for myself, but would not leave a lot of money to send home to the wife
It's impossible to say without seeing your CV. But a total package of AED20K per month is right at the bottom end of the scale for that particular job title, if you have relevant qualifications & several years of relevant experience. You can e-mail me if you like - If you have more than 10yrs post Grad, I have a few vacancies with my company in Abu Dhabi for qualified Architects with good design review & construction experience.
Old May 16th 2010, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soukie
I know some Design Managers who are currently on 60k per month so make sure that the Company are not pulling a fast one! They do try it on and will tell you that you are not being taxed! Dubai is expensive....
Also remember to do a bit of research into any company you work for as there are some in the region that have problems retaining staff and always seem to be advertising.
Old May 16th 2010, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

Tulkyuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Keoic
It's impossible to say without seeing your CV. But a total package of AED20K per month is right at the bottom end of the scale for that particular job title, if you have relevant qualifications & several years of relevant experience. You can e-mail me if you like - If you have more than 10yrs post Grad, I have a few vacancies with my company in Abu Dhabi for qualified Architects with good design review & construction experience.
I have sent you a PM
Old May 19th 2010, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

Keoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really nice

Hi No PM received.
try [email protected]
Old May 19th 2010, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

mushroomheadd is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by soukie
I know some Design Managers who are currently on 60k per month so make sure that the Company are not pulling a fast one! They do try it on and will tell you that you are not being taxed! Dubai is expensive....
KEO will not pay you one dollar more than you think you are worth - Any white engineer who would come out here and work for 20,000 per month is only pulling down the salaries of everyone else.

at 240,000 per month, that should cover your rent - but dont expect to eat - or go anywhere..

ask them if they meant 20,000 /mth was your Housing allowance?
Old May 19th 2010, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mushroomheadd
KEO will not pay you one dollar more than you think you are worth - Any white engineer who would come out here and work for 20,000 per month is only pulling down the salaries of everyone else.

at 240,000 per month, that should cover your rent - but dont expect to eat - or go anywhere..

ask them if they meant 20,000 /mth was your Housing allowance?
so you think £45-50 grand a year is rent money ( must be a friggin mansion)- i want your job as you are obviously loaded
Old May 19th 2010, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

so you think £45-50 grand a year is rent money ( must be a friggin mansion)- i want your job as you are obviously loaded
No - I think 20,000 per month is an insult - (unless of course you are about 19).

As for my job - You have no hope, if you go round accepting expat packages like that.
Old May 19th 2010, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mushroomheadd
No - I think 20,000 per month is an insult - (unless of course you are about 19).

As for my job - You have no hope, if you go round accepting expat packages like that.
First time working out there and having looked around it seemed like a half decent offer in the current climate.
Old May 19th 2010, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

p.s...

Whilst the prices of accommodation in Dubai has admittedly fallen to more sesnible levels of late (for how long?) - but many Expat families are being asked to pay 200 - 240,000 dirham per year in order to accommodate their families in relatively journeyman accommodation. If you don't know the market here - beware - spend a day looking at accommodation in Abu Dhabi to re-adjust your context.

I myself pay 1/4 of that - but only because I choose to put up with the inconveniences involved.

The earlier comment from someone who knows Design Managers earning 60,000/mth is correct - and some of them work for KEO.

I know one family earning high 30s per month, (2 kids and renting in Abu Dhabi for around 160K per year for a 2 Bdrm flat) - had to return home when the kids were due for pre-school because the numbers just don't add up.
Old May 19th 2010, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

Would I now be able to negotiate a higher salary - i have excepted the position and should be starting on Sunday morning!!
Old May 19th 2010, 2:51 pm
Just Joined

Would I now be able to negotiate a higher salary - i have excepted the position and should be starting on Sunday morning!!
No - you are pretty screwed.

Spend your first 3 months probation having a few drinks with your colleagues, and find out what they are on - (discount what they tell you by at least 15%) and that will tell you what is do-able - but you are going to have to swallow it for a while.

You might be able to re-negotiate a rise after 3 months - but there has to be some Love.

KEO got me once on half the rate of other colleagues. I had to bide my time, but when the time came and tables turned, they paid - and paid.
Old May 19th 2010, 4:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Sunday?!? and only now you ask...
Old May 19th 2010, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
Sunday?!? and only now you ask...
if you look at the original thread start you will se its about 2 weeks old
- i then had enough time to negotiate