Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Design Manager Dubai - expected income

Design Manager Dubai - expected income

Old May 6th 2010, 12:28 am
Just Joined

Tulkyuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Design Manager Dubai - expected income

Can some please tell what i should expect to be paid as a Design manager in dubai,
i will be working in construction on various projects across the middle east and would like to know if i have made the correct decision.
Old May 6th 2010, 2:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Design Manager Dubai - expected income

Originally Posted by Tulkyuk
Can some please tell what i should expect to be paid as a Design manager in dubai,
i will be working in construction on various projects across the middle east and would like to know if i have made the correct decision.
Only you will know if you have made the correct decision - it has to work for you - don't come here for the same and believe it is tax free.

might be easier if you tell us what you are being offered
Old May 6th 2010, 2:35 am
Just Joined

I have been offered 20000 AED per month plus an end of year bonus - works out a total of between £45-£50,000 per year, but reading through the boards it seems as though rental for apartments etc is quite high and so is car hire.

It looks like i would make an ok living for myself, but would not leave a lot of money to send home to the wife
Old May 6th 2010, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Salaries in this area vary depending on your nationality, experience and qualifications so it is very difficult to comment. Don't bank on getting a bonus as they often don't materialise.
Old May 6th 2010, 3:25 am
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

I have been offered 20000 AED per month plus an end of year bonus - works out a total of between £45-£50,000 per year, but reading through the boards it seems as though rental for apartments etc is quite high and so is car hire.

It looks like i would make an ok living for myself, but would not leave a lot of money to send home to the wife
On 20K per month, you could send home AED 150k annually if not more.

By living in a studio apartment:
Discovery Gardens Studio - 30K/an
Dubai Marina Studio - 35K/an
Greens Studio - 40K/an

By purchasing a used car, and selling it when you're done with it.
It'll be far cheaper than car hire. I've owned a couple of cheap old cars which cost me less than 5K in insurance, repairs and depreciation annually.

Maintain a simple lifestyle.

If this is vastly better than your current situation at home and you can accept the many risks that come with living in Dubai – you've got an answer.
Old May 6th 2010, 3:32 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BurpusMe
On 20K per month, you could send home AED 150k annually if not more.

By living in a studio apartment:
Discovery Gardens Studio - 30K/an
Dubai Marina Studio - 35K/an
Greens Studio - 40K/an

By purchasing a used car, and selling it when you're done with it.
It'll be far cheaper than car hire. I've owned a couple of cheap old cars which cost me less than 5K in insurance, repairs and depreciation annually.

Maintain a simple lifestyle.

If this is vastly better than your current situation at home and you can accept the many risks that come with living in Dubai – you've got an answer.
Well I will see how it goes - company is paying first 3 weeks hotel accommodation any way and its got to be better than twiddling my thumbs over here - UK construction and architecture businesses are up the creek at the moment.

Maybe get to meet a few of you soon i hope
Old May 6th 2010, 3:48 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

I know some Design Managers who are currently on 60k per month so make sure that the Company are not pulling a fast one! They do try it on and will tell you that you are not being taxed! Dubai is expensive....
Old May 6th 2010, 7:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I know that this hard not to do, but don't convert to sterling.

I came here when it was 7.2AED=1GBP, it is now 5.5AED. 30% increase in sterling terms - sounds great? life here is more expensive here in AED terms than when I arrived and the exchange rate has gone against you.

Try and calculate everything in AED, work out what is left that you will be saving and convert that to sterling. If that is more than you save now then it might be ok.

20,000 AED and leaving the wife at home... better be worth it - doesn't sound it to me (unless you hate the wife that is)
Old May 8th 2010, 11:10 am
Just Joined

fiestyredhead is an unknown quantity at this point

hi, just wondered why you don't take your wife with you

Is it single status contract?
Old May 8th 2010, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fiestyredhead
hi, just wondered why you don't take your wife with you

Is it single status contract?
The idea is for her to join me in a couple of years if things work out ok
Old May 8th 2010, 9:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Under UAE labour law your company is required to give you 60 days in accomadation upon your arrival (not that any company does that)
Old May 8th 2010, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

The idea is for her to join me in a couple of years if things work out ok
Wise move, especially if she has a job at home. Many projects are unstable in UAE at the moment.
Old May 8th 2010, 11:27 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soukie
Wise move, especially if she has a job at home. Many projects are unstable in UAE at the moment.
and remain unstable even after they are built!
Old May 9th 2010, 12:18 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadking
and remain unstable even after they are built!
Is that what you want the aluminium plate for?
Old May 9th 2010, 1:17 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Is that what you want the aluminium plate for?
Nah, fitted a wooden floor to my garage and want some plate to define where my bike(s) go. It's all for the looks..... and to stop me sliding on my arse if the floor is wet!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.