Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Sponsorship questions - I-134 more lax than the I-864?

Sponsorship questions - I-134 more lax than the I-864?

Old Jan 28th 2011, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

Britlover is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sponsorship questions - I-134 more lax than the I-864?

Hello,

Ive been reading the posts here, and there seems to be A LOT of questions/concerns about the I-134 and then the I-864 forms and sponsorship (with good reason).

I know that the I-134 form for the K-1 visa goes along the guidelines that the I-864 does, but Im getting the impression from posts on here that when, at the interview, the embassy is more relaxed for the requirements for the I-134?

What I guess Im asking is....if someone makes EXACTLY (to the dollar) the amount that they need to sponsor their fiance (per requirements from the I-864)....it would get accepted right? I mean that is the requirement they gave. (Granted when they send their bank statements they are in the negative).

I ask because that will be my case...RIGHT at the limit of requirement. (and i DONT have a co sponsor). It sounds like even tho they use the same guidelines that the I-864 is more strict.

I am still in the waiting period of getting the K-1 approved...but reading more and more...Im getting nervous about the sponsorship.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

Britlover is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sponsorship questions - I-134 more lax than the I-864?

I meant to say that they make EXACTLY the sponsorship requirements, and their bank accounts are NOT in the negative. LOL

I do have a little savings...
Old Jan 28th 2011, 2:34 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

The I-864 is enforceable by the US Federal Government. This means if means tested benefits are given to the beneficiary then the US government has the legal recourse to sue for reimbursement of those funds from the financial sponsor.

This is not true of the I-134. Also the I-134 is not adjudicated by the USCIS (Department of Homeland Security) but rather by the US Consulate (Department of State). The US Consulate has the ability to make a judgment call on the acceptance of the I-134 and on whether or not they require a co-sponsor.

For instance, say the USC is working a minimally paid job and does not appear to have the skills to obtain employment at a more skill profession paying a higher salary, then they could very well ask for a co-sponsor. Or if the sponsor has just completed their higher education and is starting their very first job, they can decide that the I-134 can be accepted as is.

I would line up a co-sponsor in your case just to be safe. After all you won't have the ability to work in the US for at least 90 days so you won't be a contributing member of the household at the time of the filing for adjustment of status and the fulfillment of the I-864.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 2:55 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Britlover
What I guess Im asking is....if someone makes EXACTLY (to the dollar) the amount that they need to sponsor their fiance (per requirements from the I-864)....it would get accepted right?
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...38&postcount=9

Ian
Old Jan 28th 2011, 3:55 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

K1 London Financial Support

K-1 Visa: Application Links That Work/Important Evidence of Support Info