Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

and so, our journey begins...

and so, our journey begins...

Old Jul 30th 2012, 10:49 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: and so, our journey begins...

Originally Posted by Snavemada5
I was doing searches on this, and found several posts that mentioned not only including originals of the evidence, but also having the signature notarized.
Next time, also be sure to read the posts that come afterwards... y'know, the ones where people said you didn't need the signature notarized. If you didn't notice any of those, then you need to stop searching on those web sites.

Ian
Old Jul 31st 2012, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

Snavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really nice

Thank you!

Another question... She is filling out the forms today and there is a question about the type of visa... The options are:

a family-sponsored immigrant, employment based immigrant, diversity immigrant, special category, I derive foreign state chargeability under sec.202(b) through my__, Preference, Numerical Limitation

So.. What does K1 fall under. I would guess either family (but we technically aren't yet) or special. What is it??
Old Jul 31st 2012, 3:31 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you!

Another question... She is filling out the forms today and there is a question about the type of visa... The options are:

a family-sponsored immigrant, employment based immigrant, diversity immigrant, special category, I derive foreign state chargeability under sec.202(b) through my__, Preference, Numerical Limitation

So.. What does K1 fall under. I would guess either family (but we technically aren't yet) or special. What is it??
K-1 is family-based. What form is that question on?

Rene
Old Aug 1st 2012, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

Snavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Noorah101
K-1 is family-based. What form is that question on?
It was on the DS-156. Item 45. Right under the heading in bold that said "DO NOT WRITE BELOW THIS AREA THE CONSULAR OFFICER WILL ASSIST YOU" (or something to that effect).
My fiancee got a bit ahead of herself. LOL It's all good now.

A question about the DS-156K...
I searched and saw this thread, which is about a year old: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=732500

Does the advice to ignore the request to attach documents, or only attach copies, and don't worry about the "evidence of engagement" still apply?

Also, how much of this stuff will we need again for the AoS once she's here? I am particularly curious about the police certificate, since it is my understanding they will take the original at the medical.
When she does take things to the interview, she should bring originals and copies of everything, correct?

One more unrelated question: DO any of you have any advice on the easiest and/or most cost effective way to move her money (GBP) to here (USD) and get a good exchange rate with little or no fees. My bank will accept a wire transfer for a fairly cheap fee, regardless of the amount wired. However, I'm not sure how good the rate is. I would love other suggestions.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond repute

Place of issue: Her passport will say UKHO or IPS. An answer of "London" is an acceptable answer to the question.

DS-156: Don't send any documents or evidence with the forms. You can provide all the extra stuff at the interview. Read your instructions given on the London website carefully and send the 4 forms (and duplicates where mentioned).

Order the police certificate.
Get the medical appointment.
Gather the list of things required to be taken in hand to the interview.
Notify London when those things are done by sending in the DS-2001 with the cover letter they explain on the website instruction page.

The ball is in your fiance's court now and the sooner she completes her instructions, the sooner she gets an interview. There have been no noticeable delays with London K1 processing or getting to the interview because of the Olympics.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 2:18 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

No, it is not DS-156. It's DS-230. Part II.

Yes, your fiancee got way ahead of herself - DS-230 Part II is not used for K-visa applications, only Part I is used.

Regards, JEff

It was on the DS-156. Item 45. Right under the heading in bold that said "DO NOT WRITE BELOW THIS AREA THE CONSULAR OFFICER WILL ASSIST YOU" (or something to that effect).
My fiancee got a bit ahead of herself. LOL It's all good now.

What form is that question on?

Rene
Old Aug 1st 2012, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Moxie
Place of issue: Her passport will say UKHO or IPS. An answer of "London" is an acceptable answer to the question.

DS-156: Don't send any documents or evidence with the forms. You can provide all the extra stuff at the interview. Read your instructions given on the London website carefully and send the 4 forms (and duplicates where mentioned).

Order the police certificate.
Get the medical appointment.
Gather the list of things required to be taken in hand to the interview.
Notify London when those things are done by sending in the DS-2001 with the cover letter they explain on the website instruction page.

The ball is in your fiance's court now and the sooner she completes her instructions, the sooner she gets an interview. There have been no noticeable delays with London K1 processing or getting to the interview because of the Olympics.
That sort of kind of answers my next questions. She has completed the DS 230 part I, DS 156, DS 156K, and DS 157. She has two copies of the 156 and 157. The letter says she should send these AND the DS 2001 and cover letter, but the website linked in the same letter identifies these as two separate steps. Should she go ahead and just send the 230, 156, 156K, and 157 forms now, and send the DS 2001 and cover letter later (like, once she receives my package with the I-134)? Also, just to be sure we do not screw up... which of these are signed now and which does she send unsigned?

There was no information on the medical in the letter she received. should she go ahead and schedule that appointment now anyway, rather than waiting for the embassy to tell her to do so?

Finally, when will she pay for the visa application? I understand she has to call a number to do so prior to the interview, but again, no details were received - though I would speculate that would come along with the appointment letter.

They are very good at giving you just enough info to get you from one point to another, but also not enough so that you are left second guessing and wondering if you are doing things right. LOL

Also, Jeffreyhy, I said 156 off of (bad) memory, but knew it was kind of irrelevant since it wasn't needed anyway. My apologies for not double checking.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 5:33 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Should she go ahead and just send the 230, 156, 156K, and 157 forms now...
Yes.

and send the DS 2001 and cover letter later (like, once she receives my package with the I-134)?
Yes.

There was no information on the medical in the letter she received. should she go ahead and schedule that appointment now anyway, rather than waiting for the embassy to tell her to do so?
If she has her LND case number and her police certificate in hand, yes. She will need to bring a photocopy of her police certificate to the medical appointment.

Finally, when will she pay for the visa application?
Anytime between now and the date of the interview.

Rene
Old Aug 1st 2012, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

Yes.
If she has her LND case number and her police certificate in hand, yes. She will need to bring a photocopy of her police certificate to the medical appointment.
A photocopy? Does she need the original at the interview, or just a copy there, too - if at all?

She also needs passport style photos for the medical, or at least one., right? Does US passport style vs UK passport style matter? I was told there is a difference...
Old Aug 1st 2012, 7:16 pm

A photocopy? Does she need the original at the interview, or just a copy there, too - if at all?
She should bring a photocopy to the medical exam, and the original plus a photocopy to the visa interview.

She also needs passport style photos for the medical, or at least one., right? Does US passport style vs UK passport style matter? I was told there is a difference...
I believe she needs a passport-style photo for the medical, yes, although I haven't seen it mentioned on here for a while.

There is a difference between UK and USA passport photo styles, yes. I'm sure she needs the US style for the visa interview. Not sure about the medical, but better to go with US style just to be safe.

Rene
Old Aug 1st 2012, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond repute

That sort of kind of answers my next questions. She has completed the DS 230 part I, DS 156, DS 156K, and DS 157. She has two copies of the 156 and 157. The letter says she should send these AND the DS 2001 and cover letter, but the website linked in the same letter identifies these as two separate steps. Should she go ahead and just send the 230, 156, 156K, and 157 forms now, and send the DS 2001 and cover letter later (like, once she receives my package with the I-134)? Also, just to be sure we do not screw up... which of these are signed now and which does she send unsigned?
You gave a link yourself to the instructions. Go back and read STEP TWO. She can't send the readiness form until she's ready, meaning have all the documents needed for the interview. That means the I-134 from you, police certificate.....click the link in step two to see the complete list. Some people are ready before they even get their instruction letter and have already booked their medical so they can mail in one step. Others need time to get their ducks in a row, so do a separate mailing of the readiness form (DS-2001).

Go back to the instructions STEP THREE, which is where they tell you to schedule the medical. Don't forget to click the link step three tells you to gain further information about the medical.

Finally, when will she pay for the visa application? I understand she has to call a number to do so prior to the interview, but again, no details were received - though I would speculate that would come along with the appointment letter.
Keep reading down the instruction page and you will see a reference to Visa Fees and where the link for the information can be found.

They are very good at giving you just enough info to get you from one point to another, but also not enough so that you are left second guessing and wondering if you are doing things right. LOL
Maybe you arent reading enough because it's there. Read everything and click every link.

Your other questions:
British passport photos are smaller than UK passport photos. The medical folks will be happy to take either. UK size fits their form and they trim down the US size a bit to fit.

Yes you have to take the original police certificate to the interview. If you take the original to the medical, they will give it back to you. Knightsbridge only wants to view it to help evaluate you on the mental health charge.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Moxie
You gave a link yourself to the instructions. Go back and read STEP TWO. She can't send the readiness form until she's ready, meaning have all the documents needed for the interview. That means the I-134 from you, police certificate.....click the link in step two to see the complete list. Some people are ready before they even get their instruction letter and have already booked their medical so they can mail in one step. Others need time to get their ducks in a row, so do a separate mailing of the readiness form (DS-2001).

Go back to the instructions STEP THREE, which is where they tell you to schedule the medical. Don't forget to click the link step three tells you to gain further information about the medical.

Keep reading down the instruction page and you will see a reference to Visa Fees and where the link for the information can be found.

Maybe you arent reading enough because it's there. Read everything and click every link.

Your other questions:
British passport photos are smaller than UK passport photos. The medical folks will be happy to take either. UK size fits their form and they trim down the US size a bit to fit.

Yes you have to take the original police certificate to the interview. If you take the original to the medical, they will give it back to you. Knightsbridge only wants to view it to help evaluate you on the mental health charge.
In my defense...

Step 2 says: "... mail it to the Immigrant Visa Unit together with a covering letter containing your email address, if applicable, date of your wedding and date of the medical examination."

Step 3 says: "Schedule a medical examination with the Embassy approved physician. "

Neither of us are psychic.

The only thing she technically needs for step 2 is the I-134 that I mailed Monday and the medical appointment date, which... yeah... good job, U.S. Embassy. She has had the police certificate since April or so. i was just wondering if it was needed for the Adjustment of Status.
I think she will get a UK photo in Newcastle for the medical, then after the medical, swing by around the vicinity of the embassy and get the US photos somewhere.

Also, the only info I could find about paying was this:
K Visa Applicants pay the fee to the Operator Assisted Information Service prior to attending the visa interview. Instructions concerning payment will be sent to you with the appointment letter.

Regardless, we're ready to do this.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 2:22 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

"technically" - how I hate the misuse of that word. It says what it says.
The only thing she technically needs for step 2 ...
Sounds exactly like what Rene told you - pay any time between now and the visa interview.
Also, the only info I could find about paying was this:
K Visa Applicants pay the fee to the Operator Assisted Information Service prior to attending the visa interview. Instructions concerning payment will be sent to you with the appointment letter.
Regards, JEff
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

JSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of light

I think she will get a UK photo in Newcastle for the medical, then after the medical, swing by around the vicinity of the embassy and get the US photos somewhere.
If she needs to have a UK style photo taken (rather than having a spare one lying around) why not just get the US style ones now? That'll save having to get 2 sets of photos done. Most of the metro stops have photo booths that do 4 US style photos for £7, or there's a place at the top of Grainger St (whose name temporarily escapes me) that does 6 for £10.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

Just an update...
She found a place in Newcastle to get US sized photos, so that is covered. She has sent the DS 230, 156, 156K, and 157. It has been received and signed for (complete with a smiley face. haha) and she received my packet containing the I-134 and other supporting material on Saturday the 4th. She sent the DS 2001 and cover letter today. Her medical is booked for tomorrow (the 7th) at 3:30. She's taking an early train down with an open return time. She should get to London around Noon barring any delays, so she will have plenty of extra time if something goes wrong. I have set our wedding date (10/11/12) with the county court here, so that is ready. It can be changed if necessary... but it is the date we wanted, so hopefully London will come through.

After the medical, it's just a waiting game, right? What is a realistic time frame for getting an appointment letter? I saw a recent post about someone who had issues during this step... so I'm a bit scared... but I know it's beyond our control.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.