Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

and so, our journey begins...

and so, our journey begins...

Old Jan 8th 2012, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

Snavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really nice
Default and so, our journey begins...

Hi,
I joined this forum and introduced myself a few months back. I have found it to be incredibly useful in preparing me and my UK fiancee for everything.
I plan on sending out all of our "step one" documents on 1/23/12. Hopefully *fingers crossed* we will have a final approval in time for a wedding in early October.
Here's what I have, or will have, by 1/23:
- The 129-F
- fully completed (to be safe) G-325A's for both of us
- a copy of my US birth certificate
- a copy of her UK birth certificate
- signed letters of intent from each of us
- the G-1145 notification form
- a photo of us both from her visit over Christmas 2011
- copies of her flight ticket stubs and passport stamps
- passport style photos of both of us
- the $340 check

Am I missing anything?

I do have two small questions on the G-325A.
1 - where is asks "this form is submitted in connection with an application for..." which box should i check - Naturalization, Status as Permanent Resident, or Other? Should it be the same box for both her form and mine?
2 - My state issued birth certificate does not have my father's name on it as my mom was not married at the time and he was not really a part of my life. I know this is not necessarily a rare thing to see, but I am wondering if filling in my father's details on the G-325A is necessary, or if doing so would only cause confusion? The last thing I want is an RFE, so I have the info on there for now.
Any answers or feedback is greatly appreciated!
Old Jan 8th 2012, 9:47 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: and so, our journey begins...

1 - Well, why are you filling out the G-325A forms? Is it because you're applying for naturalization? Is it because you're applying to adjust status to Permanent Resident? That leaves ... ?

Regards, JEff
Old Jan 8th 2012, 10:50 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snavemada5
Should it be the same box for both her form and mine?
Yes... unless you're filling in the form for a different reason than she is!

I am wondering if filling in my father's details on the G-325A is necessary, or if doing so would only cause confusion?
You can't change what shows up on your birth certificate... but you can certainly complete the G-325A with information you have!

Besides... you don't actually need a copy of your birth certificate if you have other proof that you're a US citizen. A passport, for example, will do just as well... and a passport won't have your father's name on it.

Ian
Old Jan 8th 2012, 11:02 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

- a copy of her UK birth certificate
You don't really need to submit this, although if you do it won't hurt anything.

Rene
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

Snavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really nice

I just got back from the post office. Everything is in the mail to Dallas/Lewisville, TX.

How long before I should expect to receive any notifications (good or bad), and how many notifications will I get?
How soon should we start prepping paperwork for her trip to the embassy in London?
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 3:31 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

How long before I should expect to receive any notifications (good or bad), and how many notifications will I get?
NOA1 is the notice of receipt from USCIS, and that should come in the mail within a few weeks.

NOA2 is the notice of approval of the I-129F, and that should come in the mail in about 5 months.

You will hear nothing in between, unless you receive an RFE (Request for Further Evidence).

How soon should we start prepping paperwork for her trip to the embassy in London?
She can start looking over the visa application documents now, online, at the US Embassy London website.

She can look into getting her police report, but maybe wait until closer to when the I-129F will be approved. The police report is good for a year.

She can't do the medical until she has a case number from London.

Rene
Old Feb 4th 2012, 2:29 am
Forum Regular

Thank you Noorah!
I received the NOA1 on the 28th or 29th from the California service center.

Another random question...
I know that they will likely want my US tax history (I've already ordered transcripts) as part of the income requirements. That is no problem.
At any point during the process would they look at her UK tax history for any reason? I know the UK does not file the same way the US does.

The reason I ask is because she is concerned that one of the jobs she put down on her employment history for the G-325A while she was at university may not have paid in UK taxes correctly. From what little I understand about the UK tax system, it would have been out of her control... but we are worrying that it could bite us in the rear unexpectedly.
At the same time, since this is theoretically all in the hands of the US government, I don't know why they would care about her UK tax history.
I appreciate any insight anyone may have into what they "really" look at throughout the process.
Old Feb 4th 2012, 3:21 am

At any point during the process would they look at her UK tax history for any reason?
Nope!

Rene
Old Feb 10th 2012, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

I have a few more questions that have come to me as I read the wikis on this site and sort of try to understand the process of the medical, interview, and after she is approved for a K1.

1 - when she pays for the fees at the medical and at the embassy, does she have to pay in USD, or does she pay in GBP? It's not very clear. What payment method is preferred/best?

2 - Are there any documents that I, the USC, have to fill out aside from the Affidavit of Support? For that, what should the letter from my employer state? Just my continued employment status and wage? Do I need anything besides the letter and three years worth of tax returns?

3 - After she is approved and we get married, we can then get the Social Security card and file for AoS. Realistically, how long before the AoS is approved and she has conditional LPR/Green Card status? I understand that the GC is only good for two years and she must file for the AoS to Permanent Resident and remove conditions... if I read correctly, she has to wait another year after that to apply for US citizenship?

4- If we travel to the UK, to visit her family, do we need anything special to avoid trouble coming back? I presume she will need a US passport at this time, too, correct?

I apologize for all of the questions. I'm just trying to wrap my head around it all so I know what to expect and how much money this is going to take from start to finish (any ideas? haha).
As always, I greatly appreciate your help
Old Feb 10th 2012, 1:54 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

1. The Knightsbridge doctors are a British entity. The US consulate is a US entity. It's clear from the visa pages on the embassy web site that the US wants to be paid in US dollars.

2. A few of your most recent pay statements would support the employer's letter with regard to current income. This is a part of the affidavit of support package.

3. Apply for the SS card before marriage, if you've left enough time between entry and wedding for her to do so.

4. She will need an travel document called Advance Parole to re-enter the USA prior to becoming a Permanent Resident. US passports are only issued to US citizens.

Regards, JEff
Old Feb 10th 2012, 2:03 am

2 - Are there any documents that I, the USC, have to fill out aside from the Affidavit of Support? For that, what should the letter from my employer state? Just my continued employment status and wage? Do I need anything besides the letter and three years worth of tax returns?
The I-134 is all you need to provide, plus 3 years of tax returns and proof of current income (letter from employer and perhaps a few recent pay stubs). Also proof of your US citizenship.

3 - After she is approved and we get married, we can then get the Social Security card and file for AoS. Realistically, how long before the AoS is approved and she has conditional LPR/Green Card status?
About 6 months or so.

I understand that the GC is only good for two years and she must file for the AoS to Permanent Resident and remove conditions... if I read correctly, she has to wait another year after that to apply for US citizenship?
She applies to remove conditions during the 90-day window just before the expiration of her 2-year GC. She can apply for US citizenship 90 days prior to her 3rd anniversary as a PR, AND the marriage must be more than 3 years old.

4- If we travel to the UK, to visit her family, do we need anything special to avoid trouble coming back?
Yes. As part of the AOS package she'll file form I-131 for Advance Parole, which allows her to leave the USA without abandoning her AOS. Don't leave the USA without having AP in hand first.

I presume she will need a US passport at this time, too, correct?
Incorrect. Her foreign passport plus AP document is enough to travel while the AOS process is going on. She won't get a US passport until after she becomes a USC (as you said, about 3 years after she becomes a PR).

I apologize for all of the questions. I'm just trying to wrap my head around it all so I know what to expect and how much money this is going to take from start to finish (any ideas? haha).
I've lost track of how much the K-1 process is. But the I-485 fee (for AOS) can be found at www.uscis.gov, Forms, I-485. It's something like $1,070.

Rene
Old Feb 10th 2012, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
1. The Knightsbridge doctors are a British entity. The US consulate is a US entity. It's clear from the visa pages on the embassy web site that the US wants to be paid in US dollars.
What is the best way for her to pay in USD?

Also,
With what Noorah provided, am I correct in assuming that you file AOS twice, paying the fee twice? Once after marriage and again two years later?

Also... filing 90 days prior to expiration for a process that takes 6 months seems a bit wacky... will she be 'safe' during that time??
Old Feb 10th 2012, 12:45 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

What is the best way for her to pay in USD?
Credit card.

... am I correct in assuming that you file AOS twice, paying the fee twice? Once after marriage and again two years later?
You are incorrect. She files for AOS once... and once only - after the marriage. Two years down the road, she files to remove conditions on the status.

She doesn't need to adjust status twice, because once is sufficient.

Also... filing 90 days prior to expiration for a process that takes 6 months seems a bit wacky... will she be 'safe' during that time??
Yes. She'll receive a letter indicating that her status has been extended for a year.

Ian
Old Feb 10th 2012, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Credit card.

You are incorrect. She files for AOS once... and once only - after the marriage. Two years down the road, she files to remove conditions on the status.

She doesn't need to adjust status twice, because once is sufficient.

Yes. She'll receive a letter indicating that her status has been extended for a year.

Ian
Thank you so much! That clears things up nicely... we are a long way off from this stage (it's been less than a month since our NOA1) but we want to be fully prepared for what lies ahead.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

We have a few more questions...

If she is to continue to use her uk passport after we are married, how can she change her name on it? Does she need to?
Besides the affidavit of support (from me) and police certificate (from her), is there anything else that we should have ready to go as soon as the noa2 comes through?
When she gets the documents from the embassy, will there be anything I need to supply aside from the affidavit of support and related docs (tax forms, employer letter, bank statements)?
How long after we get the noa2 should she expect to receive anything in the post?
Why the heck does this take so long???

Thanks for all of your help thus far!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.