Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

and so, our journey begins...

Wikiposts

and so, our journey begins...

Old Jan 2nd 2013, 4:32 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: and so, our journey begins...

Originally Posted by Snavemada5
Do we need to take anything other than her passport/visa and the appointment letter?
No.

Her Visa expired on 12/19, does that matter?
No.

Rene
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 4:51 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

No, it did not, as has already been explained to you.
Her Visa expired on 12/19, ...
Her visa has not mattered since the day she entered the USA.
...does that matter?
Regards, JEff
Old Jan 17th 2013, 5:10 am
Forum Regular

Snavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really nice

Quick question – We went to the biometrics appointment a few weeks ago... How long after that does it typically take to receive anything regarding the Advance Parole and EAD? What about a current timeline on the Green Card (or interview) itself?
Old Jan 17th 2013, 5:11 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Quick question – We went to the biometrics appointment a few weeks ago... How long after that does it typically take to receive anything regarding the Advance Parole and EAD? What about a current timeline on the Green Card (or interview) itself?
In general, it takes between 60 to 90 days to get AP/EAD in hand. Don't even factor in the biometrics appointment. Just start counting 60 to 90 days from filing AOS and figure it from that date.

It seems the average time from filing AOS to interview is roughly 6 months or so.

Rene
Old Jan 17th 2013, 5:32 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

visajourney.com has an extensive timeline database.

Regards, JEff

Old Feb 4th 2013, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

Snavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really nice

This may be a stupid question, and may be the wrong place to ask, but I am a bit confused about filing taxes this year. She has no income to report, but I am concerned about what her actual legal status is. Do you know if I can still file jointly with the US 1040-EZ?
Old Feb 5th 2013, 12:11 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I am concerned about what her actual legal status is.
She is "pending AOS".

Do you know if I can still file jointly with the US 1040-EZ?
I'm not sure. If she had income prior to coming to the UK, it must be reported. Any tax she paid on that income will be subtracted out later and if she had any assets she may need to also file FBAR and the associated forms. Best to ask your tax questions over in the general USA question... since it's not an immigration issue.

Ian
Old Feb 5th 2013, 1:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I'm not sure. If she had income prior to coming to the UK, it must be reported. Any tax she paid on that income will be subtracted out later and if she had any assets she may need to also file FBAR and the associated forms. Best to ask your tax questions over in the general USA question... since it's not an immigration issue.
Thanks Ian. I will post in the other forum. Just to clarify, we are living in the US filing US taxes. She has already sorted her taxes with the UK.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 5:02 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Just to clarify, we are living in the US filing US taxes. She has already sorted her taxes with the UK.
Right... but the US taxes based on worldwide income, not just income earned in the US.

Ian
Old Mar 13th 2013, 3:41 am
Forum Regular

I have done a poor job at “updating” this thread. Sorry!

We got the EAD/Advance Parole as a little red/white card/ID thing. Shortly after, we received the notice for an interview on 3/21/13 in Detroit, which came with a handy checklist.
It appears that we really just need copies of everything previously submitted as well as originals and copies of her Birth certificate, my birth certificate, marriage certificate, her EAD/AP card, photos/evidence, and her Passport/I-94.
Do you have any advice? Do you think we need anything I have not mentioned?
I’m really looking forward to it… just not so much the drive to east side Detroit.