Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Question for form i-130

Question for form i-130

Old Aug 1st 2018, 12:03 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: i-130 and twins - citizenship and passports

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
If your twins were born in the US (as I understand they were) then they don't need sponsoring. It is only you as the non US citizen.

To sponsor someone using income then your wife needs to be earning around 15K USD. If no income then US family or friends could be joint sponsors. They would need to be earning enough to cover the immigrant and their own household.

You mention 'for 4 kids' in your post - is that a typo error?

Assets can be used - 3 times the required income.
The wife has to sponsor him and if she can't then a joint sponsor is required in addition to her. Yes, there are 4 children. Two from a previous relationship and the twins from this marriage.

You are forgetting that she needs to show an income that will support 5 family members PLUS the husband. Doesn't matter what the citizenship of the children are. So that is 125% of the poverty guidelines for a family of 6 and that is far above $15,000 annually.

I see that our lovely Rene answered this already.

I know it is frustrating Stu but the UK immigration laws for bringing in a spouse are just as stringent when it comes to the financial sponsorship. It is not the US alone that have a financial requirement. I do wish you had stayed in the US when you came and got married and just filed for adjustment of status. At least you would have been working and your salary would have counted on the I-864.

Last edited by Rete; Aug 1st 2018 at 12:08 am.
Old Aug 1st 2018, 1:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
The wife has to sponsor him and if she can't then a joint sponsor is required in addition to her. Yes, there are 4 children. Two from a previous relationship and the twins from this marriage.

You are forgetting that she needs to show an income that will support 5 family members PLUS the husband. Doesn't matter what the citizenship of the children are. So that is 125% of the poverty guidelines for a family of 6 and that is far above $15,000 annually.

I see that our lovely Rene answered this already.

I know it is frustrating Stu but the UK immigration laws for bringing in a spouse are just as stringent when it comes to the financial sponsorship. It is not the US alone that have a financial requirement. I do wish you had stayed in the US when you came and got married and just filed for adjustment of status. At least you would have been working and your salary would have counted on the I-864.
Hi Rete,

Yes, I realise I was mixing up my US sponsorship and UK sponsorship rules...... Have apologised......
Old Aug 1st 2018, 2:42 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stu_blue
It's just stupid the hoopes they make you jump through.

She has hardly earnt anything this past 2 years so she will have next to nothing to go against that required 40,000+ dollars needed for a family of 6

And if she uses savings your saying she needs 3 x that so 120,000. That is just ridiculous. This is going to be a big issue for me and my family now as we just don't have that sort of savings available.

It looks to me like we will not get past this stage then unless by a miracle we win the lottery. We have friends but they have families so will not be able to have the money required. I can maybe get savings up to 30 to 40,000 but it would have to be 3 x that which I don't have.

I don't even need to be sponsored as I will get work and have money to live while I find work.

Don't know where to turn now and I will have to break the news to my wife now.
Your wife has no family that would be willing to be a joint sponsor?

The joint sponsor only needs to earn enough for their own family size plus you, so if you know someone who is a family of 2 or 3, then plus you makes 3 or 4, which is a lower figure than a family of 6 like yours.

Rene
Old Aug 1st 2018, 5:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Question for form i-130

Joint Sponsor would be the way to go, an option not available in the UK.
Old Aug 1st 2018, 4:59 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Hi Rete,

Yes, I realise I was mixing up my US sponsorship and UK sponsorship rules...... Have apologised......
I know ... saw that after I posted. No need to apologize. That's the joy of open posting the ability to an error being openly corrected for the OP.
Old Aug 1st 2018, 5:04 pm
Concierge

Stu it doesn't even have to be a family member. Can be just a close friend of to your wife.

I have to ask though, since she only worked p/t and earns so little, does she collect means tested benefits, i.e. section 8 housing, food stamps, monthly assistance?

Rene, I consider you the expert, but can Stu sponsor himself if he has the savings in his UK account? I don't know what his career is so don't have a clue if employment will be readily available to him if he is able to get here, but can he find employment in the US with a letter from the prospective employer stating that he will be employed asa he arrives in the US at blank position earning $XXXX annually to give to the consulate in addition to his wife's I-864?
Old Aug 1st 2018, 5:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Stu it doesn't even have to be a family member. Can be just a close friend of to your wife.

I have to ask though, since she only worked p/t and earns so little, does she collect means tested benefits, i.e. section 8 housing, food stamps, monthly assistance?

Rene, I consider you the expert, but can Stu sponsor himself if he has the savings in his UK account? I don't know what his career is so don't have a clue if employment will be readily available to him if he is able to get here, but can he find employment in the US with a letter from the prospective employer stating that he will be employed asa he arrives in the US at blank position earning $XXXX annually to give to the consulate in addition to his wife's I-864?
Stu does not have the savings, mentioned above, would be considered joint savings if they did.
Old Aug 1st 2018, 6:37 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, Stu can use savings in the UK as an asset, but must be 3x the amount lacking in income. Seems he doesn't have this much.

Stu cannot use a letter from a future employer to meet the I-864 requirements. The income must be current.

Rene
Old Aug 1st 2018, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

stu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond repute

In answer to my wife she hasn’t worked but I’ve supported both of us in terms of household bills and money for her to use.

She he had some small income from a part time job but nothing to help with this i864.

I find it crazy how you need 3 times what is missing. It’s just not feasible.

If we could find 1 person who could sponsor me that may work as it would be 1 plus me and a lot lower money. Can we pick Any friend who is single and earns enough. Would this look weird the fact it is a friend and not my wife sponsoring me.

Old Aug 2nd 2018, 3:07 am

It won't be weird at all. Its very normal. It will still be your wife sponsoring you, she will still need to complete an I-864. Its just that there will be a joint sponsor helping out as backup.

The joint sponsor doesn't need to be single. They just have to earn enough, and/or have enough in assets to meet the I-864P guidelines.

Do you own a home in the UK that you'll be selling when you move? The equity in that home can be used as an asset.

Rene