packet vs fresh food?

Old Mar 10th 2008, 9:46 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: packet vs fresh food?

Originally Posted by KJ2007
We don't always cook instant items per se - but tonight was a good example. I got home from class at 8:30 and OH had been organizing a room upstairs that's being turned into an office. What's for dinner? Boxed macaroni and cheese with cheddar, tuna, and broccoli thrown in.

Gourmet? No. But it was fast and contained a protein and a veggie. Tomorrow we'll probably cook something and will then eat the leftovers on Wednesday. That tends to be how it goes around here.
There have been nights when soup was dinner.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 11:26 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Nothing wrong with soup for dinner!

2x cans organic garbanzo beans, 1x can organic tomatoes, 1x can organic sweetcorn, 1x packet of organic vegetable broth, cumin, cinnamon, cayenne, paprika to taste. Prep time 5 minutes, cooking time 15-25 minutes = 1 dinner for 2 and lunch for 2 the next day.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 3:40 am
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

I cook a soup that is called ham and lentil but has lots of veggies in it too, makes a great meal.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 4:01 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Delia Smith has just started a new series in the UK which is about how to cheat. That is do some cooking but use some precooked or pre prepared items to reduce the overall time spent. It was almost 'spun' as encouraging the non cookers amongst us to actually do a 'bit' of cooking rather than just warming in the ding. Ie using frozen mash on top of pre cooked salmon fillets to make salmon pie etc. The first episode was last night and the stuff looked quite edible. She wasnt using any old tat however - the mash was just potatoe, butter milk and salt and pepper - she read out the packet ingredients. She also made a shephers pie with a tin of Marks and Spencer minced lamb.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 4:08 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Tonight is left over pizza,
Old Mar 11th 2008, 4:10 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Tonight is left over pizza,
you're lucky, we never have any left over
Old Mar 11th 2008, 4:10 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Hmm..I always look at expiration dates when I buy food. Never had a problem finding a date. You can usually figure out the expiry by looking at the code, once you get used to looking at them. By law, I believe they have to place an expiration, or 'best used by' date on the package.
Just did a quick inventory of all of the food in my office pantry and fridge:

box of crackers
jar of honey
bag of pretzels
jar of almonds
protein bar
pint of milk
can of fruit cocktail
prepackaged deli turkey meat
bag of soy nuts

Every single one of them has an expiration date scanned on to the package.

In my lunch I have a frozen package of Gortons grilled fish fillets and it has "best if used by April 2009" actually pre-printed on the package itself.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 4:14 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Coincidentally, Delia's just come out with a new cooking series that emphasises the use of prepackaged foods to cut down on prep/cook time (eg shep's pie made with pre-packaged mash). On UKNova for those so inclined.

She also talks about "food, faith and football." (Mon the Canaries!)
I cook a lot from scratch but make no apologies when I use something pre-packed. There is stuff there for people who don't have time to cook but are trying to find something a little better than fast food.

Last edited by Leslie; Mar 11th 2008 at 4:17 am.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 4:16 am
WTF?

Originally Posted by shazza777
Why is everything in packets?

In the supermarket the other day i even seen egg whites and egg yolks in a box already prepared! Is it only me that has a problem with E numbers and additives? I don't like the thought of me becoming so lazy that i would reach for a packet or box of quick and easy food rather than cook it from scratch.

Do i need to chill a bit more?

A little more insight would do me the world of good!!
Do you use frozen or canned peas? Or do you go pick the pods from your garden and shell them yourself? To some extent we all use some sort of pre-packaged foods.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 4:21 am
WTF?

Originally Posted by MsElui
Delia Smith has just started a new series in the UK which is about how to cheat. That is do some cooking but use some precooked or pre prepared items to reduce the overall time spent. It was almost 'spun' as encouraging the non cookers amongst us to actually do a 'bit' of cooking rather than just warming in the ding. Ie using frozen mash on top of pre cooked salmon fillets to make salmon pie etc. The first episode was last night and the stuff looked quite edible. She wasnt using any old tat however - the mash was just potatoe, butter milk and salt and pepper - she read out the packet ingredients. She also made a shephers pie with a tin of Marks and Spencer minced lamb.
Something we do about once a week is make a frozen pizza (Freshetta self rising is yummy) .... I add a little bit fresh cheese, italian seasonings, onions and pressed garlic. It makes a big difference in the taste and only takes a couple of extra minutes. I've always done stuff like that when I didn't have time to make a full meal from scratch.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Something we do about once a week is make a frozen pizza (Freshetta self rising is yummy) .... I add a little bit fresh cheese, italian seasonings, onions and pressed garlic. It makes a big difference in the taste and only takes a couple of extra minutes. I've always done stuff like that when I didn't have time to make a full meal from scratch.
I add all kinds of stuff to a jar of Prego to make it divine. It all depends on how much time we have really. It's the sodium content in things I have to watch for, not easy over here!
Old Mar 11th 2008, 4:35 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bevinva

The more I hear about Trader Joes the more I want one here, do they have really good strong coffee beans too?
The coffee is pretty good
Old Mar 11th 2008, 4:40 am
baby catcher

Belinda-wales is a splendid one to beholdBelinda-wales is a splendid one to beholdBelinda-wales is a splendid one to beholdBelinda-wales is a splendid one to beholdBelinda-wales is a splendid one to beholdBelinda-wales is a splendid one to beholdBelinda-wales is a splendid one to beholdBelinda-wales is a splendid one to beholdBelinda-wales is a splendid one to beholdBelinda-wales is a splendid one to beholdBelinda-wales is a splendid one to behold

I add all kinds of stuff to a jar of Prego to make it divine. It all depends on how much time we have really. It's the sodium content in things I have to watch for, not easy over here!
OMG- I tried low sodium- cambels tom soup once it was unedible untill I add a load of salt
Old Mar 11th 2008, 4:44 am
WTF?

Absolutely true .... if it's not the sodium it's the sugar. That's why I do try to cook as much as possible from scratch. Anymore, prepackaged or restaurant food is a "treat" for me rather than a way of life.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 4:46 am
WTF?

Originally Posted by Belinda-wales
OMG- I tried low sodium- cambels tom soup once it was unedible untill I add a load of salt
Sometimes it's just not worth it .... some of the low sodium or low fat stuff is disgusting. I'd rather just skip it or make it myself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.