packet vs fresh food?

Old Mar 10th 2008, 1:29 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: packet vs fresh food?

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
If you actually looked at the packaging on foods, you'll see the expiry code/date.
errr penguin, that's exactly what i do, look at the packaging

this c/o FDA. note in particular the fourth sentence from the end ~

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/qa-ind7c.html

if there is a recent amendment to this our local stores are not adhering to it.

Last edited by TruBrit; Mar 10th 2008 at 1:32 am.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 2:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
not what i've been told in our local randalls or kroger.
Hmm..I always look at expiration dates when I buy food. Never had a problem finding a date. You can usually figure out the expiry by looking at the code, once you get used to looking at them. By law, I believe they have to place an expiration, or 'best used by' date on the package.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 2:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Lazy?

We're worked to death here. The last thing I want to do when I get home is.... anything other than sit like a zombie, and I speak for my Dutch husband as well. He's the one that has actually worked in a country where employees are treated decently.

I used to love to cook and have the cookbooks and kit to prove it, but any love of it has been beaten out of me by sheer exhaustion. On the weekends we're busy doing everything that we can't get done during the week.

I've been keeping up with the garden more lately, but only just.
I know exactly what you mean SB. Thanks for taking the words out of my mouth. After working all day, who the hell has time to cook?!

(I'm going to have to learn to use that multi-quote thing one of these days)
Old Mar 10th 2008, 3:01 am

JEM3110 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
I know exactly what you mean SB. Thanks for taking the words out of my mouth. After working all day, who the hell has time to cook?!

That's why the pizza delivery boy was put on this earth
Old Mar 10th 2008, 3:50 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmm..I always look at expiration dates when I buy food. Never had a problem finding a date. You can usually figure out the expiry by looking at the code, once you get used to looking at them. By law, I believe they have to place an expiration, or 'best used by' date on the package.
did you read the link in post 31....FDA does not require expiration dates on most products.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 5:17 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

did you read the link in post 31....FDA does not require expiration dates on most products.
... but some industries label their products regardless of FDA requirements.

I found this page that helps consumers to interpret food expiration dates:
http://www.amarogue.com/foodcode.html
Old Mar 10th 2008, 6:51 am

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
this stuff is what marks and sparks pioneered.

its great for single people who don't have the time or inclination to prepare/cook etc
I don't agree as potatoes don't take long to cook. I make them all the time.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 7:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by or4ngecrush
I don't agree as potatoes don't take long to cook. I make them all the time.
Throwing potatoes in the micro for 30sec to a minute is alot quicker than boiling them for 20-30minutes then taking 3-5min to mash them up.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 7:21 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Throwing potatoes in the micro for 30sec to a minute is alot quicker than boiling them for 20-30minutes then taking 3-5min to mash them up.
Don't forget peeling 'em.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 7:23 am

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Don't forget peeling 'em.
I love the skin mmmm
Old Mar 10th 2008, 7:51 am
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by or4ngecrush
I saw in Tescos once pre packaged mash, not freeze dried but actually mash to be heated. Mash is so easy to make too.
Oh, they have THAT here. My wife buys it. I like regular mash and she likes the sweet potato kind. Bleugh.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 7:54 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme
Oh, they have THAT here. My wife buys it. I like regular mash and she likes the sweet potato kind. Bleugh.
Bob Evans is the best.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 8:47 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shazza777
The trouble is that i have found i love those peanut butter items, they have a tast of UK chocolate, i think they call them Reeces! you can get them in cereal, chocolate cups, bars, everything! i think i am an addict.
me too, reeces are delicious esp the nutty ones
Congratulations to you two, strong and clever people! Peanut Butter & choc, especially Reese's, is one of the finest combos ever created. Many of your brand can't bear it, so you 2 must be special!

Originally Posted by bevinva
The more I hear about Trader Joes the more I want one here, do they have really good strong coffee beans too?
Yes, their French Roast is very good, but you'll find equally good/less price at Costco.

Just click the little button for every post you want to reply to and click 'reply to thread' when you are ready to spout forth. All the quotes will be there, in the order you clicked them (you can skip around in the thread and take everything out of context and order if you want!)
Old Mar 10th 2008, 2:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
The lazy thing I'm sure wasn't meant as accusatory, although I did think of the old walk in someone else's moccasins cliche.... But like you and Kathy ,I too don't feel like plunging into a "from scratch" preparation at 730 at night. When I make an effort to organize myself a crockpot is my friend.
We don't always cook instant items per se - but tonight was a good example. I got home from class at 8:30 and OH had been organizing a room upstairs that's being turned into an office. What's for dinner? Boxed macaroni and cheese with cheddar, tuna, and broccoli thrown in.

Gourmet? No. But it was fast and contained a protein and a veggie. Tomorrow we'll probably cook something and will then eat the leftovers on Wednesday. That tends to be how it goes around here.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 5:20 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Coincidentally, Delia's just come out with a new cooking series that emphasises the use of prepackaged foods to cut down on prep/cook time (eg shep's pie made with pre-packaged mash). On UKNova for those so inclined.

She also talks about "food, faith and football." (Mon the Canaries!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.