packet vs fresh food?

Old Mar 9th 2008, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

shazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to behold
Default packet vs fresh food?

Why is everything in packets?

In the supermarket the other day i even seen egg whites and egg yolks in a box already prepared! Is it only me that has a problem with E numbers and additives? I don't like the thought of me becoming so lazy that i would reach for a packet or box of quick and easy food rather than cook it from scratch.

Do i need to chill a bit more?

A little more insight would do me the world of good!!
Old Mar 9th 2008, 9:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: packet vs fresh food?

Originally Posted by shazza777

In the supermarket the other day i even seen egg whites and egg yolks in a box already prepared! Is it only me that has a problem with E numbers and additives? I don't like the thought of me becoming so lazy that i would reach for a packet or box of quick and easy food rather than cook it from scratch.

I was laughing over a bag of frozen cooked white rice the other day. I think it comes down to convenience for dual income families. We like those frozen pasta dinners from Bertolli's for weeknights - oftentimes we don't get home until 7pm or so ... so cooking from scratch would make for a late night. On the weekends we cook.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

shazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by KJ2007
I was laughing over a bag of frozen cooked white rice the other day. I think it comes down to convenience for dual income families. We like those frozen pasta dinners from Bertolli's for weeknights - oftentimes we don't get home until 7pm or so ... so cooking from scratch would make for a late night. On the weekends we cook.
I think it boils down to convenience then? i can understand that, maybe i will look at it all differently when i start work.

Watch this space- in a couple of months i will be saying "what will i do without convenience food" lol
Old Mar 9th 2008, 9:30 pm

JEM3110 is an unknown quantity at this point

When I first arrived here in US and did some grocery shopping, I was horrified at the amount of additives and colours in the food marketed at kids eg breakfast cereals, yogurts, cookies, frosted cupcakes, mac & cheese etc. I simply refuse to buy these foods, no matter how much my son wants them! I soon discovered Trader Joe's and shop there whenever I can.

Using the cartons of ready to use egg and egg whites, must be the ultimate in laziness, I mean, how much of a hassle is it to crack open a fresh egg? I also hate eggs with white shells and prefer a nice healthy looking brown free-range one!

Additives and colours are in so much of the food here and it's a pain reading all the labels for nutritional information. The only way to avoid them is to drink only water and to cook all your meals from scratch using fresh ingredients!! I would say that is virtually impossible in todays society.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 9:36 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

yep, you need to chill to survive for sure.

that's why lots of us Brits ramble on so much saying we miss M&S etc coz of the fresh produce. lots of foods here don't have expiry dates either and if they do theys may be well out of date. you have to shop to find fresh not pre frozen meats and not pumped up with crap. not good, all looks nice but when you take a closer look it's all very disappointing.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 9:38 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget that the dozen pre-peeled boiled eggs that are sold here. Actually, the same thing may be sold in the UK.

In the latest Trader Joe flyer, there's an announcement that they sell ready-to-use mirepoix.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 9:39 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit

that's why lots of us Brits ramble on so much saying we miss M&S etc coz of the fresh produce. lots of foods here don't have expiry dates either and if they do theys may be well out of date. you have to shop to find fresh not pre frozen meats and not pumped up with crap. not good, all looks nice but when you take a closer look it's all very disappointing.
Actually, most foods, prepared and fresh, do have expiration dates except in most cases, it's a code and not an actual date.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 9:41 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Those eggs that come in cartons are eaten by people on low cholesterol diets. It's real eggs, but the cholesterol has been lowered considerably. Also, I think you can get egg whites, for peeps on a very low cholesterol diet. It's not about cracking an egg, it's a health thing. They say they are much healthier than the real eggs.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit

that's why lots of us Brits ramble on so much saying we miss M&S etc coz of the fresh produce. lots of foods here don't have expiry dates either and if they do theys may be well out of date. you have to shop to find fresh not pre frozen meats and not pumped up with crap. not good, all looks nice but when you take a closer look it's all very disapp ointing.
Too true!
The worst offender is bread, I mean what the heck do they put in that most basic of foods! Until I moved to the US I never knew bread could last 3 weeks or more...
Old Mar 9th 2008, 9:47 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Actually, most foods, prepared and fresh, do have expiration dates except in most cases, it's a code and not an actual date.
not what i've been told in our local randalls or kroger.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 9:52 pm

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point

I saw in Tescos once pre packaged mash, not freeze dried but actually mash to be heated. Mash is so easy to make too.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

The trouble is that i have found i love those peanut butter items, they have a tast of UK chocolate, i think they call them Reeces! you can get them in cereal, chocolate cups, bars, everything! i think i am an addict.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 10:00 pm
Account Closed

a friend sent me this book when i moved here and it makes a good read however even without purchasing it the article itself is interesting....

http://www.healthyeatingadvisor.com/foodadditives.html
Old Mar 9th 2008, 10:02 pm
Account Closed

The trouble is that i have found i love those peanut butter items, they have a tast of UK chocolate, i think they call them Reeces! you can get them in cereal, chocolate cups, bars, everything! i think i am an addict.
me too, reeces are delicious esp the nutty ones
Old Mar 9th 2008, 10:03 pm

My gran used to say "A little bit of what you fancy, does you good!"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.