packet vs fresh food?

Old Mar 9th 2008, 10:05 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: packet vs fresh food?

Originally Posted by or4ngecrush
I saw in Tescos once pre packaged mash, not freeze dried but actually mash to be heated. Mash is so easy to make too.
this stuff is what marks and sparks pioneered.

its great for single people who don't have the time or inclination to prepare/cook etc
Old Mar 9th 2008, 10:05 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JEM3110
My gran used to say "A little bit of what you fancy, does you good!"
snap! my Gran used to say exactly the same but she always had a little glint in her eye and i wonder to this day if she was referring to just food
Old Mar 9th 2008, 10:14 am
baby catcher

Belinda-wales is a splendid one to beholdBelinda-wales is a splendid one to beholdBelinda-wales is a splendid one to beholdBelinda-wales is a splendid one to beholdBelinda-wales is a splendid one to beholdBelinda-wales is a splendid one to beholdBelinda-wales is a splendid one to beholdBelinda-wales is a splendid one to beholdBelinda-wales is a splendid one to beholdBelinda-wales is a splendid one to beholdBelinda-wales is a splendid one to behold

Its difficult I try to give my boys healthy as possible so I cook some stuff from fresh and use the best ofthe other stuff- anyway you will eat out so much and who hell knowes whats in that!
Old Mar 9th 2008, 10:39 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
this stuff is what marks and sparks pioneered.

its great for single people who don't have the time or inclination to prepare/cook etc
The best one here is Bob Evan's brand.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 1:48 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: packet vs fresh food?

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Actually, most foods, prepared and fresh, do have expiration dates except in most cases, it's a code and not an actual date.
Originally Posted by TruBrit
not what i've been told in our local randalls or kroger.
If you actually looked at the packaging on foods, you'll see the expiry code/date.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

There are days I cook from scratch and days I manage to burn boxed pizza. My youngest son says he'll take the burnt pizza because the other days make up for it. He is the only one in the house that actually pumps his fist in the air and says "Yes!!" when the meal fits his mood.

The more I hear about Trader Joes the more I want one here, do they have really good strong coffee beans too?
Old Mar 9th 2008, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shazza777
Why is everything in packets?

In the supermarket the other day i even seen egg whites and egg yolks in a box already prepared! Is it only me that has a problem with E numbers and additives? I don't like the thought of me becoming so lazy that i would reach for a packet or box of quick and easy food rather than cook it from scratch.

Do i need to chill a bit more?

A little more insight would do me the world of good!!
LOL, no it isn't you, I think the same. It's sheer laziness, isn't it?
Old Mar 9th 2008, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
snap! my Gran used to say exactly the same but she always had a little glint in her eye and i wonder to this day if she was referring to just food
I don't think many grannies meant food... damn... and there was me getting fat...
Old Mar 9th 2008, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

In the supermarket the other day i even seen egg whites and egg yolks in a box already prepared! Is it only me that has a problem with E numbers and additives? I don't like the thought of me becoming so lazy that i would reach for a packet or box of quick and easy food rather than cook it from scratch.

Every so often I think about buying a packet mix of something - I thought about buying some stuffing the other day. A quick look at the ingredients soon has me putting the box back on the shelf.

I actually think we've eaten better since we've been in the US because I don't buy pre-packaged meals.

They say for a healthier diet buy stuff from round the edges of supermarkets and avoid the aisles in the middle.

I do however really like the brown rice that cooks in 5 minutes...
Old Mar 9th 2008, 3:44 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bevinva
There are days I cook from scratch and days I manage to burn boxed pizza.
The secret is to take it out of the box first...
Old Mar 9th 2008, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

A lot of people are allergic to egg yolks, hence the egg whites in a box. Actually they are quite good and save having to throw the yolk away from an egg with a shell.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bevinva
There are days I cook from scratch and days I manage to burn boxed pizza. My youngest son says he'll take the burnt pizza because the other days make up for it. He is the only one in the house that actually pumps his fist in the air and says "Yes!!" when the meal fits his mood.

The more I hear about Trader Joes the more I want one here, do they have really good strong coffee beans too?
We have a couple of new Fresh & Easy stores just opened about 5 mins from my house. Went to one on Sat and I thought it was good, reminded me a bit of Marks & Sparks, the food (applies mostly to fruit and veg)is pre-packaged. Got talking to the manager, a Brit and he said that within the next couple of months that the British stuff will be populating the stores. Right now I get my tbags and choc at World Market, but he says that his stuff will be way cheaper, we shall see. I was impressed though and I thought it was cheap, he gave me a bunch of $5 off coupons.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 6:30 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Lazy?

We're worked to death here. The last thing I want to do when I get home is.... anything other than sit like a zombie, and I speak for my Dutch husband as well. He's the one that has actually worked in a country where employees are treated decently.

I used to love to cook and have the cookbooks and kit to prove it, but any love of it has been beaten out of me by sheer exhaustion. On the weekends we're busy doing everything that we can't get done during the week.

I've been keeping up with the garden more lately, but only just.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof
The secret is to take it out of the box first...
Sometimes eating the box would taste better.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 9:51 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Lazy?

We're worked to death here. The last thing I want to do when I get home is.... anything other than sit like a zombie, and I speak for my Dutch husband as well. He's the one that has actually worked in a country where employees are treated decently.

I used to love to cook and have the cookbooks and kit to prove it, but any love of it has been beaten out of me by sheer exhaustion. On the weekends we're busy doing everything that we can't get done during the week.

I've been keeping up with the garden more lately, but only just.
The lazy thing I'm sure wasn't meant as accusatory, although I did think of the old walk in someone else's moccasins cliche.... But like you and Kathy ,I too don't feel like plunging into a "from scratch" preparation at 730 at night. When I make an effort to organize myself a crockpot is my friend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.